Chris Simms thinks Stidham is more talented than Tua

https://www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2020/6/12/21288719/nbcs-chris-simms-jarrett-stidham-is-more-talented-than-tua-miami-dolphins-new-england-patriots Is Chris Simms this stupid? I like that he’s all for Allen but this is just ridiculous. Stidham was mediocre at best in college and hasn’t really proven to be anything much more in the NFL. He’s another Matt Cassel from what I’ve see from him

• Haha (+1) 2

Yeah, this is stupid talk.  It’s his opinion but I do wonder, under polygraph, does he really believe it?  I think this is his hot take because if by some miracle JS is better, he will be like the only human being predicting it.  How fast would the Pats trade Stidham for Tua?  

I get the Bama talent thing but he looked special.  Great touch in his passes and hits guys in stride.  I truly believe injuries are the only thing that will keep him from being a star.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2020/6/12/21288719/nbcs-chris-simms-jarrett-stidham-is-more-talented-than-tua-miami-dolphins-new-england-patriots Is Chris Simms this stupid? I like that he’s all for Allen but this is just ridiculous. Stidham was mediocre at best in college and hasn’t really proven to be anything much more in the NFL. He’s another Matt Cassel from what I’ve see from him

I mean - he's not wrong.  College success doesn't really mean anything when translating to the NFL.  Look at Leinart, Vince young, Tebow... and many others.  Having a stacked supporting cast makes it even more difficult to evaluate.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, dneveu said:

I mean - he's not wrong.  College success doesn't really mean anything when translating to the NFL.  Look at Leinart, Vince young, Tebow... and many others.  Having a stacked supporting cast makes it even more difficult to evaluate.

The problem with leinhart is that he was a party animal and never really studied and also had a weak arm and was sent to the worst team he could’ve been drafted by. Vince young was a mental nutcase and Tebow again lacked arm strength and his inability to read defenses cost him.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Well Young was the Rookie of the Year.  But you can break those down individually.  The most shocking is Leinart but looking back, him going back to school to bed more co-eds is a red flag.  Young and especially Tebow had serious mechanical issues and overwhelmingly relied on their legs.  Tua is a very pure pocket passer who might have been the #1 overall pick if healthy.  

I watched Stidham a lot in college and saw nothing special.  He was a dime a dozen type guy.  The only reason he has any hype is because he’s on NE.  If he was on the Bengals, no one would care.  This is a Skip Bayless hot take.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

The problem with leinhart is that he was a party animal and never really studied and also had a weak arm and was sent to the worst team he could’ve been drafted by. Vince young was a mental nutcase and Tebow again lacked arm strength and his inability to read defenses cost him.  

Well said.  Leinart’s arm was pretty weak.  And I forgot about how crazy Young was.

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Right... We know all of that now.  There are concerns with Tua too.

13 on the wonderlic.  Other than lamar jackson who else has been remotely successful with a score that low?  

Rumored issues with the white board at the combine.  

Injury issues

I think the callout of his absurd talent at WR and OT is something to keep in mind.  Physical talent is there - but did these guys make it a bit easier for him?  Can't really deny that.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well Young was the Rookie of the Year.  But you can break those down individually.  The most shocking is Leinart but looking back, him going back to school to bed more co-eds is a red flag.  Young and especially Tebow had serious mechanical issues and overwhelmingly relied on their legs.  Tua is a very pure pocket passer who might have been the #1 overall pick if healthy.  

I watched Stidham a lot in college and saw nothing special.  He was a dime a dozen type guy.  The only reason he has any hype is because he’s on NE.  If he was on the Bengals, no one would care.  This is a Skip Bayless hot take.

Well said.  Leinart’s arm was pretty weak.  And I forgot about how crazy Young was.

I saw Young beat the Bills at the Ralph as a rookie w the Oilers.  He did it with his legs.  His later tryout w the Bills ended in preseason as he would not run the O, called what he wanted. Yeh, carzy.

14 minutes ago, dneveu said:

13 on the wonderlic.  Other than lamar jackson who else has been remotely successful with a score that low?  

Injury issues

I think the callout of his absurd talent at WR and OT is something to keep in mind.  Physical talent is there - but did these guys make it a bit easier for him?  Can't really deny that.  

Jim Kelly ?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I watched a lot of Auburn football living in SEC country.  And you all should know that I am way higher on Jake Fromm and Jarret Stidham then many of you based on my previous posts.  

On the whole Stidham was better then mediocre in college.  He was good for the most part.  And at times very good, and at times average.  He has a good arm and is a gamer.  He tends to panic against a big pass rush and drift backwards to his right ala Baker Mayfield.  (See the game at Clemson in 2017 when he got sacked 10 times)  But you have to understand that Auburn has not gotten nearly the offensive talent that Alabama LSU and Georgia have got the past 5-7 years since they played in the Nat Title game against FSU, which is ironic given that Gus Malzahn is an offensive minded coach.  Their O line is mediocre as our most of their skill players.  Their program rolls behind its defense.  Which is always top notch.  

Whether Stidham is better then Tua remains to be seen.  But Simms is correct about some of the throws Tua makes.  He has guys wide open a whole bunch of the time.  Stidham and Fromm for that matter did not have that luxury.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Injury issues

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I watched a lot of Auburn football living in SEC country.  And you all should know that I am way higher on Jake Fromm and Jarret Stidham then many of you based on my previous posts.  

On the whole Stidham was better then mediocre in college.  He was good for the most part.  And at times very good, and at times average.  He has a good arm and is a gamer.  He tends to panic against a big pass rush and drift backwards to his right ala Baker Mayfield.  (See the game at Clemson in 2017 when he got sacked 10 times)  But you have to understand that Auburn has not gotten nearly the offensive talent that Alabama LSU and Georgia have got the past 5-7 years since they played in the Nat Title game against FSU, which is ironic given that Gus Malzahn is an offensive minded coach.  Their O line is mediocre as our most of their skill players.  Their program rolls behind its defense.  Which is always top notch.  

Whether Stidham is better then Tua remains to be seen.  But Simms is correct about some of the throws Tua makes.  He has guys wide open a whole bunch of the time.  Stidham and Fromm for that matter did not have that luxury.  

I'm sorry but you guys are off on this and yes Chris Simms is an idiot.

I watch a ton of college football as well.  I went to Clemson so I am no Alabama fan, and I am always wary of overhyping a player with great support cast, particularly with that program, but Tua is an absolute scary good NFL prospect.  This is not an Alabama MLB with 3 NFL worthy DL in front of him clearing the way where you can't quite tell from the film.  This is a quarterback making jaw dropping throws on a consistent basis.  I acknowledge the injury risk, but his arm talent is undeniable and already better than 90% of current NFL Qbs.  I have never seen a QB with his touch/accuracy/timing at the college level and he has way more arm strength than Tebow/Leinart.  He can sit in the pocket and pick you apart and also keep plays alive like Russel Wilson.  His throws on the run are unbelievable.  The only guy I can compare his arm talent to is Drew Brees.  I'm scared as heck as to what he might do in Miami the next ten years if they can even partially right the ship on their rebuild with the rest of their roster.  In my mind he is single handedly the biggest threat the Bills face in the AFCE.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jim Kelly ?

I get the feeling that back in the 80’s and 90’s that the wonderlic was viewed as a kind of who gives a ***** kind of test. I bet they just took the test without studying up on it and just said who cares. 

Now it seems like certain positions hold the wonderlic test in higher regard. Agents, players and teams put a lot more into the wonderlic now. If a QB scored a 13 now that would be a red flag, in the 80’s and 90’s it was ho-hum.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I get the feeling that back in the 80’s and 90’s that the wonderlic was viewed as a kind of who gives a ***** kind of test. I bet they just took the test without studying up on it and just said who cares. 

Now it seems like certain positions hold the wonderlic test in higher regard. Agents, players and teams put a lot more into the wonderlic now. If a QB scored a 13 now that would be a red flag, in the 80’s and 90’s it was ho-hum.

You could be right but Steve Young got 33 and Elway got a 29.  All respect to the best qb in franchise history, but I don’t think Kelly coming from Miami was some kind of genius.  

• Like (+1) 2

One big hit to his wrist, hip, or ankle and all the arm talent and touch mean nothing, the guy certainly has potential, but as what’s his name, the tuna said, potential means you haven’t done sh-t yet... just sayin. 

I like being a curmudgeon ?

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

In my mind, when you talk about QBs that are most likely to be successful at the NFL level, talent is rarely the defining characteristic. If it were, RGIII, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell would be winning multiple championships so to me, it is much more about the ability to lead an Offense and be efficient and capable within the framework of the given Offense. To that end, maybe Stidham will be better in the long-run based on the aforementioned traits, but it's hard to argue that Tua has less significant raw, unprocessed talent. However, the ability to handle the mental workload, to make accurate reads and passes, handle his business off the field and lead while on it, taking the relentless work ethic to a new level, and ability to rally his teammates when the collective spirit is down, is yet to be determined and may have more merit than just talent.