Dave Chappelle releases half-hour stand-up special 8:46

GregPersons

Everybody knows Dave but if you're not familiar with his stand-up, he's generally someone who "writes on stage" and as such his shows are often VERY long, and rambling, and over time he edits and condenses into polished material. That's why he's usually been one of the stricter comedians with people filming his sets in comedy clubs and releasing them early.

So it's notable that he'd released "unfinished" material like this. The title of the special is the amount of time George Floyd was struggling for life while being choked to death by a police officer in front of 3 other police officers. 

I don't like/agree with Dave on everything but I've always enjoyed his comedy. This is not exactly "comedy" I should maybe warn you — it is funny in some spots, but it is also very raw. It's NSFW and maybe think of it more like a one-man podcast; it's an argument and a train of thought.

It's undeniably passionate and captivating and if you liked Dave elsewhere you might like his thoughts on the chaos of the last few weeks.

Tangential but I think he still lives on a farm in Ohio, right?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Dave is a king of comedy and that's not debatable. He's offensive but super-smart.

And yes, he lives north of here up in Yellow Springs, OH, near Xenia/Dayton. He crashes the local breweries once in a while.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Chappelle the undisputed GOAT.  "I dare you to say me" :lol: 

He's right though.  Dave Chappelle might be the only person I've listened to who never lied to me.

• Like (+1) 1

I've watched this twice now and I think it might be my favorite set I've ever seen from him. I really didn't like his recent couple of Netflix specials. The first two were OK but mostly he seemed too foggy.

This is the clearest and most focused I've seen him since Chappelle's Show... there's not a ton of punchlines, but the ones that are in there hit. And he'll definitely continue evolving his thoughts on it. 

I hope this also brings out Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy, both of those guys are also capable of GOAT status if they get into fighting shape. The news cycle of the present day seems perfect for them to come back and bring the heat. 

Jerry Seinfeld's released enough specials, we're pretty set with him. But it's been a long while since Rock was doing specials, and obviously Eddie hasn't done anything for decades but now he's thinking of getting back in 

Anyway yeah this is fire and 

45 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Dave is a king of comedy and that's not debatable. He's offensive but super-smart.

And yes, he lives north of here up in Yellow Springs, OH, near Xenia/Dayton. He crashes the local breweries once in a while.

That's awesome. This set is recorded in Ohio yeah? Do you know the venue?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:37 AM, GregPersons said:

That's awesome. This set is recorded in Ohio yeah? Do you know the venue?

This is just a guess but I think it's at a park in Yellow Springs. He made references to "right here" when talking about stuff that happened to him.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is just a guess but I think it's at a park in Yellow Springs. He made references to "right here" when talking about stuff that happened to him.

Yeah it's definitely in Ohio and I think it's in Yellow Springs too... I thought it might even be his home but I don't think so? I have some friends that live near Dayton-ish who say their friends/family see Dave out and about all the time. 

I didn't realize he wrote on stage, that's pretty fricking amazing and now that you say it it makes total sense...i just thought it was his presentation that gave that impression.  He is one funny SOB!  Also had no clue he was from Ohio, thought he was a big city guy.

Damn, that was a great set.  Wasn't comedy by any means but he delivered a pretty strong message.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:08 AM, GregPersons said:

Everybody knows Dave but if you're not familiar with his stand-up, he's generally someone who "writes on stage" and as such his shows are often VERY long, and rambling, and over time he edits and condenses into polished material. That's why he's usually been one of the stricter comedians with people filming his sets in comedy clubs and releasing them early.

So it's notable that he'd released "unfinished" material like this. The title of the special is the amount of time George Floyd was struggling for life while being choked to death by a police officer in front of 3 other police officers. 

I don't like/agree with Dave on everything but I've always enjoyed his comedy. This is not exactly "comedy" I should maybe warn you — it is funny in some spots, but it is also very raw. It's NSFW and maybe think of it more like a one-man podcast; it's an argument and a train of thought.

It's undeniably passionate and captivating and if you liked Dave elsewhere you might like his thoughts on the chaos of the last few weeks.

Edited by The Poojer
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I didn't realize he wrote on stage, that's pretty fricking amazing and now that you say it it makes total sense...i just thought it was his presentation that gave that impression.  He is one funny SOB!  Also had no clue he was from Ohio, thought he was a big city guy.

Damn, that was a great set.  Wasn't comedy by any means but he delivered a pretty strong message.

He does a lot of long sets to build up, so he can ramble and find his ideas as he goes. There's twitter video somewhere of him basically asking the crowd for suggestions on topics and finding great material that way. 

It can be a really bad approach to comedy in most hands, but comics like Chappelle who've been doing it so long, it's like a second language. He can just organize and present his thoughts with comedy timing and rhythm and logic even when he's just working through thinking things out. Even in this video if you watch it more than once, you see how — the laughter isn't there because this is all very raw, emotionally, there's no distance — but he focuses on the absurdity, in his cadence, his language. It's all in comedy language, even though it doesn't feel like comedy because of the rawness. You can almost imagine this same material, a year from now, in a larger venue, but all of these lines getting big laughs, even as dark as the subject matter is. This is like an open mic set in a way. It's really interesting! 

Glad you liked it. But yeah Dave is always been a small town guy at heart. He's a really interesting one. Remember back in like 2005ish or so when Chappelle's Show ended unexpectedly? He basically freaked out because of the intense amount of new fame and ran away for awhile to re-center himself. This was obviously the smart decision. Look at any person who stays famous for long periods of time at that level of intensity... they all go insane.

Fame is corrosive to the brain. I think Dave realized that, along with other things. It's cool to see that since then he's pretty much stayed in Yellow Springs, OH, travels a bit for comedy but otherwise is really just a guy in Ohio lol. At least thats the story I hear second/third-hand from Dayton-area people.

Edited by GregPersons
  • Like (+1) 1

thanks for that information.  Everytime i watch him i ask myself why i have yet to really immerse myself into his whole body of work.  He's almost Carlinesque....humor that makes you cringe and laugh at the same time

2 hours ago, GregPersons said:

He does a lot of long sets to build up, so he can ramble and find his ideas as he goes. There's twitter video somewhere of him basically asking the crowd for suggestions on topics and finding great material that way. 

It can be a really bad approach to comedy in most hands, but comics like Chappelle who've been doing it so long, it's like a second language. He can just organize and present his thoughts with comedy timing and rhythm and logic even when he's just working through thinking things out. Even in this video if you watch it more than once, you see how — the laughter isn't there because this is all very raw, emotionally, there's no distance — but he focuses on the absurdity, in his cadence, his language. It's all in comedy language, even though it doesn't feel like comedy because of the rawness. You can almost imagine this same material, a year from now, in a larger venue, but all of these lines getting big laughs, even as dark as the subject matter is. This is like an open mic set in a way. It's really interesting! 

Glad you liked it. But yeah Dave is always been a small town guy at heart. He's a really interesting one. Remember back in like 2005ish or so when Chappelle's Show ended unexpectedly? He basically freaked out because of the intense amount of new fame and ran away for awhile to re-center himself. This was obviously the smart decision. Look at any person who stays famous for long periods of time at that level of intensity... they all go insane.

Fame is corrosive to the brain. I think Dave realized that, along with other things. It's cool to see that since then he's pretty much stayed in Yellow Springs, OH, travels a bit for comedy but otherwise is really just a guy in Ohio lol. At least thats the story I hear second/third-hand from Dayton-area people.

Just now, The Poojer said:

thanks for that information.  Everytime i watch him i ask myself why i have yet to really immerse myself into his whole body of work.  He's almost Carlinesque....humor that makes you cringe and laugh at the same time

Yes!! I definitely feel a Carlin vibe from him too. Which is funny in a way because Carlin was very much the opposite. He's on a tight script and doesn't deviate; he's more like a one man show. 

Dave is a rambling smoker... it's still weird to see him all buffed out, lol. I still can't help but see him as the skinny stoner guy.  Like imagine suddenly Richard Pryor or Carlin getting ripped. It'd be weird! I'm glad he's in good health just saying.

Also... I would love to see more Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy standup. I know Eddie has been considering it. And as much as I love Dave, for me there was nobody funnier than Rock in his heyday in the late 90s / early 00s. Those HBO specials really hold up.

I just think their voices would really be welcome right now! I miss them being more active.

2 hours ago, GregPersons said:

He was on Inside the Actors Studio a while back (2006 maybe?) - check it out if you can, he talks briefly about this and it gives you some clues as to what made him disappear.  There's no smoking gun but I don't think it was just fame.  Hollywood is ***** up.

• Like (+1) 1

watching it now...here's part 1, the other 2 parts are there for you to find

29 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

He was on Inside the Actors Studio a while back (2006 maybe?) - check it out if you can, he talks briefly about this and it gives you some clues as to what made him disappear.  There's no smoking gun but I don't think it was just fame.  Hollywood is ***** up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Found it powerful, riveting and authentic. I agreed with everything he said with maybe the exception of his Don Lemon views on black celebrity impact. I think both rich and poor can have a place and impact on the movement against racism and police brutality. 7 years ago Chris Dorner tried to do the right thing as did Cariol Horne. Chris unfortunately "lost it" over his firing and went on a cop rampage. Cariol choose to be an activist. But Chappelle was inciteful in his views regarding the "streets will define this".....