Good For a Laugh: Guitar World Poll Names Brian May as the Best Guitarist, "edging" out Jimi Hendrix.

T&C

33 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

I don't have a link? The Rory/Jimi stuff runs deep. That said Kath was no slouch either. Dont remember Kath being mentioned. 

Hendrix was infatuated with Gallagher upon arriving in the UK. In particular Gallaghers sound he got from a strat. He drove to Cork too see him the day

after his Marquee debut. Went to the Rory Gallagher festival in Ireland a few years back. Was there on business.

Slash played, lots of outrageous players. Recommend it for any fan of Rory, unless there's a pandemic going on. 

It is Terry Kath... on an article/interview I'll have to look up. In the meantime, if anyone doesn't exactly know who he is, check this out:

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

Great call with Mark Knopler as well.

Love Knopfler and find to him to be surprisingly underrated.  He is known for the famous DS stuff which certainly prove his chops but I feel his best work, or at least a lot of it, is post DS and not that well known.  His style has a great amount of depth.

To add some names I haven't seen yet I'll go with B.B. King, J.J. Cale and Chet Atkins.

Edited by OGTEleven
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Happy said:

Yes...Lindsey Buckingham was Fleetwood Mac, IMO.  They're done now that Lindsey is out.

Why is Billy Duffy of the Cult not mentioned?  Nevermind, rhetorical question.  He may be the most underrated guitar player, again IMO.

Billy Duffy is a great guitar player.  I've been a Cult fan since the mid 80s.  Saw them twice - 30 years in between shows.  Love them!!

I would like to add Alex Lifeson to the list.  I consider him and David Gilmour two of the best soloists in rock history.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Billy Duffy is a great guitar player.  I've been a Cult fan since the mid 80s.  Saw them twice - 30 years in between shows.  Love them!!

I would like to add Alex Lifeson to the list.  I consider him and David Gilmour two of the best soloists in rock history.  

I believe the Cult is still together and touring; who would have thought.  While Pink Floyd is done and will most likely never get back together.

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

I believe the Cult is still together and touring; who would have thought.  While Pink Floyd is done and will most likely never get back together.

Yeah, the Cult has been going for a while.  Not sure how long they even stopped.  I last saw them at the Upstate Concert Hall in Clifton Park, NY back in 2016.  The venue is basically a big bar.  Wasn't too long after that they were in South America (I believe) playing for gigantic crowds.  I think we got lucky and got them on a dress rehearsal.  One of their former bassists, Chris Wyse, is actually from Clifton Park.  He wasn't playing with them at the time, so I have no idea what brought them to such a hole in the wall venue in upstate NY.  But I wasn't complaining!!!

A Waters/Gilmour reunion is my dream.  Like you said ... very unlikely, but it IS still possible.  Nothing would keep me from seeing them if it is ever to happen.

Terry Kath definitely way up there near the top, imo.

Early Chicago rips, amazing meld of rock/hard rock/experimental/jazz/psychedelic and Kath covers all the bases.

It’s a shame that these days Chicago is mostly associated with the post Kath Peter Cetera schlock.  

Speaking of Peter Cetera, if anyone hasn’t had the pleasure, look up “Yacht Rock” on youtube.  Hilarious take on the late 70’s into the 80’s pop music scene.  Michael Mcdonald is portrayed as the protagonist, and he later said that even though Yacht Rock is a parody, there’s a lot in there that they actually got right. 

26 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Terry Kath definitely way up there near the top, imo.

Early Chicago rips, amazing meld of rock/hard rock/experimental/jazz/psychedelic and Kath covers all the bases.

It’s a shame that these days Chicago is mostly associated with the post Kath Peter Cetera schlock.  

Speaking of Peter Cetera, if anyone hasn’t had the pleasure, look up “Yacht Rock” on youtube.  Hilarious take on the late 70’s into the 80’s pop music scene.  Michael Mcdonald is portrayed as the protagonist, and he later said that even though Yacht Rock is a parody, there’s a lot in there that they actually got right. 

Awesome call.  Old school Chicago is amazing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Terry Kath was awesome and way underrated.  Big fan of Knopfler, and think he is underrated as well.  Surprising myself that I kind of agree about Lindsey Buckingham.  Interesting style, and "Go Your Own Way" is a guilty pleasure.  Always thought Alvin Lee (Ten Years After--I'd Love to Change the World) does not get enough acclaim.  Same with Michael Schenker.  Overall, will always favor Clapton during the Cream and Derek and the Dominos periods.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/11/2020 at 8:38 PM, T&C said:

Not sure what world the guitar world pollsters live in but it must be a small, tiny one.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/brian-may-nudges-out-jimi-hendrix-to-top-total-guitar-greatest-rock-guitarist-of-all-time-poll

May be a Euro thing, Queen was always much bigger there than in the States.

As for me, no other guitarists have given me more pleasure listening to them than Mick Taylor and Jerry Garcia.

Johnny Thunders would be a distant 3rd, his leads were so outrageous.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

May be a Euro thing, Queen was always much bigger there than in the States.

As for me, no other guitarists have given me more pleasure listening to them than Mick Taylor and Jerry Garcia.

Johnny Thunders would be a distant 3rd, his leads were so outrageous.

The Mick Taylor years were the best imo...

• Like (+1) 1

Fleetwood Mac existed well before Buckingham, and the guy who started it, was way better than Buckingham ever will be (good though he is) - his name is Peter Green. 
B.B. King said of Green, that he was the only (white, I think) guitarist who gave him chills.

Personally, it’s Hendrix, but nobody has mentioned Green, and he very much deserves to be, especially as he was better than May. ?

Jeff Beck is another guy not being mentioned, and he’s as good as anyone bar Hendrix, who was truly out on his own.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:54 PM, bdutton said:

Skip to 3:25

No.  Watch the whole thing.  That is the end of the video that plays at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  If I made a personal Mt. Rushmore of songs, that version of that song would be first up.

I’m not qualified to rank guitarists, but I think that range is tremendously important when looking at the best.  I’ve always loved the guitar and guitar music (though I don’t play it), but how do you rate a SRV against a Stanley Jordan?  They are so different stylistically you can’t compare them. 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Another guitarist who should mentioned is Les Paul. He was an inspiration for many future guitar players. Many who were mentioned in this thread.

Absolutely. Add Chet Atkins to that list.