Good For a Laugh: Guitar World Poll Names Brian May as the Best Guitarist, "edging" out Jimi Hendrix.

T&C

musical taste is subjective and as such the same with guitar players. There could be arguments for several as have been suggested my personal fav happens to be Stevie Ray Vaughn but Im not going to dis May he's great too. 

• Like (+1) 1

there is a 10 year old kid from Australia named Taj Farrant total prodigy the kid will knock your socks off....youtube his name if you haven't heard of him he's brilliant and at age 10......unreal skill already. He will be on lists for best guitarist ever at some point its a Lock.

Edited by Margarita
FARRANT

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

Another great guitarist who should be mentioned is Lindsey Buckingham.

Absolutely!  He invented his own style, just like Knopfler.  His playing is both understated & absolutely amazing.

I'm also partial to 2 guys from the Chili Peppers (a band that has its share of top musicians, including Flea, who is among the best ever at bass).  Both Hillel Slovak & John Frusciante were/are total innovators & brilliant.

Another poster mentioned how subjective this is.  It really depends on what you value in a guitar player. I have never cared much for guys who were mostly speed, like Van Halen or Malmsteen, though those players are clearly extremely talented.  For me, it's gotta have some heart & soul.  May belongs in the upper echelon, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This thread also got me thinking about one of my favorite musical clips of all time - the "Star Spangled Banner" performance from Woodstock.

Everything about that is pure magic.  I love that most had left the festival at that point, and only a relative few actually saw it.  The camera work was amazing.  And I've never seen a solo combine elements of art, politics, war and such emotion like that one did.  It was the perfect musical statement at the perfect time.  Bombs & strafing from Vietnam came through that guitar.

I never get tired of watching that one.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw this on another board but thought it would also make a great thread and that is list your top 3 favorite songs. It is really hard to narrow it down to 3 but here are mine.

Clapton ….Layla

Skynyrd ….Freebird

Floyd ……..Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

16 hours ago, T&C said:

I have heard of all of them... I think, but c'mon... Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa, Steve Howe, Al Dimeola, Jimmy Page, Clapton, Duane Allman... that poll is just what I mentioned, for a laugh.

David Gilmore

Carlos Santana

Jerry Garcia

This finishes the top 10

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Prince was a GREAT guitar player.......I saw a youtube of adam levine paying a purple rain cover that was amazingly good although his name wouldnt enter into anyones best guitarist discussion there are MANY exquisite examples of guitar musicianship...I cant play but man do I appreciate folks who Can.

8 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

David Gilmore

Carlos Santana

Jerry Garcia

This finishes the top 10

Thing is, those "pollsters" must be young or didn't look very far back. I would add Jorma, Harvey Mandell, Terry Kath, Glen Campbell, Al Kooper, etc. Way ahead of Brian May.

May's recent popularity surge is somewhat due to the Queen movie.

When May was 15-16. he hung out in London clubs. At the time, Rory Gallagher was still with Taste.

May would wait until the Taste gig was over and Rory would let him pick his brain, and show him riffs. 

It is by no accident May prefers Vox AC30TB amps his whole carear. 

Dick Cavett to Jimi Hendrix:

Man , what's it like to be the greatest guitar player in the world?

Jimi: I don't know you would have to ask Rory Galagher.

Edited by Best Player Available
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Best Player Available said:

I have never seen that quote by Hendrix.  Thank you, and thank you for the memory of Dick Cavett.  His shows always seemed a step above the rest of the genre.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Best Player Available said:

May's recent popularity surge is somewhat due to the Queen movie.

When May was 15-16. he hung out in London clubs. At the time, Rory Gallagher was still with Taste.

May would wait until the Taste gig was over and Rory would let him pick his brain, and show him riffs. 

It is by no accident May prefers Vox AC30TB amps his whole carear. 

Thought Jimi mentioned Terry Kath, not Rory.

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

To me it's between Hendrix and SVR as the best. Honorable mention to Clapton.

You must listen to a very narrow spectrum of music.

All of those guys you mention are virtually identical in their approach to and take on music.

Of those 3, SRV is the best IMO. 

But there is so much more to the world of guitar.

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

Yes...Lindsey Buckingham was Fleetwood Mac, IMO.  They're done now that Lindsey is out.

Why is Billy Duffy of the Cult not mentioned?  Nevermind, rhetorical question.  He may be the most underrated guitar player, again IMO.

22 hours ago, T&C said:

Not sure what world the guitar world pollsters live in but it must be a small, tiny one.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/brian-may-nudges-out-jimi-hendrix-to-top-total-guitar-greatest-rock-guitarist-of-all-time-poll

Wasn't there a poll by some rock and roll mag way back where Karen Carpenter won out over John Bonham for "Best Drummer"?

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

Shouldn't Mike Campbell get a bit of love?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wasn't there a poll by some rock and roll mag way back where Karen Carpenter won out over John Bonham for "Best Drummer"?

Shouldn't Mike Campbell get a bit of love?

Don't know about the Karen Carpenter thing... sounds like Mad magazine material lol.

Adrian Belew

2 hours ago, T&C said:

Thought Jimi mentioned Terry Kath, not Rory.

I don't have a link? The Rory/Jimi stuff runs deep. That said Kath was no slouch either. Dont remember Kath being mentioned. 

Hendrix was infatuated with Gallagher upon arriving in the UK. In particular Gallaghers sound he got from a strat. He drove to Cork too see him the day

after his Marquee debut. Went to the Rory Gallagher festival in Ireland a few years back. Was there on business.

Slash played, lots of outrageous players. Recommend it for any fan of Rory, unless there's a pandemic going on. 

• Like (+1) 1