Is Ruben Brown HOF Worthy ?

7 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

100%

I can definitely see a push for the HOF to be more inclusive in their considerations in the future, acknowledging more positions that are relatively under-heralded, and also players who excelled in difficult circumstances. 

I know nobody is going to agree that Eric Moulds deserves HOF but I do think he certainly should 100% be on the Wall.  That guy was a baller, and I wish he had better teams. But he made a lot of average QBs look pretty good sometimes. 

Antoine Smith is another guy who... I mean I hated that he went to the Pats... but enough time has passed, I don't really care now, and I moreso remember really loving him and the Flutie teams of the late 90s, those were the first teams I saw play live at the Ralph.  

Ruben being part of those teams, similarly, I have just a general fondness for all of those guys. Sam Cowart, our MLB was an absolute beast before injury ruined his career; he was on par or better than Ray Lewis at the time. Antoine Winfield...! Just a really fun group.

Ruben was a bright spot too, because that line was pretty shaky. John Fina was rough. There were a lot of injuries too. Ruben I remember as being pretty reliable; a few injuries but mostly he was always there IIRC.

IMO, Brown was a bit better than many here are giving him credit for. That said, he’s a clearing the HOF list guy if anything. As for Moulds... definitely WOF worthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

IMO, Brown was a bit better than many here are giving him credit for. That said, he’s a clearing the HOF list guy if anything. As for Moulds... definitely WOF worthy. 

IMO Brown is much better than many here are giving him credit for... "over-rated" being applied to any linemen, especially a non-LT or C... a bit ridiculous, imo. 

Sometimes I find fan culture to be very embarrassing in the complete lack of appreciation for the people who make the thing they're a fan of...  it's one part "everyone's a critic" and another part "people need to be more appreciative/grateful, in general" 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/13/2020 at 12:32 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Pro Bowls? He absolutely deserved those. He was ferocious, one of the absolute run blockers in the league at that time.

And please ... with the "he got well-known" thing. He wasn't on great teams much. Early in his career he was on the teams that were the dregs of those earlier Super Bowl teams, good, but not great. In order,  The reason he got well-known is simply that he was extremely good, which was the reason he made All-Pro four times, not just the Pro Bowl, but All-Pro.

Not HOF-good, IMO, but very very good.

As a rookie, he didn't make the Pro Bowl on a team that won a Wild Card game and then lost the division round. Next year he made it on a team that lost the Wild Card game. Next year, 6-10 no playoffs, next year lost the Wild Card game, lost the Music City miscarriage of Justice, and that was the last time he reached the Playoffs.

He reached the playoff with the Bears in 2005 and 2006.

On 6/15/2020 at 1:57 AM, njbuff said:

Ruben Brown was outstanding his first four years from 95-98, but he lived off of reputation from 99 on.

This.  I couldn’t believe he made the pro bowl every year.  

On 6/15/2020 at 12:19 AM, GregPersons said:

IMO Brown is much better than many here are giving him credit for... "over-rated" being applied to any linemen, especially a non-LT or C... a bit ridiculous, imo. 

Sometimes I find fan culture to be very embarrassing in the complete lack of appreciation for the people who make the thing they're a fan of...  it's one part "everyone's a critic" and another part "people need to be more appreciative/grateful, in general" 

Sometimes I find that being a fan of a team causes some people to overrate players based on their love for their team.  Especially the players that were stats during said fans childhood.  

On 6/14/2020 at 9:29 PM, GregPersons said:

100%

I can definitely see a push for the HOF to be more inclusive in their considerations in the future, acknowledging more positions that are relatively under-heralded, and also players who excelled in difficult circumstances. 

I know nobody is going to agree that Eric Moulds deserves HOF but I do think he certainly should 100% be on the Wall.  That guy was a baller, and I wish he had better teams. But he made a lot of average QBs look pretty good sometimes. 

Antoine Smith is another guy who... I mean I hated that he went to the Pats... but enough time has passed, I don't really care now, and I moreso remember really loving him and the Flutie teams of the late 90s, those were the first teams I saw play live at the Ralph.  

Ruben being part of those teams, similarly, I have just a general fondness for all of those guys. Sam Cowart, our MLB was an absolute beast before injury ruined his career; he was on par or better than Ray Lewis at the time. Antoine Winfield...! Just a really fun group.

Ruben was a bright spot too, because that line was pretty shaky. John Fina was rough. There were a lot of injuries too. Ruben I remember as being pretty reliable; a few injuries but mostly he was always there IIRC.

Case and point.  Curious as to what year you were born?

Ruben was a very good guard early on that was voted to the pro bowl every year based on the fact that he was very good early on.  Solid player.  

Winfield, Cowart and moulds were much better at their position imo. 

One thing that stands out to me when I think about brown:  FLAG, “holding, number 79, offense.  Repeat 3rd down”. I remember thinking that no other perennial all pro OL had that many penalties called on him.  
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowRu00/penalties

Edited by NewEra