Is Ruben Brown HOF Worthy ?

Beloved Buffalo Bill Ruben Brown was drafted by the Bills in 1995 - 14th over all in the first round and played 8 yrs in a Bills uni which during that time he was a rock on the O line and very dependable at 6' 3" tall 300 lbs  .

He left to go to Chi town in 2003 during his 13 yr career he played and started in 181 games he was a 4 time all pro a 9 time pro bowler 8 consecutive pro bowls were with the Bills . Only 2 other Bills had 8+ pro bowls those 2 players being Bruce Smith (11) and Billy Shaw (8) .

Guard isn't a very sexy position in the NFL and stats are hard to come by about the only way you can tell if someone at the position had a good career is how many times he was voted to the pro bowl and maybe how many play off games those teams were in but there really aren't many other accolades a guard can get . 

I don't know if his career qualifies for the HOF i would think its right there though but i do believe that he should at the very least be on the Bills WOF he will always be talked about as one of the great Bills in Buffalo's history .

WOF overdue

HOF borderline.  He has the awards worthy of the HOF. I just don't feel he is a truly great player like Steve Hutchinson and Larry Allen. But those are two of the best guards to ever play. Alan Faneca and Rueben Brown both are exceptional players but not all time players. Added that guard is just not a sexy position and I don't think he will make it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

WOF overdue

HOF borderline.  He has the awards worthy of the HOF. I just don't feel he is a truly great player like Steve Hutchinson and Larry Allen. But those are two of the best guards to ever play. Alan Faneca and Rueben Brown both are exceptional players but not all time players. Added that guard is just not a sexy position and I don't think he will make it.

Faneca was an absolute beast, he was an All-Pro First Team player 6 times and a Second team All-Pro twice. He was a key reason why the Steelers had one of the best rushing attacks year in and year out in the early to mid-2000's. He also was a Pro-Bowl player from 2001-2009. Even in his two years with the Jets he was still a dominant player and one of the reasons they had a good rushing attack those seasons. I think Faneca being arguably the second best guard of the decade behind Hutchinson puts him in the HOF for me. 

Ruben Brown on the other hand I think falls into the category of a guy who isn't HOF worthy (although WOF worthy for sure in my book.) Ruben Brown was never a first team All-Pro his two career accolades are 4 Second Team All-Pro selections (1998-2000 and 2002) and a gaudy 9 Pro-Bowl selections(1996-2003 and in 2006) at a time when the Pro-Bowl still somewhat relevant as a bonafide. 

So while Brown was always near the best at his position for a long period of time I never considered him to be among the best 2-3 guards in the league at least not for a long period of time. He was a very good player for a long time and at his peak flirted with being great. Even factoring in his good run with the Bears in 2005 and 2006 where he returned to being a very good player I can't say that he cracks the HOF for me. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No. He was good, not great. It feels like he got too many penalties, and too much appreciation based upon reputation in his later years. He got voted to Hawaii mostly based upon his name. 

The next guy to the Wall should be Butch Byrd. I don’t know why he’s not up already. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1