Josh Allen and the Check Down Pass

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-qb-josh-allen-i-m-not-going-to-be-captain-checkdown

No one would mistake Allen with a checkdown king. Pro Football Focus published a study that showed over the past two years, Allen threw just 20 checkdowns on 880 attempts. His 2.3 percent was the lowest among all qualifying quarterbacks. On third downs, Allen particularly refuses to give up on plays. He's thrown just one checkdown on 245 third-down attempts (0.4 percent).

Josh needs to improve his completion percentage BUT it’s funny how many QB who have high completion percentages but give up on plays because they are too scared to pull the trigger. If Josh can improve improve his completion percentage without being captain checkdown and hit the deep ball 2 times a game then look out NFL.

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

And this is why it never feels like 3rd and 10+ is never an automatic punt.  We've seen Josh Allen convert more of these in 2 years than most QB's i yn a lifetime simply because he DOES NOT GIVE UP on these downs.  And I'll take this mindset any day of the week vs the guy who might have a higher completion percentage but dumps it off to the RB in the flat for 6 yards when we need 12

• Like (+1) 9

I love the aggressiveness Josh shows on third down. However I think on first and second down he needs to take a check down a bit more. The easiest way to get in third and long situations is to not take the 3-4 yard or even 2 yard dump off on an early down. So yes be aggressive but not stupid on third down but be smart on first and second down so you don't have to be aggressive as much on third down.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I love the aggressiveness Josh shows on third down. However I think on first and second down he needs to take a check down a bit more. The easiest way to get in third and long situations is to not take the 3-4 yard or even 2 yard dump off on an early down. So yes be aggressive but not stupid on third down but be smart on first and second down so you don't have to be aggressive as much on third down.

I approve of this message.

• Like (+1) 2

That’s my QB!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

While I love that he’s no Trint,( a total coward and fraud )  he does need to learn to find the open guy on third down rather than going deep.  Many losses last year had a drive or 3 where on third and say 7 or so, he’d launch it.  Dimarco in Houston was the last example of this.  He’d never connect but maybe twice all season,  meanwhile the all 22 would show beaz or someone wide open at the sticks.  Josh needs to take what the d gives him check down or not, those can be big plays sometimes but at least first downs.  Ask trentative. He made millions only doing that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

A large part of that equation also comes from Daboll’s Run, Run, Pass ruts. He needs to trust Josh more on the early downs, particularly first down and early in the game. Josh does really well on first down, but he doesn’t get as many chances as other QBs. We are basically split evenly on run/pass throughout the game. New England is really pass heavy through the first three quarters. Last year in the 2nd quarter they passed at a 2:1 ratio. I think Buffalo could put a lot of games away early if they were that aggressive in Q2.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Reneth Gilne said:

While I love that he’s no Trint,( a total coward and fraud )  he does need to learn to find the open guy on third down rather than going deep.  Many losses last year had a drive or 3 where on third and say 7 or so, he’d launch it.  Dimarco in Houston was the last example of this.  He’d never connect but maybe twice all season,  meanwhile the all 22 would show beaz or someone wide open at the sticks.  Josh needs to take what the d gives him check down or not, those can be big plays sometimes but at least first downs.  Ask trentative. He made millions only doing that.

Big instance of this in the Baltimore game on the last play.  Took the deep throw to Brown when Beasley easily gets the first if not the score.  I do think he'll get better though and still feel it's the deep ball he needs to work on most.  He missed some wide open guys last season that would've really opened up some games.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Right On

55 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Maybe the thread would be more appropriately titled, "Josh Allen or the check Down Pass." ?

A point

4 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Big instance of this in the Baltimore game on the last play.  Took the deep throw to Brown when Beasley easily gets the first if not the score.  I do think he'll get better though and still feel it's the deep ball he needs to work on most.  He missed some wide open guys last season that would've really opened up some games.

I saw a breakdown where someone charted everyone's movements synchronously and I'm not sure you're right about that specific play.  I think by the time Beasley juked and got open, Allen would have been flattened.

BUT there were several plays in the Houston playoff game where Bease was open and Allen didn't take him.  And Singletary was open on first down with room to run on so many broken plays that I facetiously suggested the Bills equip him with a 5 ft day-glo fiberglass pole topped with a flag, like a Syracuse fire-hydrant, so that Allen could see him better.

Yeah so far, for Josh it is check down or win. We have had too many quarterbacks who will check down and not try to win, Trent Edwards and his infamous run out of bounds on 4th down with 2 minutes left as the most egregious.

Hopefully Josh will learn when checking down is helping him win while keeping his competitive nature.

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-qb-josh-allen-i-m-not-going-to-be-captain-checkdown

No one would mistake Allen with a checkdown king. Pro Football Focus published a study that showed over the past two years, Allen threw just 20 checkdowns on 880 attempts. His 2.3 percent was the lowest among all qualifying quarterbacks. On third downs, Allen particularly refuses to give up on plays. He's thrown just one checkdown on 245 third-down attempts (0.4 percent).

Josh needs to improve his completion percentage BUT it’s funny how many QB who have high completion percentages but give up on plays because they are too scared to pull the trigger. If Josh can improve improve his completion percentage without being captain checkdown and hit the deep ball 2 times a game then look out NFL.

While I ABSOLUTELY love everything this post is about, getting the ball into Singletary and Moss’ hands on the short play should be a larger part of his game this year.
    When he has other playmakers he needs to learn to trust them. It also has the effect of causing opposing Defenses to have to honor the short play which eventually opens up the Intermediate and deep stuff.

• Like (+1) 1