Josh Allen meets with media 6/11

10 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Sorry in advance if this is posted in one of the other Allen threads....

In this article (linked below) Allen talks about how a conversation with Tony Romo on throwing mechanics has really helped him so far this offseason.  Which is great, but all I can think of when  I read this is ... What on earth is he gaining from all this time spent with Jordan Palmer?!

This sounds like basic enough stuff from Romo which he probably got from him in 15 minutes... I've never heard him talk about such a significant stride when he talks about the Palmer camps.

Would he be better served spending his off seasons elsewhere?  Maybe getting exposure to a few different coaches or veteran quarterbacks?

Romo article > https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/06/how-tony-romos-advice-led-to-josh-allens-best-throwing-session-with-buffalo-bills.html

I mean it's great if he got some good advice from Romo but he probably did the actual working on it with Palmer.

4 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

In this article (linked below) Allen talks about how a conversation with Tony Romo on throwing mechanics has really helped him so far this offseason.  Which is great, but all I can think of when  I read this is ... What on earth is he gaining from all this time spent with Jordan Palmer?!

This sounds like basic enough stuff from Romo which he probably got from him in 15 minutes... I've never heard him talk about such a significant stride when he talks about the Palmer camps.

Would he be better served spending his off seasons elsewhere?  Maybe getting exposure to a few different coaches or veteran quarterbacks?

Romo article > https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/06/how-tony-romos-advice-led-to-josh-allens-best-throwing-session-with-buffalo-bills.html

Not to go on too much of a tangent but this is another sign , imo, that Daboll and the O need to have a breakout season. 
     I just have the suspicion that a “ Guru” type OC and the kind of staff  one would  assemble might be part of the semi-near future.

I love what he said about learning from an NFL locker room. I was fortunate enough to hear former Super Bowl center and college coach, Bill Curry, give a talk that he called “what happens in the huddle” about the racial dynamics in the 60s and how football taught him to respect his black teammates in a way he may not have otherwise learned.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I love what he said about learning from an NFL locker room. I was fortunate enough to hear former Super Bowl center and college coach, Bill Curry, give a talk that he called “what happens in the huddle” about the racial dynamics in the 60s and how football taught him to respect his black teammates in a way he may not have otherwise learned.

I was actually talking to my wife about this, and that the majority of people out there, regardless of race/culture, will usually view other cultures/race/nationality as inferior (the elitist mentality) until they are "forced" (and I use that term loosely) to work in an environment where race/culture has to be looked past in order to succeed or spend significant time with someone of another race/culture to see they are just the same as the rest of us.

It happened to me in the military..

5 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Minutes before Tiger teed off in the US Open in 2008, he said he got a piece of putting advice on the practice green that changed his outlook on putting and catapulted him to the win.

Every QB holds the ball, sets his feet, turns his hip, releases and follows through slightly differently, by millimeters. 

Romo shared what he did, Josh tried it and it felt comfortable. Jim Kelly told him at one point too, and Palmer, and Barkley, and Darnold, and every other QB he's close with.

It's his coach's job to record that Josh has changed what he's doing, and how. If things come off the rails, they can revisit these changes and discuss if it was worth it, or if they are contributing to a mechanical fault that may not have shown up in shorts, but doesn't lend itself to game action.

Coaches aren't guru's, they're acountability buddies that hold you to a schedule, a routine, and a path that they are continuously revising based on your input and the input of other coaches. Results matter.

Edited by JohnnyGold

5 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

The stuff Josh works on with Palmer goes beyond throwing mechanics.  It’s consistent footwork; It’s reining in that overstride that apparently causes a lot of problems for him and reinforcing his “natural stance”; it’s taping him during sessions so he can see what he’s doing and refer back if things backslide; it’s watching and analyzing film and working on mental tricks to speed up his decision making process.  And then....different people see things differently, different people frame things differently.  It’s why musicians take master classes from different teachers - to get a different perspective.  Maybe what the masterclass teacher says amounts to the same thing, but it’s said in a different way that “clicks”, then you take that insight back and work on it with your regular teacher or coach.

I wouldn’t bet the rent that what Allen got from Romo came down in 15 minutes either.  Romo clearly LOOOOOOOOVVVVES the game of football and from how he calls the games he’s done with Allen, he has some bro love for Allen ever since the Vikes game where he jumped over Barr.  It was pretty clear that Allen did some serious hanging out with Romo and with Fitz (those photos from the Japanese Steakhouse, they had clearly been “visiting” for some hours).  I don’t think either of them are in love with being “Mr Celebrity” and even though Allen got drafted way higher, he still has that heavy narrative of criticism and skepticism that gives him legit underdog chops that probably call to Romo.  Allen also seems to have the natural ability to draw people to him and get them not just pulling for him, but actively interested in helping him.  Wouldn’t surprise me if they spent several hours, maybe on more than one occasion that week, slinking off to a quiet spot to watch film and talk football.

I think Allen has also been working with a QB coach he worked with some at Wyoming, in Fresno (guy who put out that Twitter or Insta thing about “Josh Allen working on his social distancing”)  In each case, at this stage of the game, it would start with Allen saying “this is what I’m focused on, this is the way I’m thinking about it” and then watching and filming.

• Like (+1) 2

I was going to start a thread on Josh and other QB1s 

but since the source is the same with a portion of the OP 

Allen attributed his inspiration to organize the south Florida workouts with his offensive teammates to his discussion with Manning.

Favre, who was coached by Daboll when he was with the Jets, also provided input during a Zoom call with the Bills quarterbacks.

"It's two of the most well respected and greatest quarterbacks of all time," said Allen. "So, I'm truly blessed to have those guys give us their input."

Allen said. "I got a chance to talk to Tony Romo at the Super Bowl and we talked a lot about mechanics and just being a thrower. I think that what he kind of gave me I've taken in stride and I've been applying it to the field and I think has been working out."

Allen isn't making those kind of wholesale changes. Instead he's working on the rest of his body's performance through the throwing motion.

• Like (+1) 2

This is why Josh Allen is going to be a success.  He has always been behind the curve, given his rural location and lack of exposure to QB camps and higher level coaching as a kid.  But from the start, he has been the guy who would not take no for an answer.  When he couldn't get a scholarship, he went to Community College.  When he only received two scholarship offers (one retracted when he visited Wyoming) based on scores of letters and tape he sent out, he took his one opportunity and elevated as best he could to illustrate his natural talent. 

And since joining the Bills, he has been a relentless student and worker and has continued to elevate his game, both mentally and physically.  On top of that, he is natural born leader of men.  I believe that his drive and unwillingness to never take no for an answer will lead us to Superbowl wins.  And give credit to the management now present within this franchise for recognizing this and drafting him.  It's going to be a fun ride.

9 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

One thing I wish one of the reporters would have asked is "what's with all the fumbles in 2019 and what is he doing to correct it? 

Here's what he said about that:

"Definitely.  I know I can't turn the ball over like that.  I'm working on it with my coaches and talking to some of the running backs.  I need to be more aware of where I'm holding the ball when I'm running.  I need to keep in mind that I can get hit any time.  I will be better at this."

Actually, I made that up, but really, what do you think he's going to say?  "Fumbles happen.  I'm not worried about it.  In fact, I'm going after the NFL record for fumbles by a QB."

By the way, the top 10 in career fumbles includes Brett Favre, John Elway, and Tom Brady.   All over 120.  Allen has 22 career fumbles.  

Edited by Shaw66

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Here's what he said about that:

"Definitely.  I know I can't turn the ball over like that.  I'm working on it with my coaches and talking to some of the running backs.  I need to be more aware of where I'm holding the ball when I'm running.  I need to keep in mind that I can get hit any time.  I will be better at this."

Actually, I made that up, but really, what do you think he's going to say?  "Fumbles happen.  I'm not worried about it.  In fact, I'm going after the NFL record for fumbles by a QB."

I don't know, hence the reason I wished they asked.  When he runs with the ball, it seems to come out relatively easy when hit as compared to when he's hit in the pocket.  Could be how he runs with the ball, but defenders definitely know this is a weakness.

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I don't know, hence the reason I wished they asked.  When he runs with the ball, it seems to come out relatively easy when hit as compared to when he's hit in the pocket.  Could be how he runs with the ball, but defenders definitely know this is a weakness.

I think it's lack of awareness.  His fumbles happen when he isn't expecting to get hit.   

I think he'll get better as he is simply more conscious of what's going on around him.   For example, my sense is that he doesn't have an unusual fumbling problem in the pocket.  I think he's very aware of the risk when he's in the pocket.  When he takes off, he stops worrying about ball security.   At least that's the way it looks to me.   So I think that simply being more aware of what he's doing will be enough to help solve the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's lack of awareness.  His fumbles happen when he isn't expecting to get hit.   

I think he'll get better as he is simply more conscious of what's going on around him.   For example, my sense is that he doesn't have an unusual fumbling problem in the pocket.  I think he's very aware of the risk when he's in the pocket.  When he takes off, he stops worrying about ball security.   At least that's the way it looks to me.   So I think that simply being more aware of what he's doing will be enough to help solve the problem.

I agree

5 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

One thing I wish one of the reporters would have asked is "what's with all the fumbles in 2019 and what is he doing to correct it? 

Tony Romo asked him about that on the CBS thing he did with Darnold and the Giants QB.

He said he is going to be more aware and secure the football like an RB when he takes off and use 2 hands in the pocket more often.

• Thank you (+1) 2