PFT/Chris Simms Top 40 QB Rankings: Allen at #18, ahead of Mayfield, Darnold

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed.  It’s why Barkley isn’t good enough and why I worry about Fromm 

that said what separates guys with big arms from guys with big arms who become good QBs is touch. Mahomes has an absolutely cannon but it’s those touch passes he makes that makes him so good.

Of course and also alot of the mental side of the game is what separates players

But you can't ignore the howitzer attached to Josh's shoulder. It's generational. The way the ball spins out of his hand and the release And velocity are incredible

And he certainly possesses enough accuracy by looking at his intermediate numbers. And that's not even talking about how dangerous he is on the run

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course and also alot of the mental side of the game is what separates players

But you can't ignore the howitzer attached to Josh's shoulder. It's generational. The way the ball spins out of his hand and the release And velocity are incredible

And he certainly possesses enough accuracy by looking at his intermediate numbers. And that's not even talking about how dangerous he is on the run

Oh for sure he was one of the strongest arms I’ve ever seen.  I do think consistent mechanics are really difficult to learn at this stage of your career and there will be a lot of ups and downs.  But I’ve never questioned his physical skills. 

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh for sure he was one of the strongest arms I’ve ever seen.  I do think consistent mechanics are really difficult to learn at this stage of your career and there will be a lot of ups and downs.  But I’ve never questioned his physical skills. 

Pat Mahomes had really bad footwork coming into the league and he's fixed it for the most part

I think Allen has good games and bad games with footwork

When games get rough all players revert back to bad tendencies in mechanics, including Aaron Rodgers

The key is trying to maintain consistent mechanics throughout the course of a game

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Didn't Allen set a combine record for most velocity on the football? Don't think Mahomes has a stronger arm. But there probably isn't a big difference.

Edit: Looked it up. Allen threw 62 MPH which was a combine record. Mahomes only threw 55, which seems only above average.

Combine velocity numbers are now proven bumpkin. 

I'd have Tua who hasn't thrown a pass above about half of the guys Simms has ahead of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, papazoid said:

#18 is fair

i think 15th is fairer

i dont see him getting to top 5......but boy oh boy...that would be nice

he will be there after game 1 this year 

16 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Niner fans are losing their minds on Twitter seeing Josh ranked over Jimmy G ?

Jim dawg is not good. Not good at all 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Combine velocity numbers are now proven bumpkin. 

I'd have Tua who hasn't thrown a pass above about half of the guys Simms has ahead of him. 

Can you explain what you mean? What does "proven bumpkin" mean in regards to velocity?

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Part of me wonders if this is part of why our receivers drop the ball so much.

I caught passes from a college QB once and he put so much spin and velocity on the ball it was very difficult for me to catch, compared to the high school QB's I was used to catching passes from. The spin was actually more difficult to deal with compared to how hard it was thrown.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Can you explain what you mean? What does "proven bumpkin" mean in regards to velocity?

I caught passes from a college QB once and he put so much spin and velocity on the ball it was very difficult for me to catch, compared to the high school QB's I was used to catching passes from. The spin was actually more difficult to deal with compared to how hard it was thrown.

Probably less skilled receivers like Zay Jones

The spin and rotation on those balls from pro quarterbacks are extremely hard to handle . It's a huge jump from high school to college, and an even bigger jump to the pros

That usually what separates high-end wide receivers vs depth. Not always speed or size, or even route running. But consistent hands catching NFL level throws with heat

But all the best wide receivers would prefer a tight spiral with some heat.. where they can catch the ball and do something with it...  versus a lollipop that gets them destroyed

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Allen’s arm strength has helped him out on multiple occasions, completing many tight window passes throughout the season, in fact it’s part of why the got the team to the playoffs. This ranking is quite accurate. It will be higher in a few months of course....

Go Bills!!!

That throw to beasley from the endzone against Dallas not one other QB could make.  Don't care what anyone says.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I’m assuming Gunner is referring to how Deshaun Watson threw at less velocity than Nate Peterman and yet one is Deshaun Watson and the other is, well, Nate Peterman.

Rivers 17, Brees 16, Brady 15.  It appears he does a PFT version and then a different one for his Unbuttoned podcast.  He does impersonations of his dad which are pretty funny.  He favors strong armed, playmaking QBs but thinks QBs get too much credit and QBs in the 20s could win the Super Bowl.  Called the 2015 version of Peyton Manning the worst to ever win one (or maybe that 2015 Manning was the worst starting QB of that year.)

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, papazoid said:

#18 is fair

i think 15th is fairer

i dont see him getting to top 5......but boy oh boy...that would be nice

I see Josh once he's more polished being an 8-12 ranked qb most of his career. This year (3) I see him around 15. Next year he explodes.