PFT/Chris Simms Top 40 QB Rankings: Allen at #18, ahead of Mayfield, Darnold

Simms is a big JA fan, always has been. He always holds him in high regard and defends JA when Florio or others would try to bash him. This is not surprising. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

No link yet because it was just live on the show. Will update.

Simms said he could be top 5 a year or two from now.

2nd-best runner in the sport

2nd-strongest arm in the sport

Best runner is Jackson and arm is Stafford?

18 feels about right to me. Curious to see how the rankings ultimately look. There's a few I disagree with right off the bat, but as is usually the case, it's easy to nitpick rankings rather than tiers. For all we know he might view the 30th guy as roughly on par with Allen right now.

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Mahomes for Arm?

Didn't Allen set a combine record for most velocity on the football? Don't think Mahomes has a stronger arm. But there probably isn't a big difference.

Edit: Looked it up. Allen threw 62 MPH which was a combine record. Mahomes only threw 55, which seems only above average.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

Didn't Allen set a combine record for most velocity on the football? Don't think Mahomes has a stronger arm. But there probably isn't a big difference.

Edit: Looked it up. Allen threw 62 MPH which was a combine record. Mahomes only threw 55, which seems only above average.

Yeah, I don't know why people think Mahomes' arm is legendary. His talent yes, his arm strength great but not the best

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

No problem with Allen being pegged as a middle of the road QB right now.  I think he ends up being ranked higher a year from now. 

However, I do question where Simms is getting the 2nd strongest arm thing from.  Allen set a combine record throwing at 62 MPH.  No other QB has ever topped 60.  He also threw it at over 66MPH at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.stack.com/a/josh-allen-threw-a-66-14-mph-pass-at-the-senior-bowl-no-qb-at-the-nfl-combine-has-ever-exceeded-60

His arm is next level.  But, whatever.  Hopefully we'll be seeing Allen ranked in the top 8 or so next season because if he does stuff to warrant that kind of jump, we may be competing for a Super Bowl this season!

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

18 feels about right to me. Curious to see how the rankings ultimately look. There's a few I disagree with right off the bat, but as is usually the case, it's easy to nitpick rankings rather than tiers. For all we know he might view the 30th guy as roughly on par with Allen right now.

I have been watching the pods he has been doing with Burmeister.  They go into some depth there.  Phil might be on the one tonight.

The list is generated by posing the question that if he was a HC whose job depended on winning one game, which QB would he most trust?  It's not over the next 1 or 5 years say like a stock investment. So, 18 is fair, imo, and saying that he could be much higher by the end of this season is where most of us are at, I think.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think it’s really a pointless discussion... having enough arm strength in the league is all that matters.... arm strength means zippo if your not accurate with it. 

Mostly pointless discussion, sure, but it would be nice if the analysts used velocity etc. in their evaluation of arm strength. It’s just lazy analysis. 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think it’s really a pointless discussion... having enough arm strength in the league is all that matters.... arm strength means zippo if your not accurate with it. 

Allen’s arm strength has helped him out on multiple occasions, completing many tight window passes throughout the season, in fact it’s part of why the got the team to the playoffs. This ranking is quite accurate. It will be higher in a few months of course....

Go Bills!!!