BR - Ranking Every NFL QB's Supporting Cast for 2020

On 6/12/2020 at 8:08 AM, JetsFan20 said:

I don’t think the Bills will likely ever have a top 10 offense under McDermott by design. His formula is defense/ball control.

In today’s NFL you need to throw the ball around to have a top 10 offense. Your point is valid-top 10 offense doesn’t mean you are going to win football games. 

That’s not true.  McD used the talent he had on the field and knew he could win which he has made the playoffs two of the last three years with knowing he could immediately impact a defense studying under the great Jimmy Johnson (Philly not Dallas), he had runners, a mobile, tough QB, and only last year picked up a durable #2, and #3 WR.  Now he has a true #1, and a Carson type bruiser to compliment DS.  Next year is a deep TE draft so expect we add a top TE there.  It’s a long term sustainable plan for success.  The Bills could absolutely be a #1 running offense, #10-12 passing offense meaning overall well into the top 10.  It keeps going back to if and hopefully Allen takes another leap in year 3.  

By the way, I don’t know if you’re handle is a joke, or if you somehow are a Bills and Jets fan, that doesn’t make sense.  Half my life was in Buffalo, and the second half has been in Tampa.   Therefore almost no conflict with a Bills fan first always!  But a Bucs fan second.  I only root against the Bucs once every four years.  Yes, The Bills game and proudly wear my Bills jersey every 8 years when they play in Tampa.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:18 AM, thebandit27 said:

Have you considered that McDermott’s model has been defense/ball control by necessity up to this point?

Also, the “gotta throw the ball” thing isn’t correct. 7 of the top 10 teams in rushing attempts in 2019 finished top 10 in points scored.

Balance.  That is the key.  

I think the Bills can jump up to 15-20 from (what was it?) 24th ranked offense.  

I don’t think any of us have a clue what McDermott truly wants to do.   We can guess based on his conservative nature thus far, but last years offensive talent was a 2nd year QB, rookie RB, #2 WR, slot WR, rookie TE and an OL with 4 new starters. 

Not hard to see why he’d play it safe with a Top 10 defense, as frustrating as it was. 

On 6/11/2020 at 4:53 AM, thebandit27 said:

Without looking at the list, I’d probably have Buffalo somewhere in the 9-11 range. I’ll say 11 behind KC, LAR, NO, TB, Arizona, Cleveland, Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, and Dallas.

I’d say we have a better supporting cast around him than Seattle, Detroit, and Rams.

Just overall, from RBs, WRs, TEs, and OL...I think we have a better cast than those guys now.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’d say we have a better supporting cast around him than Seattle, Detroit, and Rams.

Just overall, from RBs, WRs, TEs, and OL...I think we have a better cast than those guys now.  

I disagree but I don’t think it’s crazy to put Buffalo ahead. Except at TE, those other teams are probably clear and away better. WRs are largely a push and I have to think Buffalo has the RB edge.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I disagree but I don’t think it’s crazy to put Buffalo ahead. Except at TE, those other teams are probably clear and away better. WRs are largely a push and I have to think Buffalo has the RB edge.

It’s not a huge margin, but I do think Bills have best supporting cast amongst Bills, Rams, Seattle, and Detroit.

WR -  Bills have the best WR of all 3 teams in Diggs.  It’s not a wide margin, but I think Diggs is the best overall WR amongst the 4 teams.  Brown is right there for best 2nd WR, although it’s splitting hairs between him, Rams (not sure how is actually considered #2 for Rams), and Metcalf...with Metcalf having the most upside IMO.  Cole is easily the best 3rd WR of the group.  So for me, while close, I give the edge to Bills.

TE - I think of this group, Rams have best TE group because they got 2 good ones.  Bills have upside, but still young.  

RB - Seattle has best RB stable, but Bills very well could be there with them or better this year.  But edge is Seattle for sure right now.

OL - This is the difference maker for me, I think we not only have the best OL, but the deepest OL of these teams and it should even be better this year.

So for me, only team with more than one top personnel groups of these 4 teams is Bills.  I’d put Seattle a close second, then Rams and Lions are both closely ranked behind them.   

Just my 2 cents

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s not a huge margin, but I do think Bills have best supporting cast amongst Bills, Rams, Seattle, and Detroit.

WR -  Bills have the best WR of all 3 teams in Diggs.  It’s not a wide margin, but I think Diggs is the best overall WR amongst the 4 teams.  Brown is right there for best 2nd WR, although it’s splitting hairs between him, Rams (not sure how is actually considered #2 for Rams), and Metcalf...with Metcalf having the most upside IMO.  Cole is easily the best 3rd WR of the group.  So for me, while close, I give the edge to Bills.

TE - I think of this group, Rams have best TE group because they got 2 good ones.  Bills have upside, but still young.  

RB - Seattle has best RB stable, but Bills very well could be there with them or better this year.  But edge is Seattle for sure right now.

OL - This is the difference maker for me, I think we not only have the best OL, but the deepest OL of these teams and it should even be better this year.

So for me, only team with more than one top personnel groups of these 4 teams is Bills.  I’d put Seattle a close second, then Rams and Lions are both closely ranked behind them.   

Just my 2 cents

Golladay is the best IMO. He’s coming off a big year. Jones also could be considered the best #2 of the group. The Lions WRs are strong.

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just my 2 cents

The WR debate is interesting because if you try to rank #1 v #1, #2 v #2 etc, you may get a different response than bundling all the talent together.

Like Woods and Coop are better than Brown and Beasley but is the difference in them greater than their Difference to Diggs?

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Golladay is the best IMO. He’s coming off a big year. Jones also could be considered the best #2 of the group. The Lions WRs are strong.

I like Golladay a lot, I just think Diggs is the better all around WR and a top 5 talent at his position.  It’s not a wide margin, just if I could pick one I would take Diggs as he is statistically already a better deep threat and better at contested catches than Golladay, and those are Golladay’s best attributes.  Diggs is also probably the best route runner in the NFL

Jones is the most over rated WR in this discussion.  I’d take Brown, whoever is the the actual #2 for Rams, or Metcalf over Jones without thinking twice.  

He’s not bad by any means, but he is so inconsistent week to week.  He’s the smaller poor mans version of Cooper.  He is capable of some big games no doubt, but too often he is taken out of games and disappears.  But season totals are respectable to solid because of the couple of big game.  I laugh every year when someone drafts him way too early in fantasy football and always tell people you might as well start scanning the waiver wire now because you’re gonna drop him after playing him 4 weeks in a row after a big game to see him do squat.  

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The WR debate is interesting because if you try to rank #1 v #1, #2 v #2 etc, you may get a different response than bundling all the talent together.

Like Woods and Coop are better than Brown and Beasley but is the difference in them greater than their Difference to Diggs?

WR debate is really close, but having the best route runner in Diggs, who also has led NFL in both deep balls and contested catches, just makes him the top guy of all the talented group IMO.  Then to have a top end number 2 in Brown with the best route running slot of the group in Cole, I think Bills get the overall edge.  All 4 teams do have a good WR core, so it’s not a lock or landslide by any means.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

On 6/11/2020 at 9:27 AM, JetsFan20 said:

Rebuttal #3 Zach Moss is a 3rd round pick, how do you know he’s a massive upgrade over Frank Gore? The Jets drafted a RB in the 4th round who could turn out to be better than Moss (nobody knows with rookies). 

Sooo... you think their fourth round RB will find more success than your big fat free agent acquisition in Le'Veon Bell? The same Le'Veon Bell who was a beast behind Pittsburgh's OL only to crash with the Jets OL for a whopping 3.2 yards a carry? The fourth round kid is gonna do better than Bell and Moss as well? I mean, anything can happen... but I'd say that....

...I can pretty much promise you that Zack Moss will have a better year than Gore did last season... and probably this season. Nothing against Gore, we all know he's a legend and despite his on-field contributions being less than great, what he offered the young guys in the meeting rooms is where his value was, and a big reason why Beane signed him. I'd say Buffalo has a middle of the road OL right now, but Gore made it look like he had a JV team in front of him. Save for a few nice runs it always seemed to be two yards and a cloud of dust... or smacking into the backside of his OL. But then Devin Singletary would check in and find room to run all over the place, so... that gives me faith that Zack Moss can do better than ol' Frank. 

Edited by blacklabel