Musicians playing instruments other than what they’re famous for

Chandler#81

Now known mainly as a singer, way back in the early 60s, Roger played lead guitar in the band that eventually became The Who.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Ummm....David Gilmour is known for playing guitar.

Nothin’ gets past you Doc. He’s clearly known more for his electric work -both with Pink Floyd and solo. He’s also quite adept at steel guitar which is an instrument Country Music is famous for. But that’s all those corn fed folks can play.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I don't know if there are any Youtube vids, but Stevie Winwood is just tremendous playing guitar on Traffic's live "On The Road"

Wait. How could you you not have seen this one... only known recorded concert to date of the mostly original Traffic (no Dave Mason). He rips it up pretty good on this film, 1974... my avatar lol. Stoned out pretty good too, acid is fun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, T&C said:

Wait. How could you you not have seen this one... only known recorded concert to date of the mostly original Traffic (no Dave Mason). He rips it up pretty good on this film, 1974... my avatar lol. Stoned out pretty good too, acid is fun.

Thanks, looks great! On The Road is my go-to for Traffic.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rico said:

I don't know if there are any Youtube vids, but Stevie Winwood is just tremendous playing guitar on Traffic's live "On The Road"

And Dear Mr. Fantasy.  That dude is incredible.

I think I've told this before in here. I was at this Dylan Merriillville, IN (Gary suburb, north of Purdue) show at the Holiday Star Theatre in 1981. Right before the last song of the night, he says "I've got a friend I want to bring out." We had no idea who it was. Maybe Robbie Robertson? Instead this guy comes out in a wheelchair. They adjust the mic for him and he sings a song I didn't recognize, all the while Dylan's all over the place playing sax. One of the wildest things I've ever seen at a concert.

• Awesome! (+1) 1