Josh Norman speaks live in Buffalo about social injustice ; Cole Beasley opens up about current unrest in new song

On 6/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, eball said:

Would love to see Buffalo be a leader in civil justice reform...time for folks to talk about something other than snow and Niagara Falls when discussing our hometown.

I was also thinking this when I heard Norman’s comments. Not only is it the right thing to do, it would help the city grow culturally and economically. 

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Way oversimplified. 
You're way overlooking the huge influence of Scots/Irish music on Appalachian music, and the huge influence of Appalachian music on Folk, early country, and bluegrass.

For sure. You also have to account for traditional/folk music of other countries. I'm a big fan of metal and I listen to bands from all over the world. In the early 90s, bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquiliy, and At the Gates gave birth to what's called the Gothenburg Sound (Gothenburg being one of the largest cities in Sweden if anyone was wondering) and the traditional/folk music of Sweden played a role in those bands finding that sound... and I don't think you'd break down their music and just say, "Ah, it's the blues with an overdrive pedal and a Flying V." Music is different all over the world... unless it was strictly American music being discussed and I missed that. But in terms of rap, both black and white individuals played huge roles in developing that genre. People already mentioned the Beasties, but Rick Rubin, a scruffy-haired white dude who's image screams metalhead (which is also true as he's produced some of the greatest metal bands ever) produced a lot of great rap acts when the genre caught on in the mid-80's. But the influence can come from a lot of places, there was the Sugar Hill Gang, and a lot of funk/soul and even disco bands influenced rap. 

I dunno. Music is a universal language... and there are only so many notes and so many ways to arrange those notes so I've always felt it's kinda weird to be like, "This type of music is OUR music!" I think music, just like culture, is meant to be shared and explored so people unfamiliar with it can gain a better understanding of it. And at the end of the day, it's all art, which is subjective. And that's just how influence works in music... someone hears a certain melody or guitar riff and they expand on it and do it their way. Take a band like Metallica for instance, when they started out people called them ripoffs of British heavy metal bands like Priest and Maiden... but that wasn't the case, they were influenced by those sounds but they went out and played it a little faster, a little more aggressive, etc. and helped create the whole thrash metal scene. Just how it works. 

One of the coolest quotes I'd ever seen from a musician came from Dimebag Darrell of Pantera. One of the guitarists in a band that was Pantera's opening act on a tour in the early 2000s said he always wanted to apologize to Dime if he ever met him because he was influenced heavily by Dime's style and told Dime, "Man, I'm so sorry for stealing that one riff of yours but it's just too good!" And Dime replied, "Bro, we ain't stealin' riffs, we SHARE riffs!" And I always thought that was a cool way to look at it.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.stack.com/a/5-foot-8-cole-beasley-throws-down-massive-dunk-on-instagram

there are people that look at a guy like Beasley and think they can play in the nfl.  No you can’t.  These guys are another level.  

So at that link, I see a kind of cool video of a 5'5" guy talking about how he trained like a Russian powerlifter between his sophomore and junior year so that he'd be able jump 3-4' off the ground and dunk.

But it doesn't show the video of Beasley dunking.  Would love to see it if there's another link to it.

Edit, never mind, I found two!  Rawwwwrrrrr!

He's a short guy but was evidently an elite bball player in HS.  Apparently still one of the best bball players on the team.  I seem to recall a couple of videos where two tall guys (think it was Sweeney and Dawson) were shooting 3s rather unsuccessfully and Beas grabbed the ball as he was walking by, hit one "nothing but net" in the most casual way possible, kept on going

On 6/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, Jauronimo said:

I would argue chicken wings are enough of a contribution to the world but being known for civil justice reform would be a nice runner up!

You're forgetting about the Civil unrest that has been caused by chicken wings though in the form of blue cheese vs ranch. 

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

You're forgetting about the Civil unrest that has been caused by chicken wings though in the form of blue cheese vs ranch. 

There is no civil unrest, there is just basic truth. There are those that like blue cheese...  and those who are wrong.