NFL thinking about having fewer preseason games

Greg S

I do feel for the UDFA.  You must have been listening to MTC on Wednesday on NFLR. They are rating different positIon groups so this Wednesday their theme was rating the AFCE WR/TE groups.  If you have Sirius, you can go to the on demand link and look for W afternoon show.  The Bills were the first of the four.  Well, they went through our drafted and experienced players, because they find it highly unlikely the UDFA will even make the 53.  

If interested, they were quite positive about the Bills, and indicated they kept 10 active last year, and Kirwan mentioned coaches have tendencies as if they kept 10 total active last year, they most likely will keep 10 this year.  Here is who they rattled off.

Diggs

Brown

Beasely
Davis

Roberts

(I cant remember if they said Williams or McKenzie, but I think it was Williams)

Knox

Kroft

Sweeney

Smith

They thought it would be very difficult for Hodges to even make the active 53, and more likely a PS guy.  Additionally, they thought with a condensed training camp, no off season OTA’s, only two potential preseason games, the beginning of training camp is likely to be all conditioning for two weeks, that an UDFA is a long shot to even make the PS let alone the active roster.  That really is too bad as there is always a diamond in the rough in a normal off season you pick up and shines.  So this is a marathon answer Putin and all, that these guys were pretty sharp in their logic as to why this pandemic will be hardest on UDFAs.  

This series has been fun as they already broke down all the O Lines, ranked the top 5, Pass Rush, now they are starting the other position groups.  Fun for some light listening while you’re driving around if you have both the radio Sirius and the App for you’re phone like Radio.com does for WGR.

• Like (+1) 1

Good post. I've held since the pandemic started that continuity from 2019 to 2020 would be a distinct advantage for this season. That bodes very well for the Bills in the AFCE division, where all three of our rivals will have far more turnover than the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/10/2020 at 3:53 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

This isn’t meant at you because I believe you’re right but the 18 games idea is so idiotic.  It what greedy slobs should have never played high level football want to do to continue to use players like pieces of meat for extra dollars.  As a football fan, would I love more games?  Absolutely.  As a person who is related to these players would I want more? Hell no.  It’s like the nfl sees all these studies of CTE and just completely ignore them.  Playing football is a series of car crashes.   It’s insane to keep putting them through more of them for a few bucks. 

I agree ! But Greed is what runs the NFL not only on the owners side but the players side too and if the owners along with the players can see more cash in TV/players contracts you know that it's a done deal at some point and time .