NFL thinking about having fewer preseason games

Greg S

3 minutes ago, CSBill said:

If they don't do it now, then when? I think every decent human being would welcome this change.

I think two games would be perfect and not just for this preseason but going forward as well. The starters barely play except for the third game which is the only one that comes close to an actual game. Nobody really cares who wins. The only thing I hope for is that the Bills get out of the preseason without any injuries.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Preseason won't be shortened until the owners get an 18 game regular season.

This isn’t meant at you because I believe you’re right but the 18 games idea is so idiotic.  It what greedy slobs should have never played high level football want to do to continue to use players like pieces of meat for extra dollars.  As a football fan, would I love more games?  Absolutely.  As a person who is related to these players would I want more? Hell no.  It’s like the nfl sees all these studies of CTE and just completely ignore them.  Playing football is a series of car crashes.   It’s insane to keep putting them through more of them for a few bucks. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This isn’t meant at you because I believe you’re right but the 18 games idea is so idiotic.  It what greedy slobs should have never played high level football want to do to continue to use players like pieces of meat for extra dollars.  As a football fan, would I love more games?  Absolutely.  As a person who is related to these players would I want more? Hell no.  It’s like the nfl sees all these studies of CTE and just completely ignore them.  Playing football is a series of car crashes.   It’s insane to keep putting them through more of them for a few bucks. 

I agree.

As much as I love football, I don't need to have 18 regular season games. I think 16 is plenty. I also don't think they need to add more playoff teams, but they are.

• Like (+1) 2

I know that I am in the minority here, but I love the preseason games. I love them. It's a chance to get a real bead on the depth of our players. It's the best chance we have to know the player who is stepping on the field when one of the starters goes down, and we have to start relying on third stringers to step up. These games are also responsible for creating "dark horse" buzz around certain players who would otherwise fall into obscurity. Who here remembers Christian Wade's first NFL touch when he ran it 65 yards to the house? That was preseason vs. the Colts, and no one would even know who he was were it not for the preseason.

Bottom line, though: If they cut a preseason game, and don't add a regular season game? That's one less game of football to watch.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I know that I am in the minority here, but I love the preseason games. I love them. It's a chance to get a real bead on the depth of our players. It's the best chance we have to know the player who is stepping on the field when one of the starters goes down, and we have to start relying on third stringers to step up. These games are also responsible for creating "dark horse" buzz around certain players who would otherwise fall into obscurity. Who here remembers Christian Wade's first NFL touch when he ran it 65 yards to the house? That was preseason vs. the Colts, and no one would even know who he was were it not for the preseason.

Bottom line, though: If they cut a preseason game, and don't add a regular season game? That's one less game of football to watch.

You are correct. 

You are in the minority. :)

I actually do watch every minute of each preseason game I can get (and then record the delayed replays), but there is no need to have FOUR of them. 

Pre season is great.  It allows us to see the new players before they get sent to the ps or end of the bench for the year ie christian wade.  It also is something to watch.  The starters barely play and no one plays that hard anyway, except for serious dorks like AJ mcaron, “ this is going to be legendary”  so the cte and injury concerns aren’t really valid.  If your in shape and not injury prone you should survive preseason or else it was probably going to happen by mid season anyway.   

The BS part of Pre season is the lack of starters. For which I offer this solution to the NFL...

1. Starters start and play the first half of the first 2 games, if they don’t, they cant start the first quarter of the season opener

2. No starters play the last game, its an all rookie audition and tickets are half price

3 the third game can be a mix to let starters play if the couldn’t play due to injury in the first 2 games.

youre welcome, go fund me page and paypal link to follow.

On 6/11/2020 at 7:00 AM, First Round Bust said:

two games would work; add one controlled scrimmage over two days like we did last season when we travel to Carolina  in the middle or to begin with and we are good; means the dreaded last game bore fest is eliminated

The pandemic is driving the bus, which is why Goodell upon advice from their medical team advised not to have joint practices.  If you’re referring to next year when hopefully we have a vaccine, then sure.  Coaches can learn just as much from The joint practices as they can from a pre season game.  Besides, most people don’t even watch a whole pre season game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/10/2020 at 2:56 PM, CSBill said:

If they don't do it now, then when? I think every decent human being would welcome this change.

I think the only downside to that would be is for UDFA’s low draft picks and maybe practice squad players , 

• Like (+1) 1