WaPo article on Bills by John Clayton

Rubes

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

Maybe I am an idiot, but I think Gabriel Davis is the one rookie that is ready to contribute from day one and give Allen yet another weapon as a 4th WR.

NJ, I watched him throughout college as the UCF games are on network TV down here.  He had more yards than Brandon Marshall at UCF.  He will be a nice compliment and depth for the offense.  He runs routes very well, and has the speed and size to have an impact on ST.  Allen should do a lot better this year as he has two different kinds of RB’s, a minimum of four WR’s who can help, and I’m guessing Knox probably improved in the off season in his catches.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/10/2020 at 10:59 AM, Golden*Wheels said:

I'll take doing too much all day long too.

Just no laterals.

I realize this play has become the mantra for the anti-Josh gang, but consider for a moment that Singletary was mentally sharper in the half second he was unexpectedly given a glorious opportunity to advance the ball in an overtime playoff game, already in enemy territory. He doesn’t possess blazing speed, but there was NO ONE in front of him. He either scores or Hauschka comes on for an easy 3. Either way, if the rookie secures Allen’s intentional lateral, we’re playing in KC the following week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

If that really happens and Josh takes a step up, this is a Super Bowl contender.

You could say this about a few guys.

If Knox, Singletary or Moss have a major breakout year and Diggs is Diggs.....?

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I realize this play has become the mantra for the anti-Josh gang, but consider for a moment that Singletary was mentally sharper in the half second he was unexpectedly given a glorious opportunity to advance the ball in an overtime playoff game, already in enemy territory. He doesn’t possess blazing speed, but there was NO ONE in front of him. He either scores or Hauschka comes on for an easy 3. Either way, if the rookie secures Allen’s intentional lateral, we’re playing in KC the following week.

Been thinking this exact same thing since the moment the play happened. I’ve also been cringing/ angry every time I’ve heard JA get mocked for doing this in a playoff game.

Dude was trying to win! I’m still miffed and the lack of help he got on some of those plays in the second half.

Also, I don’t think that is the last of the laterals we see from this kid. Done correctly with a back or receiver ( Or Knox?) who are aware of the possibility of it happening ..... Could be Gold.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Been thinking this exact same thing since the moment the play happened. I’ve also been cringing/ angry every time I’ve heard JA get mocked for doing this in a playoff game.

Dude was trying to win! I’m still miffed and the lack of help he got on some of those plays in the second half.

Also, I don’t think that is the last of the laterals we see from this kid. Done correctly with a back or receiver ( Or Knox?) who are aware of the possibility of it happening ..... Could be Gold.

I’m half hoping/half expecting that Devin and EVERY Buffalo Bill have this play indelibly etched in their collective mind that Allen IS ‘that guy’ who wants the ball with the game on the line -as Brandon Beane exclaims. 8 game winning drives in less than 2 seasons reinforces this as the rule vs the exception. Lose focus at your peril when on the field with Josh and the game is on the line.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Anti-Josh gang? I'm not one of those, but they are right. Laterals (short the have to end of game plays) are totally stupid and risky. This isn't some big conspiracy or part of any grander theory. Hold onto the ball, don't do stupid *****. Simple. It was a dumb play he shouldn't repeat.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Anti-Josh gang? I'm not one of those, but they are right. Laterals (short the have to end of game plays) are totally stupid and risky. This isn't some big conspiracy or part of any grander theory. Hold onto the ball, don't do stupid *****. Simple. It was a dumb play he shouldn't repeat.

Ha!? Then you’re gonna HATE the next dozen years or so. FAR from “totally stupid”, League history has tons of highlights where laterals have turned into TDs and 3X that where the ball was advanced further upfield. Sure, it can backfire. Somebody is going to get the ball. There’s no stats to verify/discount your perspective but per the eye test, teams notorious for being willing to lateral the ball to teammates are predisposed to expect it.

Edit, had it worked, the 2X3 poster would be hanging on your living room wall

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ha!? Then you’re gonna HATE the next dozen years or so. FAR from “totally stupid”, League history has tons of highlights where laterals have turned into TDs and 3X that where the ball was advanced further upfield. Sure, it can backfire. Somebody is going to get the ball. There’s no stats to verify/discount your perspective but per the eye test, teams notorious for being willing to lateral the ball to teammates are predisposed to expect it.

Edit, had it worked, the 2X3 poster would be hanging on your living room wall

Why would I hate the next dozen years? I don't expect Josh to lateral like that often and there is absolutely no reason to expect him to. An improvised play that was nearly a disaster is incredibly unlikely to get added to the playbook. Kind of the opposite.

You seem to assume a lot about people you don't  know. I'm not Anti-Josh, and I wouldn't think a lateral was a smart play simply because it worked, so no, no poster "hanging on my living room wall". Sheesh man. There's no hidden agenda here. Laterals are stupid, risky plays IMO. They fall into almost any other trick/exotic play category IMO....looks great when it works, "WOW! HIGHLIGHT REEL! AWESOME!" and looks idiotic the other 98% of the time it blows up in your face. It's exactly why even though there are HIGHLIGHTS of great lateral plays, they are without a doubt the exception to the rule, and you can go weeks and weeks and months and months in any given NFL season without seeing one, barring last second desperation plays. Because no coach worth his salt wants his QB treating the ball like an impromptu hot potato (especially in a playoff game).

If you feel like responding, that's wonderful. Just try to stick to the point, and please save the assumptions about my motives for somebody else. I think laterals are stupid. That's my point. We could talk about designing an offense around laterals/extending plays and lots of other things. But for crissakes, the point is the lateral itself, not who was doing it. Josh is MY QB, so I want him to grow out of it...it's not something I am trying to pillory him for.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's 6-2.  Guess that makes him tall in this WR room.

Hard to know what to make of the AAC.  It's like a monopoly money league, where Navy and Cincy and SMU go to rack up double digit win seasons.

He is actually 6-5. With the afro 6-9. 

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Why would I hate the next dozen years? I don't expect Josh to lateral like that often and there is absolutely no reason to expect him to. An improvised play that was nearly a disaster is incredibly unlikely to get added to the playbook. Kind of the opposite.

You seem to assume a lot about people you don't  know. I'm not Anti-Josh, and I wouldn't think a lateral was a smart play simply because it worked, so no, no poster "hanging on my living room wall". Sheesh man. There's no hidden agenda here. Laterals are stupid, risky plays IMO. They fall into almost any other trick/exotic play category IMO....looks great when it works, "WOW! HIGHLIGHT REEL! AWESOME!" and looks idiotic the other 98% of the time it blows up in your face. It's exactly why even though there are HIGHLIGHTS of great lateral plays, they are without a doubt the exception to the rule, and you can go weeks and weeks and months and months in any given NFL season without seeing one, barring last second desperation plays. Because no coach worth his salt wants his QB treating the ball like an impromptu hot potato (especially in a playoff game).

If you feel like responding, that's wonderful. Just try to stick to the point, and please save the assumptions about my motives for somebody else. I think laterals are stupid. That's my point. We could talk about designing an offense around laterals/extending plays and lots of other things. But for crissakes, the point is the lateral itself, not who was doing it. Josh is MY QB, so I want him to grow out of it...it's not something I am trying to pillory him for.

Whoa Easy, Cowboy. Easy! I didn’t assume anything about anyone -well, maybe you..now. 

My point of reference would be old teams like the Raiders and any team Deon Sanders played with. But Every team practices lateral drills. Last ditch kick return, hook & lateral catches, etc. Knox (thanks for the correction) wasn’t anticipating it. But I’m sure he will from now on. That’s all.

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Whoa Easy, Cowboy. Easy! I didn’t assume anything about anyone -well, maybe you..now. 

My point of reference would be old teams like the Raiders and any team Deon Sanders played with. But Every team practices lateral drills. Last ditch kick return, hook & lateral catches, etc. Knox (thanks for the correction) wasn’t anticipating it. But I’m sure he will from now on. That’s all.

Teams practice plays for when they are needed.  They don’t practice throwing random laterals for no reason.  That play was 100% Josh’s fault.  Knox made a heady play to knock it out of bounds and save Josh looking like an even bigger dunce.  Even if Knox had been anticipating Josh going brain dead, the ball was thrown way over his head.  

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

Teams practice plays for when they are needed.  They don’t practice throwing random laterals for no reason.  That play was 100% Josh’s fault.  Knox made a heady play to knock it out of bounds and save Josh looking like an even bigger dunce.  Even if Knox had been anticipating Josh going brain dead, the ball was thrown way over his head.  

If I had any suspicion you are the end all authority on these matters, I might not laugh at this take.

But I don’t.

???

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Billl said:

It was a silly play no doubt.  But if it connected, the narrative would be a little bit different.  And if it were Mahomes, it would be out-of-this world!  That said, an example of Allen trying to do too much.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

OK, i gotcha. I just didn't like potentially getting lumped in with Josh Haters....I'm not one!  But I do agree with them on the lateral.

Don't they really practice laterals....specifically for last ditch plays though? That's the stuff you do at the END of practice you almost NEVER expect to need isn't it?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, ganesh said:

The Running game of Moss and Singletary will help

ganesh...yeah...man, yeah.  People might bring this up as an anecdote, but I think it is much more than just that.  I need the combination of a better offensive line, and a two headed monster at RB, to go along with the addition of Diggs this year.

This year?  I meant to say 94 days from now.   :w00t:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1