What game was it for Bills fans when you realized Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn’t good?

On 6/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, Chandler#81 said:

This narrative gets harder and harder to justify as the years and teams go by. I mean, there comes a time when you realize ‘OK, maybe he IS..’ He’s been around since Christ was a rookie but few -if any(?) teams have ever called him back..

The thing that makes him hard to discuss is he’s not bad. Nor is he particularly good as a starter. He will reliably be slightly below average. Good enough to have a job but not good enough to keep it long term. It’s the most important position in sports, and you have to try to upgrade it until you are above average.

I think it was the 49ers game in SanFran. One of the few times we were in the redzone Fitzpatrick tried to throw an endzone corner route and the wind just knocked his throw out of the endzone. I think it landed around the 3 yard line.... that was painful to see.  For those that don't remember the 49ers routed us, and Alex smith didn't have an issue with the wind. He threw for 237 yards in the 1st half.

I used to have this argument borderline daily on the old BBMB. I was a crusader for Fitz. He was my guy long before he became “Fitzmagic.” That whole thing was 100% Chan Gailey. To look back and see just how terrible of a head coach Chan was, is sickening. When you are the head coach, you are responsible for the entire team (Not just the offense). You do not get a pass for completely neglecting entire sides of the ball. Our defenses in those years made winning impossible. Also, we ran the same 4 or 5 plays every game for entire seasons. Teams figured us out right after that jets whiteout game and no adjustment ever got made. The play calling was senseless and the in game management was inexcusable. Chan was THE worst head coach I have ever seen in my life. Watching the Bills is probably my second favorite thing to do in life...if they brought Chan back for that next season, I was seriously considering canceling my Sunday ticket. Fitz did not have a chance with that team or that clown. I really wanted the Bills to retain Fewell and allow him to be the HC. I liked the way that 09 team played the second half of that year after Juaron but the past is the past...

Now about Fitz. This guy was absolutely “my guy” I think there is a world in which you can get to the playoffs and maybe even advance with Fitz as your qb. This is the issue with him (and I’m not sure how teams don’t see it) Do not ask this guy to throw 35-50 passes in a game. Somehow, every time this guy gets in...teams are having him throw the ball all over the place. I said this almost every week when he was the Bills QB. Fitz will absolutely throw you out of a game. The guy is going to give his WR a shot but that is going to put a lot of plays at risk. If you let this guy throw 40 times in a game, he will throw for 300+ but he will throw the interceptions that put you in a spot. You have to save Fitz from himself. If you keep him in that zone of 15-25 passes, run the ball and play good defense...you will win a lot with him. He doesn’t have the physical abilities that most qbs have. But he absolutely is capable of running almost any offense and he will score points. Also, the guys on his own team play really hard for him. You just can’t allow him to be Drew Brees and throw 45 times in a game. He will not scale back the risk factor regardless of the score or the situation and he will throw you into trouble. If a balanced coach with a head on his shoulders got Fitz in the right situation, you absolutely could win with him. The 17 Bills team with Fitz, probably wins the same amount of games and beats Jacksonville. 

For me, I think it was the game that the commentators said he graduated from Harvard. ?

I gotta say, for a dude who’s touted for his smarts he sure plays a lot of dumb football. Chad Pennington’s arm and Brett Favre’s brain, especially when the game is still winnable inside 4 minutes left. At least he never waits until the very last second to plunge that dagger into his fans hearts. He typically leaves a full minute to minute and a half for them to lament what could have been had he not thrown a predictable pick on 1st or 2nd down after taking an unnecessary and stupid risk.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1