What game was it for Bills fans when you realized Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn’t good?

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I would take him back on the Bills in a minute to be Allen's backup. Plus he would a good mentor for Josh in handling the job/pressures of being a QB.

But...The Fitz jinx is strong ;) 

I would cringe on every snap that JA17 took ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember rewatching the miracle come back game against NE.

A lot of those passes were centimeters from being interceptions he was on a roll with accuracy and luck.

Just now, Greg S said:

Still Fitz >>>> Barkley.

Matt doesn't carry the curse ;)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

The game against the Jets after we had beaten the Skins in Toronto to go to 5-1. We got manhandled in our “white out” home game. He was pathetic and that was it. The hope had gone. We went one to lose 8 of our last 10 that year, only barely beating Tebow at  home in week 15 or 16

Not that it matters but they beat theTebow Broncos like 40-13 or something.  Though that was more on the defense, I think we picked him off multiple times, a couple for scores.. Then that Bronco team won a dramatic home playoff game vs the Steelers, even though they were 8-8.  That annoyed me.

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

The 1st game of the 2012 season comes to mind against the Jets.   I know he struggled toward the end of 2011 but it was rumored he had cracked ribs.

The Jets opener was supposed to be a statement game that year and he was pretty bad.  Topped off by a pick 6 to start the second half.  I kinda got pessimistic that day going forward

As others eluded he’s a very likeable dude and I give him credit for keep reinventing himself to have that lengthy a career.  But teams I think are foolish to think he’s a long term solution 

Thank you, this was the defining moment for me as well.

If I'm being honest with myself, my mind knew he wasn't the man for the job the previous season--there was a game against the Bengals that I hold on to nearly a decade later. Buf was 3-0, and had hung some points on the Chiefs, Pats and Raiders in successive weeks, Cincy limped in at 1-2. It was a pathetic showing by the offense all day, made all the worse by a non-call at the end that seemed to somehow absolve everyone of their performance. Dreary, rainy day when I realized: same. old. Bills. They rebounded nicely and beat the Eagles, but the wheels were loose.

In my heart, I talked myself into the next season. Signing Mario was an added bonus. I wanted to think we had a chance at the division. My god what an egg Fitz laid week 1. The Super Bowls, the playoff gut punches, the misery... for some reason, that damn opener against the Jets sticks out in my mind as one of my lowest moments as a fan. There was enough success the year before (barely), and enough talent added in the offseason (barely), and enough of a reason why the hot finish to 2010 and hot start to 2011 seemed like the rule instead of the exception, that I was looking forward to that opener for MONTHS. Yeah, there was a pick 6 in there, it was over from the start. That really made me cynical to the team. Crazy that was 8 years ago, feels like yesterday. Life goes fast.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I love the guy, but probably when he was named the starter.

A #1 backup, but not a starter. 

Seemed Fitz could always be counted on to play a reasonably good game and even get leads. He just as often however was capable of throwing that 4th quarter back breaking INT to lose the lead or the game.

11 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

The game against the Jets after we had beaten the Skins in Toronto to go to 5-1. We got manhandled in our “white out” home game. He was pathetic and that was it. The hope had gone. We went one to lose 8 of our last 10 that year, only barely beating Tebow at  home in week 15 or 16. 

This one here. That was supposed to be a big home game and they just came out and laid an egg. It was the second Jets game in late November that year that really did it for me. Towards the end he was just trying to do anything and kept throwing picks. A lot of times when they would try to come from behind he'd go and chuck a jump ball that was always five yards underthrown. I like Fitz, he's a great dude, and he catches fire every now and then but just doesn't maintain it. 

It was right after the 3rd loss after he signed the $59 million or so contract with the Bills when he started 5 & 1 then the wheels fell off . 

I don't know who was the FO person that said yah lets hurry up and give Fitz this contract they couldn't wait to sign him later after seeing how that season would go but they didn't and they jumped way to soon but i bet Fitz loved it ! 

After he signed that contract didn't he sign like 2 more contracts and was still getting paid at 1 point by 3 different teams ? the Bills, Jets & one other ?? I bet he just loved looking at his checking account balance during that time !! 

He may not be the best QB in the league but the dude knows how to play the system to make some cash ...

1 minute ago, T master said:

It was right after the 3rd loss after he signed the $59 million or so contract with the Bills when he started 5 & 1 then the wheels fell off . 

I don't know who was the FO person that said yah lets hurry up and give Fitz this contract they couldn't wait to sign him later after seeing how that season would go but they didn't and they jumped way to soon but i bet Fitz loved it ! 

After he signed that contract didn't he sign like 2 more contracts and was still getting paid at 1 point by 3 different teams ? the Bills, Jets & one other ?? I bet he just loved looking at his checking account balance during that time !! 

He may not be the best QB in the league but the dude knows how to play the system to make some cash ...

Playing the system to make some cash? 

Fitz is the definition of backup and/or “bridge” quarterback. He has intrinsic value in those roles and that’s been evident his entire career in the league. That’s why the system pays him what it does. He’s not gaming anything. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Playing the system to make some cash? 

Fitz is the definition of backup and/or “bridge” quarterback. He has intrinsic value in those roles and that’s been evident his entire career in the league. That’s why the system pays him what it does. He’s not gaming anything. 

I know he's not doing it intentionally it's just the way it worked out . 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

As a Jets fan it was his six INT masterpiece vs the Chiefs in 2016. The guy really is an incredibly limited QB. 

I would say that he has been on limited teams. You don't get to play in the league as long as he has if you are not good. He beat the Pats last year with a Dolphins squad that was being dismantled. Come to think of it he has beaten the Pats as the QB of every AFC East team. If you are asking if he is great the answer is at times he is and other times he is not. He is not a franchise QB but he is a good QB.

I love Fitz.  

Fitz is good.  Just not good enough.

For me, the killer game was losing to the Giants in New Jersey.   Twice on the same out route, Fitz underthrew Stevie and got picked.  Cost the Bills the game.  He just couldn't make the throw.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

The game against the Jets after we had beaten the Skins in Toronto to go to 5-1. We got manhandled in our “white out” home game. He was pathetic and that was it. The hope had gone. We went one to lose 8 of our last 10 that year, only barely beating Tebow at  home in week 15 or 16. 

12 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

12 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I thought he got his ribs cracked in that Jets game? 

The ribs got cracked on a hit (by London Fletcher?) in the Skins game the previous time out.  Figures, the ONLY game the Bill's won in TO ended up dooming that particular season.  Fitzbeardy had a weak arm to begin with, but with the rib injury he had nothing.