What game was it for Bills fans when you realized Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn’t good?

I really like Fitz. He wasn’t as bad as his reputation now is here. 
Those were some bad teams we had with very little talent. 
There’s a reason Fitz wins the job everywhere he goes. He’s not elite and that’s generally why he’s only a temp starter while teams find their hopeful elite quarterback. 
I can respect the turnovers cause at least he’ll take the chance. Gimme that over check down masters. 

• Like (+1) 1

To say he wasn't any good is unfair. He's made quite the living being a QB in the NFL, starter or as a backup. I realized he wasn't a franchise QB when it was obvious he had no sustainable lasting potential. He's the classic " lighting in a bottle" type player. Plug him in and he will WOW you with gutsy gunslinger play enough to convince you he may be the answer. Bills, Jets, Bucs, Dolphins. Then the following season, usually after a contract extension the walls come crumbling down. Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Some how Fitz has everyone fooled. Gotta love the guy!

Edited by billsbackto81

I am not sure I can pinpoint a game with Fitz in the way I very definitely can with Tyrod where I just said "nope, this isn't our guy we need to move on." It was more of a dawning realisation in the back half of that 2011 season. That said with better talent around him I still think Fitz could have been the QB to break the drought. There are 9 win type seasons in there.  

3 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

His first appearance in Buffalo regular season action. My impression was smart guy that wasn’t accurate enough. People in here still seem to knock his arm strength, but I always felt he had enough zip to do well. The accuracy was frustrating. I remember going to a game and the Bills ran some kind of play action rollout to the tight end. Tight End was wide open (missed assignment) and Fitz still missed him by a wide margin. He just seemed to miss enough throws where it becomes hard to win. If he had Orton’s arm he could have been a playoff qb.

I mean, Orton had Orton's arm and wasn't a playoff QB...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

he had a 7th round qb

udfa rb

7th and 4 UDFA WRs 

7th left tackle

dont get me wrong, any one of those guys is fine and I loved Fred but you need actual elite playmakers somewhere to be sustainable. I doubt there was a lower drafted set of skill positions in the league the last 20 years 

So are we agreeing?  Gailey got his waterbug in the first round, btw.  

I really don't think the talent level mattered so much as Gailey hanging his hat on one level of original offense-making, without taking into much account that it would be quickly adopted and countered by the other teams.  

31 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

It was shortly after my "Fitzmagic" shirt arrived, he then began to sh** the bed. I loved him as a competitor and love how he played the game but I'm glad we got off that roller coaster when we did.

So...got a Dolphins version of that shirt ready to go, to put the cheech on them?  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

The game against the Jets after we had beaten the Skins in Toronto to go to 5-1. We got manhandled in our “white out” home game. He was pathetic and that was it. The hope had gone. We went one to lose 8 of our last 10 that year, only barely beating Tebow at  home in week 15 or 16. 

This Jets game was exactly what came to mind for me.

The 1st game of the 2012 season comes to mind against the Jets.   I know he struggled toward the end of 2011 but it was rumored he had cracked ribs.

The Jets opener was supposed to be a statement game that year and he was pretty bad.  Topped off by a pick 6 to start the second half.  I kinda got pessimistic that day going forward

As others eluded he’s a very likeable dude and I give him credit for keep reinventing himself to have that lengthy a career.  But teams I think are foolish to think he’s a long term solution 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

His first appearance in Buffalo regular season action. My impression was smart guy that wasn’t accurate enough. People in here still seem to knock his arm strength, but I always felt he had enough zip to do well. The accuracy was frustrating. I remember going to a game and the Bills ran some kind of play action rollout to the tight end. Tight End was wide open (missed assignment) and Fitz still missed him by a wide margin. He just seemed to miss enough throws where it becomes hard to win. If he had Orton’s arm he could have been a playoff qb.

I think the arm strength and inaccuracies were often tied. Not having as many “easy throws” at his disposal meant he had to stretch outside his comfort zone more than a guy like josh that can thread a needle with a flick of the wrist instead of winding up the whole body to try

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

The game against the Jets after we had beaten the Skins in Toronto to go to 5-1. We got manhandled in our “white out” home game. He was pathetic and that was it. The hope had gone. We went one to lose 8 of our last 10 that year, only barely beating Tebow at  home in week 15 or 16. 

I was at the game in Toronto where I believe the Bills pitched a shutout.  Fitzy got blown up on a blitz (Fletcher) and hurt his ribs pretty bad.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/28/2907978/ryan-fitzpatrick-rib-injury-buffalo-bills

The next 3 games were losses and Bills lost big in each as Fitz was way off.

I actually give him credit for getting that almost talentless offense to 5-2 with smoke and mirrors. Basically every defense had more physical talent than our offense so he had to be clever. But he will never truly be better than a bottom 10 starter and will lead a team to 5-7 wins.