What game was it for Bills fans when you realized Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn’t good?

None.  Chan Gailey's pop-gun offense lacked sustainable originality.  He spent all off-season coming up with a surprise, and at times it worked fine, but he lacked the long-haul thinking to make an offense consistently problematic for the opposing defenses.  

Fitz tried too hard, but it's as much a reflection of his surrounding talent as it is his shortcomings.  The guy can win anything with a good cast.  

• Like (+1) 2

The game against the Jets after we had beaten the Skins in Toronto to go to 5-1. We got manhandled in our “white out” home game. He was pathetic and that was it. The hope had gone. We went one to lose 8 of our last 10 that year, only barely beating Tebow at  home in week 15 or 16. 

• Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

The game against the Jets after we had beaten the Skins in Toronto to go to 5-1. We got manhandled in our “white out” home game. He was pathetic and that was it. The hope had gone. We went one to lose 8 of our last 10 that year, only barely beating Tebow at  home in week 15 or 16. 

It was 5-2 but otherwise I agree. The wheels fell off there and they had already committed the money so we were stuck for another year. 

I mean, I was always skeptical but it was a hell of a start.

• Like (+1) 2

Roughly junior year of high school. This was reinforced by his college play, and confirmed by his draft slot. At some point you have to realize your hoping for a guy to be something he never was.

doesnt mean he’s a bum or bad guy... but he’s not the guy you expect to carry anything. You just hope he holds it together and brings a little energy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

None.  Chan Gailey's pop-gun offense lacked sustainable originality.  He spent all off-season coming up with a surprise, and at times it worked fine, but he lacked the long-haul thinking to make an offense consistently problematic for the opposing defenses.  

Fitz tried too hard, but it's as much a reflection of his surrounding talent as it is his shortcomings.  The guy can win anything with a good cast.  

he had a 7th round qb

udfa rb

7th and 4 UDFA WRs 

7th left tackle

dont get me wrong, any one of those guys is fine and I loved Fred but you need actual elite playmakers somewhere to be sustainable. I doubt there was a lower drafted set of skill positions in the league the last 20 years 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

I thought he got his ribs cracked in that Jets game? 

45 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

I was coming in to post this as well. Though I had my thoughts well before that game as well. But a real stinker that one. Was there live to watch that.

19 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Not a game, it was when he got drafted by Cincy.

But that never happened!

I never kept track, but I vaguely remember a game against the Cowboys(?), shortly after the extension, that really solidified the thought in my head. I knew Fitz wasn’t the future, but I loved how he played the game. Hard to not like a QB that lowers the boom on DBs instead of just running out of bounds.

1 hour ago, Jamie Nails said:

And what happened in that game from November 2011?  NYJ pressed BUF's WRs at the LOS to disrupt their timing.  It forced Buffalo to have Fitz throw downfield and exposed his lack of arm strength as RR planned for.  After that game it was straight downhill and a blueprint established on how to defeat Buffalo's offense.  The Bills managed to score only 140 points in the next 9 games on their way to a 1-8 finish after that 5-2 start.  

But not before Buddy "The Genius" Nix bowed to pressure and signed Fitz to a significant contract extension that he complained to former Bucs GM Mark Dominik about in a leaked conversation.  

58 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he had a 7th round qb

udfa rb

7th and 4 UDFA WRs 

7th left tackle

dont get me wrong, any one of those guys is fine and I loved Fred but you need actual elite playmakers somewhere to be sustainable. I doubt there was a lower drafted set of skill positions in the league the last 20 years 

Buddy Nix was not suited to the GM job and the game had passed him by.  And I think Chan wanted to go with unheralded types as if to prove he could scheme lesser talent.  16-32 after 3 seasons says they were both incapable.  Of course, this was after they used the 9th overall pick on a RB and used significant resources to transition in 1 offseason from a Cover 2 defense to a 3-4.  That didn't work, but it gobbled up resources which should have been used to add talent on offense.  

• Like (+1) 2

His first appearance in Buffalo regular season action. My impression was smart guy that wasn’t accurate enough. People in here still seem to knock his arm strength, but I always felt he had enough zip to do well. The accuracy was frustrating. I remember going to a game and the Bills ran some kind of play action rollout to the tight end. Tight End was wide open (missed assignment) and Fitz still missed him by a wide margin. He just seemed to miss enough throws where it becomes hard to win. If he had Orton’s arm he could have been a playoff qb.

I’ll be the first to admit I thought we had something in him after his game against the Jags. I’ll never forget the 94-97 yard bomb he threw to Owens. I legitimately thought he could be the QB we’ve been looking for. Then after he signed his extension the real him came out. I started seeing more of the flaws including not only his noodle for an arm but the fact that he struggled reading defenses. But then there were games he would have that would make me a believer again and then he would crash back to reality. 

probably a horrible way to put it. But he played like a 80s slasher movie. Like you think what your seeing is new at first but then you realize it’s same old same old

7 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

His first appearance in Buffalo regular season action. My impression was smart guy that wasn’t accurate enough. People in here still seem to knock his arm strength, but I always felt he had enough zip to do well. The accuracy was frustrating. I remember going to a game and the Bills ran some kind of play action rollout to the tight end. Tight End was wide open (missed assignment) and Fitz still missed him by a wide margin. He just seemed to miss enough throws where it becomes hard to win. If he had Orton’s arm he could have been a playoff qb.

I used to say if he had an arm like Jeff George he’d probably be a hall of famer 

• Like (+1) 1