The Vote by mail debate

On 8/2/2020 at 9:36 AM, Commsvet11 said:

I understand the real world perfectly.
You seem confused, for example, you think voting is a service or a convenience, when in fact it is a right. 
A person EXERCISES their right. 

It's not a right, it's a privilege.  Not EVERYONE living here has it.  Many would learn what it takes to attain that privilege.  But it's most, certainly, not a right.

• Like (+1) 1

The Post reports that Trump’s attacks are undermining his own party: “President Trump’s unfounded attacks on mail balloting are discouraging his own supporters from embracing the practice, according to polls and Republican leaders across the country, prompting growing alarm that one of the central strategies of his campaign is threatening GOP prospects in November.”

Why do we need mail in voting?  Citizens have been able to get to the polls for nearly 250 years and now all of a sudden they can’t?  With regard to Covid?  We’ve been able to go to stores and wait in line to check out, wait in line at banks etc. As a matter of fact I’ve joked about the industries that are getting rich are the once making the social distancing signs.  So I don’t understand the need. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Why do we need mail in voting? 

Ask Oregon and Utah.

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

As a matter of fact I’ve joked about the industries that are getting rich are the once making the social distancing signs. 

That's a terrible joke, and even worse spelling. 

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Ask Oregon and Utah.

That's a terrible joke, and even worse spelling. 

I’m not following this close enough. Explain why I should be asking Oregon and Utah. 

And I guess you don’t know the difference between a spelling error and a typo/autocorrect error. ?

28 Million Mail-In Ballots Went Missing in Last Four Elections

To illustrate the risk, Churchwell notes that in 2016 Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by garnering over 2.8 million more votes than Donald Trump. But nearly 6 million unaccounted mail-in ballots were never counted in 2016, more than twice her margin in the popular vote. The potential to affect elections by chasing down unused mail-in ballots and make sure they get counted – using methods that may or may not be legal – is great.

• Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Obviously you are not.

Oregon, for example, has been vote by mail since 2000. 

From the same article I linked above...

But PILF obtained voter data from Oregon, the first state to adopt voting by mail exclusively, for the 2012 and 2018 elections and checked it against census data. Of the 7 million ballots the state sent out in those two elections, some 871,000 ballots are totally unaccounted for.

Losing only one of eight ballots, as opposed to the national average of one in five, may be the result of Oregon having a more accurate listing of voters’ addresses than many other states, but that’s still a very high percentage of missing ballots, and Oregon would not reveal its data for the 2014 and 2016 elections for reasons the state would not disclose.

Losing 1 of every 8 mail in ballots sent out I just can't view as a success under any circumstances

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

WELL, THERE YOU ARE, THE EXPERTS HAVE SPOKEN: 

November election in U.S. can be held safely, experts say.

November-election-in-US-can-be-held-safe

With the 2020 presidential election just three months away, new research suggests an election can be held safely if stringent steps are taken to lower COVID-19 infection risk.

The conclusion follows a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigation that looked at what happened in the city of Milwaukee this past April after Wisconsin became the first state to hold an election in the midst of the pandemic.

The bottom line: the election did not appear to trigger an uptick in cases, hospitalizations or deaths due to COVID-19.

More at the link:

• Thank you (+1) 1