Politics in Football, Sports in General

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hey, if I was wrong, I'm wrong. I just read the stats on the main page. I default to Scott.

With that said, the optics are bad and that will be fixed. Thanks for the head's up about a potential misinterpretation. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hey, if I was wrong, I'm wrong. I just read the stats on the main page. I default to Scott.

I was gonna say before SDS jumped in, no PPP archive throws all that way off.  Scroll down a little more on the home page and you'll see millions of archived posts from the main board.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Billl said:

They should at least be up front about the fact that these displays are advertisements.  They intentionally do it on the sly in order to make people think these are organic displays and not paid sponsorships.  Pretty manipulative, IMO.

How about, “Ladies and gentlemen, please rise in honor of the playing of the Tostitos Queso Chip national anthem.” 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

What is everyone's opinion? Should politics be kept out of the NFL? My opinion is yes, keep it out. For starters, after a long week of working and seeing the news, I personally want to escape from all of that outside influence and relax watching football. I do not care who is sitting next to me at a football game, from any walk of life, I just want to watch the game and high five. Yet when things become political, the game isn't as enjoyable. My opinion is sports and sports teams should be like Switzerland and be neutral.

Switzerland was not even remotely neutral, they were Hitlers bankers, they hid stolen cash, Art, etc etc. for Germany,  laundered money so Germany could still purchase what they needed during the war. They were guilty as hell during and after the war years purposefully hiding the ill gotten gains of a multitude of German officials. Thought you might want to know...

It is impossible to keep social justice issues out of any part of our lives, football players and team employees are not robots, they are humans with all that comes with that, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 5

I go back and forth on things. On one hand literally almost everything in life is political and black people in America have very few large platforms outside of sports and entertainment to get their message across. On the other hand it is nice to have something that is just there for pure entertainment value and is relatively apolitical. I think in the end I am fine with political statements in various areas of entertainment as it doesn't hamper my enjoyment at all. But I get why people just want somethings to say politically neutral. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Shut up and dribble!

I don't think anyone should be commenting on things outside of their sphere.  Athletes and sportswriters should stick to sports.  Drs should stick to medicine.  Scientists should stick to whatever it is they do or "science".  The only people who should voice opinions on politics and participate in our democracy are politicians.

our president was a reality tv show host 

Anyone can talk about politics anywhere. If you don’t like it don’t support the team anymore since you clearly don’t support the player speaking up. 

The NFL glorifies the military to no end, when they remove that garbage then we can talk 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

What is everyone's opinion? Should politics be kept out of the NFL? My opinion is yes, keep it out. For starters, after a long week of working and seeing the news, I personally want to escape from all of that outside influence and relax watching football. I do not care who is sitting next to me at a football game, from any walk of life, I just want to watch the game and high five. Yet when things become political, the game isn't as enjoyable. My opinion is sports and sports teams should be like Switzerland and be neutral.

I’m not going to go too far down the rabbit hole but “should” and “will” aren’t the same. Athletes are some of the most recognizable people in this country. They are some of the most recognizable black people in this country. When we are in the situation that we are in it is unreasonable to expect the loudest voices to remain quiet. It just isn’t going to happen now or in the future. That ship has sailed. This is something that people are going to have to get comfortable with and accept or find something else to occupy their time. In the social media era they have a megaphone and advertisers haven’t shunned the socially active. We won’t see politics and sports split in my lifetime. This is the new norm.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Anyone can talk about politics anywhere. If you don’t like it don’t support the team anymore since you clearly don’t support the player speaking up. 

The NFL glorifies the military to no end, when they remove that garbage then we can talk 

What do you do for a living?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Glorifying the military is no considered garbage? Good to know.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

I’m trying to watch football I don’t wanna hear nor care for the US military. It has no relevance to my daily life or what’s going on in America right now. 

Edited by Penfield45

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Right on Scott!  Politics has no place in music!

Tom has a political science degree from Harvard.  Rush Limbaugh dropped out of college after two semesters at Southeast Missouri State.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Name ONE political Rage Against the Machine song.  Just one.  

They made fun of defense contractors in that one song.  I can’t remember the name, but it sounded really angry.

23 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I’m trying to watch football I don’t wanna hear nor care for the US military. It has no relevance to my daily life or what’s going on in America right now. 

You don't have the life you have without the armed forced. So, as a matter of fact, they are extremely relevant, each and everyday. Ignoring that is pretty ***** up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

What is going to happen when wacky weed become multi million dollar industry and wants name on stadium or advertise in NFL?  Tobacco already can't advertise for essentially politics.

Agree all of those decisions are to some degree political. You can't have big money involved and it not be. Same with the NFL's back and forth on gambling and draft kings etc.

34 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

It might not be garbage (though I don't care for it myself) but it is overtly political. Once you go there hard to say social justice issues have no place in the NFL. 

Personally I am relatively laissez faire. Big business (which is what the NFL is afterall) and politics are inextricably linked. Once you start deciding what sort of politics you are going to allow in you are very consciously pushing an agenda. I think the NFL knew that when it banned kneeling for the anthem. It was trying to play to the politics of what it perceives as its core support. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It might not be garbage (though I don't care for it myself) but it is overtly political. Once you go there hard to say social justice issues have no place in the NFL. 

Personally I am relatively laissez faire. Big business (which is what the NFL is afterall) and politics are inextricably linked. Once you start deciding what sort of politics you are going to allow in you are very consciously pushing an agenda. I think the NFL knew that when it banned kneeling for the anthem. It was trying to play to the politics of what it perceives as its core support. 

Sports, any form of it, are entertainment, pure and simple. I don't hold these athletes to any sort of standard. They are human beings, i don't expect them to totally check everything at the door.