Politics in Football, Sports in General

11 minutes ago, ALF said:

Just remove the National Anthem from NFL games ( I'm a veteran ) end controversy ,( I support BLM )

No kidding.  National anthems belong at international sporting events (The World Cup) and not in domestic sports.  They should not be played before Bills games.

People who are upset by the kneeling better get ready for the inevitable fans sitting down in the stands during the anthem.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/9/2020 at 12:36 PM, Jauronimo said:

Name ONE political Rage Against the Machine song.  Just one.  

Killing in the Name.  

Raising consciousness/challenging authority is by its very nature political. Many have been killed for doing just that.

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

A short reply to a long post:  Why is the national anthem political.  It is what it is - a song about the country we live in.  It becomes political when people assign it values and people disagree on those values.

There are things we all, every person, can agree upon it seems to me.  Pride in the country we live would seem to be one of them.  I have had the opportunity to travel the world for my job and that pride is warranted.  I have seen poor areas that do not exist in the US.  Yes there are areas of opportunity and always will be but if you want to live free and have the opportunity to make a better life, there is no country better in the world.

I really don't care if the anthem is played or not.  Would prefer it so but not lose any sleep if stopped.  If that is removed then something else political will take its place.  The problems will not be solved but the people who want to divide and demote the country will be happy for 2 minutes then onto the next symbol.

The person who started this thread complained about politics in sports.  The anthem has nothing to do with sports, was not written for events, and contains lyrics of oppression that are offensive to some people. 

Bottom line, you dont want politics in sports from athletes, then remove the politics from the game.  As long as the national anthem, with its divisive lyrics, forcing people to honor whatever connection brings up for them to the song, it will always remain political.  

And you are right, song means different things to different people.  To far too many, that meaning carries political ties.  So, simple...someone wants no politics in sports, the sole solution is to remove politics from sports and that starts with the anthem.

Me personally, I dont have an issue with the anthem.  I dont care if people argue through the song, kneel, poop, get a beer, have sex, or what not during the song.  Why on earth  anyone else cares what someone else does during the song is beyond me.  If people only cared about their own experience during the song, there would be no issue.  But humans are disgustingly arrogant though all of time that feel they MUST force their experience/belief onto others no matter what.  See almost every war in history.  

So when you add a song, that carries different meanings to people that involve politics to the start of a sporting event, you are now forever tying that sport and its athletes, fans, etc to politics.  There is no 2 ways about it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

I have one kid who couldn't care less about professional sports and one who will go to Ravens games. I don't sense a strong bond between younger fans and the game.

My kids are casual fans at best .... seems the only real allure for them is the tailgate tomfoolery and drunkfest. Once that inevitably leaves, there will be very little attraction left 

15 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Killing in the Name.  

Raising consciousness/challenging authority is by its very nature political. Many have been killed for doing just that.

Sarcasm. 

If they removed the National Anthem from regular sports events, the average person would go years without hearing it. Then the only time you would hear it is once again sports, this time being the Olympics.

Maybe I'm missing something, anyone know where and when they would ever hear it again besides sports.

4 minutes ago, without a drought said:

If they removed the National Anthem from regular sports events, the average person would go years without hearing it. Then the only time you would hear it is once again sports, this time being the Olympics.

Maybe I'm missing something, anyone know where and when they would ever hear it again besides sports.

Inaugerations?

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And right there, with all due respect, is what is wrong with your argument.  It’s all spelled out right in that statement.  Astronomical platforms can lead to meaningful change.  That’s what protests are all about.  This seems so obvious.

I respect your opinion, but my opinion is that it was the wrong time.  Maybe, if a group of players got together on their own time, put forth a coordinated  effort, organized meetings at their local police precincts and created their own platforms they could have also made a great movement without the backlash.  

3 hours ago, without a drought said:

We used to have to stand and listen to the anthem before movies.  Times change.

3 hours ago, without a drought said:

4th of July? Political events. Memorial Day potentially.

you could put it on your phone and listen on your drive to work or at bbqs! 

I think athletes can have strong impacts with their voices and that can be great. What they don’t need is political correctness skewing their messages or opinions. Just like those who want Kaepernicks voice to be heard, they must also allow for everyone’s voice to be heard. 

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is irrelevant to the point though. If you allow the military to hold PR rallies at your event that choice is in itself political. Any advertising choices the NFL makes are political to an extent.... but most of them are not arms of the state. Most of them don't take their orders, ultimately, from politicians. I don't have any problem with the NFL behaving in that way, but once you open to door to those sorts of political decisions (even with ultimately a financial motive) it is very difficult to say politics must stay out. 

The idea that the military is "political" is interesting.  

Is the military conservative or liberal?  Before you answer, consider recent statements from Generals Colin Powell, James Mattis, John Kelly, and Admiral William McRaven.

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We are inherently a really, for a lack of better word, STUPID society that is heavily influenced by shiny objects and celebrity.  What I mean by that is simple...as a society, we NEVER elect the most qualified candidates for anything.  Our votes trend to those who have a charisma or some other draw.  We live in a country where the great candidates the Republican Party had were defeated by a man long known for corruption, lying, sexual assault, etc who was a reality TV star and many times over failed business man.  On the democratic side, both in 2016 and 2020 we let a woman no one trusted, with controversy following her and her husband for decades rise to the top of the list and in 2020 we had a deep roster of some really good candidates get over shadowed by a guy with his own skeletons in his closet regarding sexual misconduct, questionable policies on his resume, and who has quite honestly losing his mind a bit with his very old age.   

You raised some good points AD but you are killing me with the bolded LOL!!!!! Great candidates? I beg to differ.

10 hours ago, GG said:

Then it goes both ways, correct?

I’ve heard plenty of folks in this thread suggest removing the anthem ritual from the pre-game.  So yes?  Personally I have no problem with it if the Army wants to advertise and certain people want to express their patriotism or whatever and others want to kneel.  To each his or her own, Gerry.  But I’m sure you’ll go dig up some incident from 1983 when Joe Biden discussed his love of the national anthem and waive it in our faces as some kind of “See they’re all hypocrites!” retort.

Edited by Coach Tuesday