Politics in Football, Sports in General

12 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

both attended college.

Sorry, neither completed, both were college drop outs.  Most people imply that “going to college” means leaving with a degree.   I can’t help but think you’re just splitting hairs here.

6 minutes ago, Dirtyd415 said:

Sorry, neither completed, both were college drop outs.  Most people imply that “going to college” means leaving with a degree.   I can’t help but think you’re just splitting hairs here.

Not necessarily. Just trying to help you out. Being accurate/splitting hairs, I guess you can take your pick. 

27 minutes ago, Hermes said:

I'm not missing the point in the least we just have different perspectives on it. The NFL as an employer gives it's employees the opportunity to express opinions by grandstanding themselves and making a spectacle of the whole ordeal. People would still watch if there were no anthem or flyovers. 

The NFL, in particular, and major league sports, in general are completely different beasts than your average employers. The NFL as an organization isn't a fair model for it's employees where players are treated like cattle and drafted by teams they might not want to play for, all for the 'privilege' to continue their employment. 

The visibility of the platform that these athletes perform on is absolutely astronomical.  So yes, while they are still people, the impact they have due to their  profession is much greater than almost all other people around the world. 

Fair enough.  The only thing is the NFL didn't initially give their consent.  They had to scramble to get a handle on it when they started to receive backlash.  

You are right, NFL players do have an astronomical platform.  That is exactly why there was no need to hijack a moment meant for something else.  That is the crux of my argument.  

My only point in all of this is there is a right time, and right way to do things.  I don't believe the kneeling during the anthem, especially with pig/cop socks,  is the right way, in the simple sense that it has caused unnecessary backlash for the league and further division of people.  It did bring a heightened awareness of the issue at hand, so there is absolutely success in that.  It could have been done differently, and without the backlash.  I might be right, or wrong, its only my opinion.  

4 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

You are right, NFL players do have an astronomical platform.  That is exactly why there was no need to hijack a moment meant for something else.  That is the crux of my argument.  

And right there, with all due respect, is what is wrong with your argument.  It’s all spelled out right in that statement.  Astronomical platforms can lead to meaningful change.  That’s what protests are all about.  This seems so obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

It is football, not a platform for politically correct viewpoints. End of story.

So, your short answer without the hyperbole would be yes.  It's sad to me that you view someone putting his career on the line as a politically correct viewpoint.  Something that should be applauded and used as a teaching moment for our next generation of adults is instead bastardized and called "politically correct."

My guess is that this is something that you'll just have to either get used to or ignore.  If you're at a game be in the beer line during this time.  If you're at home tune out until 10 past the hour.  Real problems deserve to be discussed.  If that makes you uncomfortable then ignore.

47 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

Fair enough.  The only thing is the NFL didn't initially give their consent.  They had to scramble to get a handle on it when they started to receive backlash.  

My only point in all of this is there is a right time, and right way to do things.  I don't believe the kneeling during the anthem, especially with pig/cop socks,  is the right way, in the simple sense that it has caused unnecessary backlash for the league and further division of people.  It did bring a heightened awareness of the issue at hand, so there is absolutely success in that.  It could have been done differently, and without the backlash.  I might be right, or wrong, its only my opinion.  

Okay this is not me attacking you, this is an attempt to educate.

"There is a right way to protest" is a form of control, it is a form of racism. It is applied only by White America to minorities. White America never, to this day!, holds themselves accountable to a "right way to protest."

What was the Boston Tea Party? American Revolution? Civil War? Even recently, with Covid protests in Michigan — compare the treatment of those White protestors with Black protestors. Compare the reactions to the two.

The only "right way to protest" is the way that is effective. White America should be so thankful that Black Americans are a culture of peaceful good people. Black America should want revenge... and all Black people have ever wanted is equality. It's such a heartbreakingly humble request, and it's so horrifying to see White people think it's a debate, and a matter of opinion, that Black Lives Matter enough to stand up to police brutality. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like sports as an escape if I wanted the real world I would tune in the news.

Fans of all stripes go to games with one common theme....cheer on your team for 2 1/2 to 3 hours and forget all the BS. 

21 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I like sports as an escape if I wanted the real world I would tune in the news.

Fans of all stripes go to games with one common theme....cheer on your team for 2 1/2 to 3 hours and forget all the BS. 

Not trying to be an antagonist but I asked this earlier and no one responded. How, specifically, is someone kneeling during the anthem impacting your experience? Are you still thinking about that with 3:38 to go in the 2nd quarter? Once the game starts the only thing that I’m thinking about is how the Bills can have more points when the clock hits zero. I just don’t really understand. 

“Wanting to escape” to me is code for “I don’t like the protest.” That’s why I’m asking the question. I want to be educated. If anyone wants to explain how it changes their experience watching the game I’m all ears. It’s just something I can’t wrap my head around at this point.

18 hours ago, Billl said:

I’m sure he has a confederate flag sticker on his truck as well.

Reading most of these posts is very enlightening. I was born and raised in Rochester, hence the reason I’m a Bills fan. I’ve lived in Mississippi most of my life. It’s funny how people in Buffalo make fun of all the “dumb rednecks” here while all the jobs have left western New York for places in the south. I come to Buffalo about 3 times a year and it becomes more of a dump every year but you just keep pretending how much better you are than others. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not trying to be an antagonist but I asked this earlier and no one responded. How, specifically, is someone kneeling during the anthem impacting your experience? Are you still thinking about that with 3:38 to go in the 2nd quarter? Once the game starts the only thing that I’m thinking about is how the Bills can have more points when the clock hits zero. I just don’t really understand. 

“Wanting to escape” to me is code for “I don’t like the protest.” That’s why I’m asking the question. I want to be educated. If anyone wants to explain how it changes their experience watching the game I’m all ears. It’s just something I can’t wrap my head around at this point.

If people are just so brazenly going to forget about it, or put it out of their mind, what is the point then?

Look, we can all have what we want. It's been suggested that we set up two leagues, one where players are allowed to have opinions and another where they understand that they are only dancing ponies whose only purpose is to entertain us and above all not challenge our world views. 

Just now, ALF said:

After these massive protests  for a just cause I would not blame any players for taking a knee. It's not about the flag at all from here out.

it never was to them. It was a false narrative that disregarded the facts and explanations of the situation.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

If people are just so brazenly going to forget about it, or put it out of their mind, what is the point then?

Maybe that’s a me problem? It’s not something I’m thinking about during the game. Maybe I need to be? That’s a fair question. Are other people fixated on it throughout? 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps, but the sanctimonious, self-righteous outrage remains. 

far too many people were willing to substitute their own misrepresentations for the explanations of the people involved, their change of behavior and why those changes occurred. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've said it before. I'm a veteran and I think the flag is a piece of cloth. It's what it represents that is meaningful. If you you feel you're not afforded the rights that this nations constitution and it's laws are meant to protect while others do then kneeling is your right and I support you in doing so.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, Radar said:

I've said it before. I'm a veteran and I think the flag is a piece of cloth. It's what it represents that is meaningful. If you you feel you're not afforded the rights that this nations constitution and it's laws are meant to protect while others do then kneeling is your right and I support you in doing so.

I am a veteran as well and served in the 2nd Gulf War and I completely agree with you.

Having the right to kneel (laydown, play hopscotch, whatever as long as it is not violent or unwanted harm on others) is why I served this country.  

I see plenty of ignorant posts on this thread and I would like to think that the ignorant ones are not veterans that actually were willing to put their differences aside and fight for this country (agreeing with the fight or not).

I will say, that our politics, this two party system, is going to end our society as we know it.  It happened to the Roman Republic and it will happen to us.  There is a reason George Washington warned about the two party system. It is designed to divide the people. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3