Politics in Football, Sports in General

Last I checked sports are played by human beings, not robots. Every person on this planet has a right to his or her opinion on anything. Especially events that involve humanity, police brutality and racism. This whole idea of "shut up and dribble" is dripping in ignorance. Systemic Racism has been handed down from generation to generation for 400 years. If we don't all have a voice then what's the point of sports. What's the point of living. We need to keep talking, evolving in the fight against racism. 

Everyone is allowed their own opinions and everyone surely has them. I don't care about their opinions as I sure as heck know that they really don't care about mine. My world and theirs are completely different. At the same time, when all of the sports programming becomes no better than CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News, which I avoid at all costs, it gets ridiculous. Sports is meant to be an escape. It is where we have always united together in fandom regardless of race, gender, or orientation. We are all like an extended family. I see people wearing Bills gear and we immediately have a connection. When all of the outside mess is brought into it then things just lose their luster. It's part of the reason that my love of sports has definitely declined over the last few years. They keep up with the propaganda then there will be MANY who walk away without looking back and then it will hit these people where it hurts most, in the pocket. 

18 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Sports, any form of it, are entertainment, pure and simple. I don't hold these athletes to any sort of standard. They are human beings, i don't expect them to totally check everything at the door.

Completely agree. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Everyone is allowed their own opinions and everyone surely has them. I don't care about their opinions as I sure as heck know that they really don't care about mine. My world and theirs are completely different. At the same time, when all of the sports programming becomes no better than CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News, which I avoid at all costs, it gets ridiculous. Sports is meant to be an escape. It is where we have always united together in fandom regardless of race, gender, or orientation. We are all like an extended family. I see people wearing Bills gear and we immediately have a connection. When all of the outside mess is brought into it then things just lose their luster. It's part of the reason that my love of sports has definitely declined over the last few years. They keep up with the propaganda then there will be MANY who walk away without looking back and then it will hit these people where it hurts most, in the pocket. 

Mainly because 99.9% of people don't carry themselves anywhere near the way they do online, as they do in public.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

They keep up with the propaganda then there will be MANY who walk away without looking back and then it will hit these people where it hurts most, in the pocket. 

Of course. The thing that changes the political calculations of multi billion dollar industries is money. So far though there is no evidence that it has driven people away from the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you don’t like their politics you do have the ultimate power of the checkbook just spend your money elsewhere and watch something else...sports is driven like anything else by the almighty dollar...see the NBA during the Hong Kong protests last year they couldn’t be more terrified of President Xi and the Communists over there if they tried I mean the look of terror

on Lebrons face when he was asked about the Chinese Governments tactics said it all 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Players being political off the field is fine- I have never thought they agreed with me. But do not be political on the field, I use sports as my refuge from the world. In other words go to any rallies and protest you want but allow me to be politic free during game time. I also do not see why support of the military is political, we all should support them overall even if the current commander is not to our liking.

Politics everywhere is toxic. 

I avoid politics and religion in all aspects of my social and tv life. 
I don’t personally care what the players do/say because I can turn the channel or not read it. Those rare times I do look at a quote or see them on camera I don’t hold it against them. I can’t have all this hate in my heart sooooooo many are harboring and show during political debates online and in person. 
The internet and social media have created a nasty nasty disrespectful society. I would have to guess 80% of the stuff people say online they would never say to someone’s face. That has created a very hateful online community 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

What is everyone's opinion? Should politics be kept out of the NFL? My opinion is yes, keep it out. For starters, after a long week of working and seeing the news, I personally want to escape from all of that outside influence and relax watching football. I do not care who is sitting next to me at a football game, from any walk of life, I just want to watch the game and high five. Yet when things become political, the game isn't as enjoyable. My opinion is sports and sports teams should be like Switzerland and be neutral.

does a player standing or kneeling actually effect that though, as the current example 

I’m assuming you are fine with the anthem and flyovers etc... which are inherently political... unless I’ve misread you and you want it all removed

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Players being political off the field is fine- I have never thought they agreed with me. But do not be political on the field, I use sports as my refuge from the world. In other words go to any rallies and protest you want but allow me to be politic free during game time. I also do not see why support of the military is political, we all should support them overall even if the current commander is not to our liking.

that’s a hugely political statement. It’s just one you support. 

Edited by NoSaint

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Shut up and dribble!

I don't think anyone should be commenting on things outside of their sphere.  Athletes and sportswriters should stick to sports.  Drs should stick to medicine.  Scientists should stick to whatever it is they do or "science".  The only people who should voice opinions on politics and participate in our democracy are politicians.

What about voters?

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

does a player standing or kneeling actually effect that though, as the current example 

I’m assuming you are fine with the anthem and flyovers etc... which are inherently political... unless I’ve misread you and you want it all removed

I look at the military similar to the supreme court, I might not like it always but overall it is a good and necessary thing. I truly ask how is the military a political thing? So many Dems serve proudly, no one I have discussed it with is embarrassed they were in it, I don't get the politics 

50 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Mainly because 99.9% of people don't carry themselves anywhere near the way they do online, as they do in public.

I treat everyone the same online and in person. I treat everyone the same regardless of race, gender, or orientation. I can't speak for everyone else on that, only myself. I, myself, am over things being shoved in my face by people who have no idea about what it's like to live as the average person in this world. Hollywood, athletes, musicians, politicians, reporters in any field, all of them. I could care less what they want, or about the propaganda they push, or what "side" they are on. I don't need their guidance in any aspect of my life. Their opinions are useless to me personally. They don't pay my bills, they don't raise my kids, and they don't live my life. The only influence they have is with those whom give them that authority and I am not one who holds them in that regard. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yep. It is "I don't agree with politics in sport if it is not my politics." 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I look at the military similar to the supreme court, I might not like it always but overall it is a good and necessary thing. I truly ask how is the military a political thing? So many Dems serve proudly, no one I have discussed it with is embarrassed they were in it, I don't get the politics 

The military are delivery agents of foreign policy. To think that is not political is madness. It isn't about whether you think the military is a good thing or not. The military is overtly political.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Empty stadiums will do that.

Yes thats for sure, bad TV ratings and merchandise sales will do the same. Out of curiosity I went on Twitter and searched #BoycottNFL and others similar. A lot of talk. Not going to be good for the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The biggest point of this came from kneeling a few years ago. I think it is great the players have a cause they feel so much about. Their choice of kneeling gametime alienated many people. After their work hours have at it, but not when the fans that pay to see the game and relax (get away from it all) are there. If people want to enjoy the game but gameday the NFL and players are pushing it, where is the enjoyment for the fans?

As far as my background goes, I am an electrician, a vet (Air Force), and generally work long days, weekends and cherish my time off. Keep football at gametime neutral. There are enough venues during the week players can voice their opinions, it just shouldn't be gameday.

3 minutes ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

The biggest point of this came from kneeling a few years ago. I think it is great the players have a cause they feel so much about. Their choice of kneeling gametime alienated many people. After their work hours have at it, but not when the fans that pay to see the game and relax (get away from it all) are there. If people want to enjoy the game but gameday the NFL and players are pushing it, where is the enjoyment for the fans?

The fans don't have a game without the players. If you don't like players kneeling stop watching. I am yet to see any evidence people will in sufficient numbers to hurt the NFL's bottom line. Maybe they will. If they do then the NFL will go back to its "you can only be political if it is the politics of our base" position. But pretending you don't like kneeling because you'd prefer to keep politics out of sport while holding your hand on your heart for a military fly past is hypocritical. What you mean is you'd rather keep politics you disagree with out of sport.

• Like (+1) 2