Politics in Football, Sports in General

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is an advertiser.  At one point the military was going to stop paying for it and then that is different issue.  I have heard MADD complain about alcohol advertising which means alcohol ads are political.  I agree that NFL should not renew it with anthem but if military wants to advertise (I'd suggest new stadium for Bills using Army Corps of Engineers building it and stadium name Army Stadium) so other way fine.

I take the point that alcohol can be considered political and any decision of who or how to advertise is really - as I said you can't have apolitical multi million dollar industries. But the military is more overtly political. Especially when it is engaged in essentially foreign policy delivery overseas.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Yeah it's weird.  I like football.  I also like chess.  I'm about as likely to care about Von Miller's politics as Magnus Carlsen's.  They're just people at the end of the day.

this is it.  i don't mind the differing opinions...it's just not where i look for that type of conversation.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

this will go well?

will it lase before I get to post?  

Politics should have nothing to do with Sports

Shady, in a perfect world, you’re right, but then again hearing George Clooney and other celebrities who think they have such an important view, but don’t still keep throwing out their opinions.  I do understand you’re point though.  I do.  I don’t mind athletes giving their opinion, but I don’t have to listen nor care what anyone has to say.  I make up my own mind based ona number if points, and am always willing to listen.  I may not agree, but will listen.

Hopefully the news cycle blows over and the people ready to complete actions for all of us to be better bears out, not bloviating as is being done by actors, politicians, athletes, and all of us.  Anyone willing to take action to make a change I applaud.

It does not matter what we think. Many owners and Goodell will do whatever certain political persons tell them to do, to make life more lavish or peaceful for them. Our opinions only matter if we do not buy their NFL stuff or show up. Otherwise our views will fall on deaf ears. We are likely nobodies in their eyes, despite their talk of care. Goodell only caved in a little with his statement because he feared backlash for doing nothing. He could have taken steps further, but the rich owners would not have allowed that. Politics will always be in football, in the public's eye and behind the scenes, as that is where the money and power is.

9 minutes ago, HappyBillsFan said:

I watch sports for entertainment and not to be preached to. Same as for when I go to the movies. Hearing athletes and celebrities opinions on anything other than their craft is not what I want. There’s a thousand places I can get political commentary... and a lot of the time I just want a break from all that hoopla. 

I am actually avoiding almost all sporting news now, because it is not about sports. I find myself watching renovation, cooking, and house hunting shows now because they usually leave all politics out. 

It would be different if there was only one news station I could turn on and didn’t have options to hear different commentaries on the same subject. But there is political news for every opinion and view 24hours a day. It doesn’t need to be in sports also. If an athlete wants to express his/her opinion outside the game, so be it... but injecting it into sports broadcasting/shows, I lose interest real fast. 

-posted on an NFL themed message board

• Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, HappyBillsFan said:

I watch sports for entertainment and not to be preached to. Same as for when I go to the movies. Hearing athletes and celebrities opinions on anything other than their craft is not what I want. There’s a thousand places I can get political commentary... and a lot of the time I just want a break from all that hoopla. 

I am actually avoiding almost all sporting news now, because it is not about sports. I find myself watching renovation, cooking, and house hunting shows now because they usually leave all politics out. 

It would be different if there was only one news station I could turn on and didn’t have options to hear different commentaries on the same subject. But there is political news for every opinion and view 24hours a day. It doesn’t need to be in sports also. If an athlete wants to express his/her opinion outside the game, so be it... but injecting it into sports broadcasting/shows, I lose interest real fast. 

If only they'd stick to their freedom zones and express their opinion where I won't ever have to see it then everything would be cool. So a few people got killed because of the color of their skin. No reason I should have be slightly uncomfortable knowing that they're out there kneeling while I'm taking a piss in the bathroom during the anthem.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

If only they'd stick to their freedom zones and express their opinion where I won't ever have to see it then everything would be cool. So a few people got killed because of the color of their skin. No reason I should have be slightly uncomfortable know that they're out there kneeling while I'm taking a piss in the bathroom during the anthem.

Amen.  Lets just keep our entertainment and our politics separate.  What’s next?  Are we going to start electing actors to be the POTUS?  Draft dodging reality TV stars?  

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

TwoBillsDrive.com, a website dedicated to a football team and sports discussion.

The Stadium Wall (including sub-boards College Football and OTW): 365,697 posts

Politics board, hidden away at the bottom of the list: 736,616 posts

Twice the activity.

There are some people who come to a football site and have only posted on PPP.

I'd say folks here LOVE combining politics with their sports.  LOVE IT.

MF5axzd.jpg

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

An NFL themed message board which has far more activity in its Politics section than on the main board, even during the season. So yeah, extra weird around here.

This completely false and it isn't even close. Why would you say that? This board gets 7x the posting traffic over the course of a year and up to 10x during the season. This month is a little different for obvious reasons.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SDS said:

This completely false and it isn't even close. Why would you say that? This board gets 7x the posting traffic over the course of a year and up to 10x during the season. This month is a little different for obvious reasons.

You'd know better than I would. I'm just going off the stats made available to the public.

Maybe the difference is in "traffic" vs "activity"?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

TwoBillsDrive.com, a website dedicated to a football team and sports discussion.

The Stadium Wall (including sub-boards College Football and OTW): 365,697 posts

Politics board, hidden away at the bottom of the list: 736,616 posts

Twice the activity.

There are some people who come to a football site and have only posted on PPP.

I'd say folks here LOVE combining politics with their sports.  LOVE IT.

MF5axzd.jpg

Full stop. You don't know what you are talking about. I ROUTINELY move topics into the archive many times per year. There are 5 Million posts in there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You'd know better than I would. I'm just going off the stats made available to the public.

Maybe the difference is in "traffic" vs "activity"?

I love it when people try to sound smart by feigning stupidity.

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Pushing Nationalism into the game via military advertising is politicizing it. Players didn't come out for the anthem before the DOD started paying the NFL.

Why do we have the anthem before sporting events anyways?

Take away all that BS and a lot of the other political stuff goes away.

Like you said, it’s part and parcel to the paid advertising by the military. As is the insistence by owners that players stand with helmets off, as the cameras slowly pan that image before fading to the flag flapping in the wind or, even more impressive, that giant field sized flag held by dozens of people imparting movement to mimic that dramatic flapping. All while the strains of the anthem are played. It’s a visual and audible dramatic extravaganza. Carefully crafted, carefully staged, carefully manipulated. 

Because “patriotism” was discovered to be a powerful appeal in advertising. From football to Coca Cola to Chevy trucks, patriotic imagery and music is used to get you to buy the product. In MY America, in MY view of what that flag symbolizes, these transparent displays prostitute the idea of America itself.