Politics in Football, Sports in General

What is everyone's opinion? Should politics be kept out of the NFL? My opinion is yes, keep it out. For starters, after a long week of working and seeing the news, I personally want to escape from all of that outside influence and relax watching football. I do not care who is sitting next to me at a football game, from any walk of life, I just want to watch the game and high five. Yet when things become political, the game isn't as enjoyable. My opinion is sports and sports teams should be like Switzerland and be neutral.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

They are inextricably connected and always have been. If that offends, then prepare to be outraged from time to time. Even more so during more turbulent times like now.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Shut up and dribble!

I don't think anyone should be commenting on things outside of their sphere.  Athletes and sportswriters should stick to sports.  Drs should stick to medicine.  Scientists should stick to whatever it is they do or "science".  The only people who should voice opinions on politics and participate in our democracy are politicians.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The NFL itself politicises the game with all of its salute to service events etc. It is rich of them to then complain when the players politicise it for the causes they support. 

As for what do I want as a fan.... I believe that once something is a multi million dollar industry (let alone a multi billion dollar industry) then it is inevitably political in some sense. Politics, sport, money and power. Four sides of the same square. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Shut up and dribble!

I don't think anyone should be commenting on things outside of their sphere.  Athletes and sportswriters should stick to sports.  Drs should stick to medicine.  Scientists should stick to whatever it is they do or "science".  The only people who should voice opinions on politics and participate in our democracy are politicians.

Except for Drew Brees. He doesn’t have to dribble. He’s got a right to have an opinion! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

i don't mind politics being intertwined into the game.  i personally think of sports as strict entertainment, and don't typically look towards athletes or actors as a source of political or spiritual influence, but i don't mind if others express their beliefs.  you never know where there's a learning opportunity.

a guy i grew up with stopped watching football for a couple of years because of the kneeling issue.  this is a guy who loves the bills and played football.  i just couldn't wrap my head around that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Shut up and dribble!

Yep.  The only people who should be allowed to voice opinions are people who agree with me.  

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The NFL itself politicises the game with all of its salute to service events etc. It is rich of them to then complain when the players politicise it for the causes they support. 

As for what do I want as a fan.... I believe that once something is a multi million dollar industry (let alone a multi billion dollar industry) then it is inevitably political in some sense. Politics, sport, money and power. Four sides of the same square. 

Not to mention that they take govt money for the salute to service stuff and then sell merch to profit off of it, including special jerseys bearing said players' names.

That being said I reserve the right to ridicule athletes for being hypocrites - LeBron being chief among them.  It's about money - stop pretending otherwise.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

They are inextricably connected and always have been. If that offends, then prepare to be outraged from time to time. Even more so during more turbulent times like now.

True. Generally when someone feels that politics should be kept out of things it's because they do not agree with the political views. Sports is part of daily life as are politics, the two are bound to blend (and should do) occasionally

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, teef said:

i don't mind politics being intertwined into the game.  i personally think of sports as strict entertainment, and don't typically look towards athletes or actors as a source of political or spiritual influence, but i don't mind if others express their beliefs.  you never know where there's a learning opportunity.

a guy i grew up with stopped watching football for a couple of years because of the kneeling issue.  this is a guy who loves the bills and played football.  i just couldn't wrap my head around that.

Yeah it's weird.  I like football.  I also like chess.  I'm about as likely to care about Von Miller's politics as Magnus Carlsen's.  They're just people at the end of the day.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

It is not politicizing any more than alcohol - it is an advertiser.

Pushing Nationalism into the game via military advertising is politicizing it. Players didn't come out for the anthem before the DOD started paying the NFL.

Why do we have the anthem before sporting events anyways?

Take away all that BS and a lot of the other political stuff goes away.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Pushing Nationalism into the game via military advertising is politicizing it. Players didn't come out for the anthem before the DOD started paying the NFL.

Why do we have the anthem before sporting events anyways?

Take away all that BS and a lot of the other political stuff goes away.

How can I virtue signal about how “patriotic” I am if they stop playing the national anthem, though?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is an advertiser.  At one point the military was going to stop paying for it and then that is different issue.  I have heard MADD complain about alcohol advertising which means alcohol ads are political.  I agree that NFL should not renew it with anthem but if military wants to advertise (I'd suggest new stadium for Bills using Army Corps of Engineers building it and stadium name Army Stadium) so other way fine.

They should at least be up front about the fact that these displays are advertisements.  They intentionally do it on the sly in order to make people think these are organic displays and not paid sponsorships.  Pretty manipulative, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I watch sports for entertainment and not to be preached to. Same as for when I go to the movies. Hearing athletes and celebrities opinions on anything other than their craft is not what I want. There’s a thousand places I can get political commentary... and a lot of the time I just want a break from all that hoopla. 

I am actually avoiding almost all sporting news now, because it is not about sports. I find myself watching renovation, cooking, and house hunting shows now because they usually leave all politics out. 

It would be different if there was only one news station I could turn on and didn’t have options to hear different commentaries on the same subject. But there is political news for every opinion and view 24hours a day. It doesn’t need to be in sports also. If an athlete wants to express his/her opinion outside the game, so be it... but injecting it into sports broadcasting/shows, I lose interest real fast. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3