Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

I'm just about to the point where I simply can't justify spending my time following this team anymore.

They don't deserve it or earn it, and they're pretty close to the worst franchise in the league if not dead last.

It's kind of incredible how badly it has gone since Pegula bought the team!

Could not be worse.  Could it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, Dr. Who said:

Next year's draft has three very good center prospects (Wright, Lambert and Savoie). It's a much stronger draft than this year. I don't think they're purposely tanking, per se, but if you look at the roster configuration and the strength (or lack thereof) of the goaltending, I think they are fine with finishing dead last and securing a 1C prospect to replace Eichel. It's going to be a development year for the youth. Hard to have patience after all these years of ineptitude, but it's a reasonable plan.

Keep finishing dead last and the team will have to move. The fanbase, rightfully so, is not going to get all giddy over any prospect, no matter how highly touted they are.

Edited by Beast

They have a guy who can’t play and refuses to go along with what the medical staff thinks is wise.  If Eichel wants the alternative surgery so badly, let him sign a waiver that automatically voids his contract should he not be able to play for X time post-surgery.

Adams is completely correct here.

Which is a better deal for Eichel:

Multiple picks/high end prospects

The other team taking Skinner and his salary with Eichel a la Jared Goff

?

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They have a guy who can’t play and refuses to go along with what the medical staff thinks is wise.  If Eichel wants the alternative surgery so badly, let him sign a waiver that automatically voids his contract should he not be able to play for X time post-surgery.

Adams is completely correct here.

Eichel doesn’t really want that surgery.  He’s simply lying for leverage.  He’s from Boston.  It’s what they do.

13 hours ago, Beast said:

Keep finishing dead last and the team will have to move. The fanbase, rightfully so, is not going to get all giddy over any prospect, no matter how highly touted they are.

Sure, but this is still the most plausible path to being competitive in the shortest viable time. You're not going to buy yourself out of the endemic futility via free agency. GMTM was not good at drafting outside the first round and compounded problems by spending draft capital and budget to circumvent patience. I don't see how you get good faster than two or three years down the line no matter what your plan is.

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Who are the goalies again? Craig Anderson? and ?? I sincerely can't remember. 

Looks like they are expecting the unpronounceable Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (UPL) to play significant minutes, at least as a primary backup. He's been slow-cooking a while. Goalies take forever to mature to NHL level. The Michigan goalie, Erik Portillo, and Devon Levi, acquired in the Reinhart trade, are development fellas that might get there, but years away.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Looks like they are expecting the unpronounceable Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (UPL) to play significant minutes, at least as a primary backup. He's been slow-cooking a while. Goalies take forever to mature to NHL level. The Michigan goalie, Erik Portillo, and Devon Levi, acquired in the Reinhart trade, are development fellas that might get there, but years away.

Yeah I don't think UPL is ready, keep him in Rochester for the year tbh. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Beast said:

A bad team >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No team

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A bad team >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No team

I disagree in this case to be honest.  I used to bleed Sabres colors, and was probably known as 'that sabres guy' to some people along my life.  

This is awful.  I didn't watch 1 full game last year (perhaps a combined 60 minutes), and probably watched a combined 5 games the 2 seasons prior.  I gave up my season tickets of about 20 years.  I had realized when I go to games, all I could think about was leaving.  It was boring and the team brought no entertainment or joy.  Cant manage meaningful games at any point.  Game nights I was kind of dreading the hassle of attending and the waste of time.

It has been absolutely ruined.  I dont see it getting any better in the near or mid term, and with current joke management, I don't see this working out until 3-5 years down the line where we have the hope that they turn in good faith to real management.

This team went from toast of the town, to them choosing not to sell tickets for most games coming out of an extended absence because they knew nobody would want to go and they didnt want the embarrassment.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, zevo said:

wow...this is the definition of a fair-weather fan.

People have given up, it's like you keep getting a broken product from a company but continue to buy the product... that is stupidity in 2021. Instead might as well follow the team I am living closest to now b/c they actually put out a product worth watching. 

"Fair-weatrher fan" that is something an ignorant person would say.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:44 AM, TBBills said:

People have given up, it's like you keep getting a broken product from a company but continue to buy the product... that is stupidity in 2021. Instead might as well follow the team I am living closest to now b/c they actually put out a product worth watching. 

"Fair-weatrher fan" that is something an ignorant person would say.

And when the Lightning go back to sucking?

What you are describing is quite literally the definition of a fair weather fan.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.