Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

Im very curious to know if this surgery would void the injury insurance on Eichel’s contract. I’ve wondered for a while if that’s partly why the Sabres don’t want it done. But I don’t see why Buffalo would be concerned if they plan to trade him right away anyway. Wonder if it has anything to do with other potential trade partners not wanting him to have the surgery either.

edit - on 2nd listen, this guy says a number of misleading or conflicting things.

He says that spinal fusion has a 25% chance of needing a 2nd surgery within 10 years. Then minutes later said “it’s more likely than not he would need a 2nd procedure with a spinal fusion”.

No, there’s a 75% chance he wouldn’t. That’s 3 in 4 patients...

He later says that with the fusion Eichel will most likely need at least 3 additional surgeries (because of this 25% risk of needing a 2nd surgery). 

He then later says spinal fusion has a 70% chance to return to sports. Then minutes later says 80-85%.

He also admits that he wouldn’t recommend this surgery for an NFL player because of the impacts they take and how risky it would be, but says in the NHL it’s different because they are on ice. 

He also says that there are issue with this disc replacement surgery in the NHL CBA and Eichel might not even be able to be cleared to play after having this surgery!

He seems more like a salesman than a doctor. I feel like he has a vested interest in having an NHL player get this surgery.

Edited by BillsFan4

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Like he can't play with this "injury" Hell its probably healed by now. Hey Jack is you want to get traded it will go better if you actually play well on the ice. Other teams see your whining and aren't go to want you either.

There was a tweet of him skating with Bruins players in Boston.

41 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Eichel can sit for 5 years for all I care. Sabres can not cave here. They have to hold strong and not trade him for a crap return.

If I were Adams, I’d tell Eichel to knock off the **** Immediately.

Tell him he’s hurting his trade value and if he ever actually wants to be traded to STFU. Because he’s not going anywhere until they get proper value and the more he pulls this crap the longer it’ll take.

If what the agents said is true and all these doctors are/were in agreement, Why aren’t they going to injury arbitration anyway? Why handle it through the media? 

Because they would lose in arbitration. It's part of the CBA. No gray area. Sabres have final say. So they are negotiating though the media. 

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

good listen.

Im very curious to know if this surgery would void the injury insurance on Eichel’s contract. I’ve wondered for a while if that’s partly why the Sabres don’t want it done. But I don’t see why Buffalo would be concerned if they plan to trade him right away anyway. Wonder if it has anything to do with other potential trade partners not wanting him to have the surgery either.

Any medical procedure Jack gets that isn't approved by the Sabres voids his contract. I don't know if it voids their rights to him. This procedure has 70% success rate for "return to sports." But it's not clear if they mean playing golf with your buddies or taking hits at full speed.

So we're talking a 1/3 chance of ending Jack's career. Would you sign off on that if your were GM?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because they would lose in arbitration. It's part of the CBA. No gray area. Sabres have final say. So they are negotiating though the media. 

Any medical procedure Jack gets that isn't approved by the Sabres voids his contract. I don't know if it voids their rights to him. This procedure has 70% success rate for "return to sports." But it's not clear if they mean playing golf with your buddies or taking hits at full speed.

So we're talking a 1/3 chance of ending Jack's career. Would you sign off on that if your were GM?

agree about arbitration.

I meant if the Sabres approve the disc replacement surgery, would the insurance company still cover the cost of Eichel’s contract if he could not return to play or was injured playing in the NHL (after the surgery). If it would void the injury insurance then the Pegulas would be on the hook for Eichel’s full contract even if he could never play again. Right now, the contract has injury insurance. If Eichel couldn’t play again the Sabres aren’t on the hook for the money owed.

Im sure if he has the spinal fusion he would still have that injury insurance on his contract. Would he still have it if he has the replacement? (if Buffalo approved the surgery)

As far as letting him have the surgery, I guess it depends on a lot of different things I don’t know the answer to. Do other teams approve of this surgery or are they telling Buffalo they wouldn’t trade for Eichel if he has it? Does it void the medical injury insurance on Eichel’s contract? What is the success rate for “return to sports” for the spinal fusion? Is it 75%? 80? 90? What are the benefits and risks of each? What are the specific reasons the Sabres medical staff doesn’t want him having this surgery? Is the main reason because it hasn’t been done on an NHL player and/or that it would void the injury insurance? I read that there is a small chance that the artificial disc could dislodge and paralyze him. Is that true and if so how high are the odds of it happening? etc etc. 

Seems like the spinal fusion is the safer bet, but it would also mean that Eichel most likely never return to 100% health. I’ve heard people say about 80% (don’t know if that’s true).

So I can honestly see both sides of this argument. But IMO Eichel needs to find a better way to handle this. 

I have a feeling other teams are just as skeptical about this surgery as the Sabres are. Otherwise, if you think Buffalo is just being stupid here, why not trade for Eichel and let him have the surgery?

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

agree about arbitration.

I meant if the Sabres approve the disc replacement surgery, would the insurance company still cover the cost of Eichel’s contract if he could not return to play or was injured playing in the NHL (after the surgery). If it would void the injury insurance then the Pegulas would be on the hook for Eichel’s full contract even if he could never play again. Right now, the contract has injury insurance. If Eichel couldn’t play again the Sabres aren’t on the hook for the money owed.

Im sure if he has the spinal fusion he would still have that injury insurance on his contract. Would he still have it if he has the replacement? (if Buffalo approved the surgery)

As far as letting him have the surgery, I guess it depends on a lot of different things I don’t know the answer to. Do other teams approve of this surgery or are they telling Buffalo they wouldn’t trade for Eichel if he has it? Does it void the medical injury insurance on Eichel’s contract? What is the success rate for “return to sports” for the spinal fusion? Is it 75%? 80? 90? What are the benefits and risks of each? What are the specific reasons the Sabres medical staff doesn’t want him having this surgery? Is the main reason because it hasn’t been done on an NHL player and/or that it would void the injury insurance? I read that there is a small chance that the artificial disc could dislodge and paralyze him. Is that true and if so how high are the odds of it happening? etc etc. 

Seems like the spinal fusion is the safer bet, but it would also mean that Eichel most likely never return to 100% health. I’ve heard people say about 80% (don’t know if that’s true).

So I can honestly see both sides of this argument. But IMO Eichel needs to find a better way to handle this. 

I have a feeling other teams are just as skeptical about this surgery as the Sabres are. Otherwise, if you think Buffalo is just being stupid here, why not trade for Eichel and let him have the surgery?

They've been trying for weeks. But they are asking for a lot, as they should. No serious offers yet. This was meant to shame the team but it's having the opposite effect

• Like (+1) 2

Eichel is poisonous.  Adams and Granato are following the playbook of McDermott and Beane.  Set a philosophy, get players in who want to make hockey their priority, and get rid of guys who don’t buy in.  So Eichel and his agents can sit and beeyatch all they want.  Adams is doing just fine with this.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Former Sabre Evander Kane accused of betting on his own team and throwing games.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31929787/nhl-investigate-allegation-san-jose-sharks-evander-kane-bet-own-games

I just read this in another tweet... 

New York Post

@nypost

·

11m

Evander Kane's pregnant wife says NHL star tanked games for gambling profit, abandoned her https://trib.al/QweIKV6

16 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Former Sabre Evander Kane accused of betting on his own team and throwing games.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31929787/nhl-investigate-allegation-san-jose-sharks-evander-kane-bet-own-games

The 'Charlie Hustle' of the NHL?!

Or maybe it should be 'Charlie Hustler'...🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

In the trial of “Tim Murray was the worst GM in the history of professional team sports” I present exhibit Z.

It certainly looks that way. It’s too bad that Kane and Bogosian had more influence on the young core than Gionta and Jorges. Both have suggested that Eichel was beyond their reach in terms of influence. Sure, part of that is that Eichel is an arrogant A hole of the highest order, but part of it is the bad influence of Kane and Bogo. As a result, guys younger than Eichel had crap for leadership in the form of a crap captain in Eichel. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

It certainly looks that way. It’s too bad that Kane and Bogosian had more influence on the young core than Gionta and Jorges. Both have suggested that Eichel was beyond their reach in terms of influence. Sure, part of that is that Eichel is an arrogant A hole of the highest order, but part of it is the bad influence of Kane and Bogo. As a result, guys younger than Eichel had crap for leadership in the form of a crap captain in Eichel. 

Couldn’t agree more and at this point I think Eichel can be summed up in two words:

Mass.  Hole.

This unmitigated garbage in this weekends stunt press release is just incredible.  Not only do I think if I were the Sabres that I’d call him on his BS, but I think if I were another team…..and an honest broker…..that I’d opt out of trading for him anyway.  There is no way on Earth that his desire for that surgery is real.  It is 100% a ploy and every GM in the league knows it.  No other top athlete has had this surgery…..I think there is one low level tennis player….right?  We are supposed to believe he is going to get the surgery and be ready in 2 months for NHL training camp then take hits as a center all year?  He is basically using BS to circumvent his contract.  If he goes to a team he wants he will magically decide to have a more traditional rehab/surgery, if he goes to an undesirable team….to him….or stays with the Sabres, he will demand the quackery.  What a pile of garbage this ploy is and what an ass he has exposed himself as being.

I'm thinking the team knew the interview with the doctor was coming out, so they got ahead of it with that press conference last week.  Eichel's team was pissed that they got scooped so threw threw together that statement.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I just cant put goaltenders on the same level as QB as they dictate everything on the field and goalies just need to stop shots, which is very important but not to that level. Also its pretty clear from players who have left the team that there is something wrong team wide just not the goalies. We've had great goalies and still haven't won and when we had the french connection i couldn't even tell you who hte goalie was. 

To me the players havent been physical enough around the nets nor aggressive enough getting after the puck. Now we just cant have bangers , we need guys who can be aggressive AND score.

You'll get no argument from me on those points. The team employs a soft perimeter game and doesn't play with any passion or fire. But it starts with goaltending.

Here's a crazy stat from last season that has been getting some mention on the internet and local radio. Last season when Ullmark was in net the team was playing at a ~90 point pace over a full season. Now think about that for a second. After that trainwreck of a season when our best player (Eichel) was hurt, our best stay-at-home defenseman (McCabe) was lost, Hall checking out, the 4th line Skinner controversy, Covid shutting the team down for 2 weeks, and being coached by Ralph Freaking Krueger, the team was on a ~90 point pace with Ullmark. Hard to believe. Now, 90 points won't get you into the playoffs -- but that's what they call a bubble team, not a dumpster fire. Franchise players usually aren't desperately trying to leave town when you have a chance.

The flip side is that when Ullmark wasn't in net, they played at some ridiculously low win rate (worse than tank team point totals IIRC). Remember that 18 game losing streak that cemented us as the laughingstock of the league? It started 1 game before Ullmark was injured, and it ended 2 games after he came back. And I don't even think the guy is a top-10 goalie, probably around #13-15 IMO.

I know FA isn't over and there are deals to be made, but right now our goaltending is actually worse than last year. It's not fair to the new kids coming up, the coach, or the fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This time... This time... This time...

Sooner or later I guess it will be "this time"

Sabres have a good record of destroying "This time" threads though.

Going to take a while with the tank year happening again.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.