Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

This team will be so good in about 4-5 years.

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

That was fantastic. Touching, actually. Miller gets it. Unlike the ungrateful pukes who resented having to play here from day one. 

Ungrateful pukes? They were forced to play for the worst run organization ever assembled... 

Still no confirmed return on Reinhart.

The rumor is Frank Vatrano, Devon Levi (who elliotte Friedman confirmed is part of the return) and a 1st (that may be conditional). 

🤢🤮

Reinhart is RFA though and may be refusing to sign long term with any team. There’s been speculation for a while now that he wants to sign on the west coast to be closer to home.

No excuses for a bad return on Eichel though. He’s under contract 5 more years.

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Ungrateful pukes? They were forced to play for the worst run organization ever assembled... 

I’ll grant you that Tim Murray was the worst GM in the history of professional team sports and that the Sabres haven’t exactly executed well in trying to recover from that.  But they are ungrateful pukes.  Are they entitled to just walk into a room and be handed a Stanley cup and a villa on the beach in some glitzy locale or should they have to work?  

WTF has Reinhardt ever done to be in some sort of position to demand a trade to a specific geographical area?  The Boston raised Eichel is really showing the classic Boston personality lately with the experimental surgical demands that will magically disappear if he is traded to a team desirable to him.  That’s really C material right there.  At least Risto tried hard.  Good luck to him.  

I get that it isn’t all on them….I do.  But mature individuals prefer to be part of a solution.  Jack and Sam are not mature individuals.  

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sabres draft poltapov with the #33 pick. They finally drafted a Russian! 😂

https://thehockeywriters.com/prokhor-poltapov-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

article on Sabres #14 pick from yesterday:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/prospect-interest-isak-rosen-skills-par-marner-kane/sn-amp/

‘Prospect of Interest: Isak Rosen has skills on par with Marner, Kane’

Edit: Kisakov with the 2nd round pick from the Taylor Hall/Boston trade. 

Edited by BillsFan4

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Yes, ungrateful pukes. And I’m not referring strictly to today’s ungrateful pukes, either. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sabres draft poltapov with the #33 pick. They finally drafted a Russian! 😂

https://thehockeywriters.com/prokhor-poltapov-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

article on Sabres #14 pick from yesterday:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/prospect-interest-isak-rosen-skills-par-marner-kane/sn-amp/

‘Prospect of Interest: Isak Rosen has skills on par with Marner, Kane’

Edit: Kisakov with the 2nd round pick from the Taylor Hall/Boston trade. 

And another Russian with their other 2nd round pick! A whole team of Russians!

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

They get a goalie prospect and a first next year for Reinhart.  I guess they finally gave up on Ukka Pooka Sambuca.  

I suspect the delay in confirming the trade was due to Reinhart not signing an extension with Florida. He wants to play out west, either Vancouver or Seattle and he can write his own ticket after the season. Getting a first for a rental is not bad, but I’d have preferred a better player prospect. Weird that Risto, also a rental, fetched more. Oh well.

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Still no confirmed return on Reinhart.

The rumor is Frank Vatrano, Devon Levi (who elliotte Friedman confirmed is part of the return) and a 1st (that may be conditional). 

🤢🤮

Reinhart is RFA though and may be refusing to sign long term with any team. There’s been speculation for a while now that he wants to sign on the west coast to be closer to home.

No excuses for a bad return on Eichel though. He’s under contract 5 more years.

It was worse than the rumored return...

I’m hoping that there are no protections in that 1st round pick. Not that I expect Florida to be bad, but you never know. 

edit - ugh, of course there are...

🤬

Edited by BillsFan4

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

As poor as the return was, it would have been worse if we waited until the deadline next year to deal him; he wouldn’t have fetched a first at that time. Rentals just don’t usually. The market for Reinhart just wasn’t as strong as we biased fans would like to think given his pending UFA status.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

As poor as the return was, it would have been worse if we waited until the deadline next year to deal him; he wouldn’t have fetched a first at that time. Rentals just don’t usually. The market for Reinhart just wasn’t as strong as we biased fans would like to think given his pending UFA status.

We can’t really say what he would’ve went for at the deadline. It would depend on what type of season he had, the deadline rental market + prices, teams in the playoff race, which GMs were desperate, etc etc. It’s not hard to imagine Reinhart fetching a 1st + B prospect though, especially if he improves again this season like he has every previous season. Plus they would have their best goal scorer from last season in the lineup, and someone who can help fill the massive top 6 C void if Eichel is traded. 

Obviously the Sabres brass decided that they wanted Reinhart off the roster before the season started and I hate that they created an internal deadline. 

But I am willing to cut Adams some slack on this one because Reinhart is currently a RFA in need of a contract, 1 year from UFA and we know he’s not willing to sign here long term. Plus the RFA trade market at forward doesn’t seem super strong after seeing Buchnevich go for a 2nd + Blais.

However, Adams shares some blame for Reinhart being 1yr from UFA. He had an opportunity to sign him long term last year.

And if Florida signs him long term pretty quickly, this trade is a big fail IMO.

I’m guessing after what happened this last season is when Reinhart decided he’d be better off going to UFA. I also think Adams wanted him gone.

Where I am NOT willing to cut Adams ANY slack: a Jack Eichel trade.

Any deadline to trade him this offseason was created by the Sabres front office.
I understand the injury rehab/surgery dispute and that Eichel may want out. But I don’t care. They don’t have to trade him. He is a top 5 C in the NHL (when healthy), under contract for 5 more seasons and his NMC doesn’t kick in until after next year’s draft. But even then, if Eichel’s the one who wants out I’d tell him to waive or he can stay put.

The Sabres have to get proper value for Eichel, and for that to happen, IMO, they need to be prepared to call teams bluffs and start the season with Eichel on the roster. I worry that creating another internal deadline on an Eichel trade will end badly (like with ROR).

Let him show he’s healthy. Apparently he’s back to skating + training hard.

Adams needs to play this like Joe Sakic played the Duchene trade. It was a very similar situation. I’d say the Duchene situation was even more contentious. 
He publicly requested a trade after 3 straight years of losing. Said he had checked out (on the ice) from all the losing. That he was only showing up to honor his contract (and get paid). Yet Sakic held firm. He was on the hot seat at the time and took heat for not getting enough for ROR after ROR tore it up in his 1st year in Buffalo. That Duchene trade totally changed everything. And the pieces he got in the trade helped kick start Colorado’s rebuild. Sakic knew how important getting that trade right was for Colorado.

Id say the Eichel trade is even more important For Buffalo. We don’t have a 1C on the roster like Colorado did (Mackinnon). 

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m hoping that there are no protections in that 1st round pick. Not that I expect Florida to be bad, but you never know. 

edit - ugh, of course there are...

🤬

Ok, now I reallllyyyyy hate this trade. I thought maybe he was going to go to UFA. There were rumors he wanted to sign near his home in Vancouver.

sorry but if this happens it’s hard not to feel like this is a fail by a Kevyn Adams. I feel like An experienced GM makes the contract extension part of the trade.

Add Bills Zito to the list of GMs not to make any more trades with. Doug Armstrong is already on there. Lets stick to trading with Chuck Fletcher. 🤣

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

sorry but if this happens it’s hard not to feel like this is a fail by a Kevyn Adams. I feel like An experienced GM makes the contract extension part of the trade.

Add Bills Zito to the list of GMs not to make any more trades with. Doug Armstrong is already on there. Lets stick to trading with Chuck Fletcher. 🤣

Reinhart currently has no contract. So there has to be a signing with Florida, more than likely just for one year. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ok, now I reallllyyyyy hate this trade. I thought maybe he was going to go to UFA. There were rumors he wanted to sign near his home in Vancouver.

Yep. Reinhart signing an extension with Florida changes everything. Adams got raped on this deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If it’s just for one year then I’ll be more ok with the return. 

If he signs a long term deal with Florida it's a huge red flag. I'm talking air-raid siren warning here. It would mean we just handed a division rival a long-term cornerstone piece for rental prices aka pennies on the dollar. It would indicate that Adams misread everyone's hand at the table and is a tacit admission that he doesn't have the experience or chops to pull off a sign-and-trade.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QCity said:

If he signs a long term deal with Florida it's a huge red flag. I'm talking air-raid siren warning here. It would mean we just handed a division rival a long-term cornerstone piece for rental prices aka pennies on the dollar. It would indicate that Adams misread everyone's hand at the table and is a tacit admission that he doesn't have the experience or chops to pull off a sign-and-trade.

Why would Reinhart want to help the Sabres and not the team he is going to? Why would he want to weaken the Florida Panthers if that’s where he ends up long term?

Signing anything long term to help the team he is leaving is foolish on his part.

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

Why would Reinhart want to help the Sabres and not the team he is going to? Why would he want to weaken the Florida Panthers if that’s where he ends up long term?

Signing anything long term to help the team he is leaving is foolish on his part.

Reinhart signing long term, short term, or any term with the Panthers doesn’t do anything to help or hurt the Sabres, regardless, so I’m confused as to the point you’re making here. 

Where we are coming from if Sam does sign for more than a year in Florida is that since he informed the Sabres he was gonna be an UFA after this season, the expectation was that he would be a rental player for whomever he was traded to (excluding his desired teams in the Northwest) and that fact would lower his return as it does all rental players looking towards free agency. 

Sam signing for one year with Florida makes the deal made today more palatable for Sabre fans. A long term deal with Florida makes it almost impossible to accept and really points to Adams getting played. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.