Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its Owen Power time!! It will be nice to draft someone with a strong name after 10 consecutive picks that sound like brands of furniture or hot breakfast cereal.

Did we finally win something? The lottery?

We may need a banner: “NHL Draft Lottery Winner 2019, 2021 Runner Up 2016”

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t even watch the lottery draw. Just saw that Buffalo won. I guess I’m glad they won it but I can’t say that I’m really excited or anything. This feels nothing like when we won the Dahlin draft lottery. There’s no player I’m overly excited about in this draft. It’s nice to have 1st pick of any player we want but I don’t exactly have a ton of faith in this scouting staff to get the pick right, and now it’s just more embarrassing if they miss.

• Agree 2

As a Bills/Isles fan I say congrats to the Sabres and their fans on getting the #1 pick. Hopefully they can turn it around. Everyone knows Buffalo is a great sports market. Even though it is known mostly for being a football mad city with the Bills and Bills Mafia, Buffalo is probably one of the strongest markets in the US for hockey. 

Matty Beniers suffered a nasty looking ankle injury this morning at the IIHF world tourney and I wonder if that makes their choice of who to draft first overall any easier. Tough break for the kid. 

25 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

If it makes the Sabres look the other way, its a great stroke of luck for him

Sad that it’s come to this: players deliberately sustaining serious injury to avoid being drafted by the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Matty Beniers suffered a nasty looking ankle injury this morning at the IIHF world tourney and I wonder if that makes their choice of who to draft first overall any easier. Tough break for the kid. 

Whomever they drafted likely not be on the Sabres next year anyways, sure the injury hurts his status but I wouldn't use it as a reason not to draft the kid. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

If they trade Eichel for a pile of crap that really, truly might be the last straw for me. 

Lol after everything they have done that would be the last straw. 

This team is screwed b.c they will never get good value for Eichel.

not that I put much faith in Jeremy White’s “super secret Sabres source”, but I figured I’d share it anyway.

this has seemed like the most likely outcome all along. I’m ok with it. I stil” would have preferred a veteran coach like Boudreau or Gallant but I’d take Granato over another inexperienced NHL coach (like some of the college coaches they interviewed) or David Quinn (who was also rumored to be in the mix). 

Still holding out hope that they surround Granato with at least 1 experienced coach (my ideal scenario would be someone like Boudreau as an associate head coach), but I’m guessing it’ll probably be guys like Dan Girardi and Matt Ellis, or maybe some other lesser known coach Granato has worked with over the years.

• Like (+1) 2

I almost wonder if Granato is the kind of guy who should be coaching the Amerks.  Sure, he got a lot more out of players by using him in better situations, but I feel like that's more of a strike against Krueger than it is a positive for Granato.  Any good head coach should be able to know to put players in those better, more appropriate situations.  Yes, we know Granato can get more out of these guys, but just how much can he get and how long can it last?  I really want to see a more seasoned NHL head coach behind that bench, especially after the last two hires.  With Granato, I worry that they're setting setting the ceiling a bit too low.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

not that I put much faith in Jeremy White’s “super secret Sabres source”, but I figured I’d share it anyway.

this has seemed like the most likely outcome all along. I’m ok with it. I stil” would have preferred a veteran coach like Boudreau or Gallant but I’d take Granato over another inexperienced NHL coach (like some of the college coaches they interviewed) or David Quinn (who was also rumored to be in the mix). 

Still holding out hope that they surround Granato with at least 1 experienced coach (my ideal scenario would be someone like Boudreau as an associate head coach), but I’m guessing it’ll probably be guys like Dan Girardi and Matt Ellis, or maybe some other lesser known coach Granato has worked with over the years.

Yeah, it will be Granato’s call on his assistant coaches. The front office foisting an “experienced” coach upon him is a recipe for disaster, imo. This just may be Granato’s time to be at the wheel. He’s paid his dues. 

This isn’t going to end well for the Sabres if they’ve convinced themselves that they need to move on from Eichel now, at his lowest value ever, and set some stupid internal deadline to do it.

I know all the extenuating circumstances but I still wish they would just keep Eichel until they get proper value in return. 

Another nail in Eichel's coffin...

This f-ing team is going to trade him, lose the trade, get a little bit worse, and erase an entire season of losing for the sake of getting Jack Eichel.  Around and around we go in circles.

We are right where the Bills were for YEARS with Ralph when he got old.

Until Pegula sells, expect nothing from the Sabres.  Nothing! 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/friedman-i-think-sabres-dont-want-eichel-back-they-want-to-move-on

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This isn’t going to end well for the Sabres if they’ve convinced themselves that they need to move on from Eichel now, at his lowest value ever, and set some stupid internal deadline to do it.

I know all the extenuating circumstances but I still wish they would just keep Eichel until they get proper value in return. 

Regardless, he must be traded before his NMC kicks in next year, so there is a countdown in effect. But there’s no hurry at this particular juncture. Interested teams are gonna need to do their own due diligence on his neck issues before committing that kind of time and money to Eichel, so I don’t see a fast timeline, anyway. 

I can’t blame the Sabres for wanting to get rid of a dishonest malcontent, though. And I’m convinced these off season theatrics were deliberately orchestrated by Eichel and his agent to deliberately slow down the trade process and extend it until that NMC takes effect and they have control over where he ends up playing. 

33 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Regardless, he must be traded before his NMC kicks in next year, so there is a countdown in effect. But there’s no hurry at this particular juncture. Interested teams are gonna need to do their own due diligence on his neck issues before committing that kind of time and money to Eichel, so I don’t see a fast timeline, anyway. 

I can’t blame the Sabres for wanting to get rid of a dishonest malcontent, though. And I’m convinced these off season theatrics were deliberately orchestrated by Eichel and his agent to deliberately slow down the trade process and extend it until that NMC takes effect and they have control over where he ends up playing. 

And wanting to move on does not mean they're going to rush to make it happen.  This isn't the same GM who made the O'Reilly deal and also got other sub-par returns like in the Kane deal.  We really don't have any history to go on for predicting Adams trades.

-Hall deal with the NMC

-Expiring deals at the deadline (Staal, Montour, Johansson)

-Johansson for Staal

Those are all in a completely different ballpark and they give me absolutely no idea of where he might go with Eichel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.