Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep, it’s very sad but not at all surprising. He’s experienced zero team success, there is no turnaround in site, and his career is half over. The injury issue was just the last straw.

I do think there are probably two sides to the injury story. 

I'd really like to know what's going on. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

A player who is 24 his careers half over? 

If he stays healthy he'll play another 10 years in the league at least

He started with the Sabres at like 19 so 5 years feels like half his life already. 

Just disgraceful. Been a Sabres fan all my life, maybe even longer than a Bills fan, but if they get rid of Eichel, Reinhart, and others I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive them. I didn't think there was anything that could stop me from being a Sabres fan, but man, they are really trying to push me right off that cliff.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Just disgraceful. Been a Sabres fan all my life, maybe even longer than a Bills fan, but if they get rid of Eichel, Reinhart, and others I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive them. I didn't think there was anything that could stop me from being a Sabres fan, but man, they are really trying to push me right off that cliff.

They stink with Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittelstast, etc....how much worse could it get without them?

• Agree 1

It would be interesting if the Sabres offered their entire roster plus draft picks to Seattle for Seattle’s draft picks plus their rights in the expansion draft.  

I can’t say I blame Eichel for his attitude but given that he was raised in Boston, part of me wonders if this passive aggressive public airing of grievances is just a douchey Boston thing.  He is the best player on the team and supposed captain.  He basically missed the whole year so I’m not sure he has much to complain about wrt on ice performance.  The injury approach?  Who knows, but he could be 100% correct.

I don’t think it’s very cool that he said everyone sucked except his best friend Sam.  I’m not sure that’s something a captain should really say.  There were certainly more positives than that even if the overall results were awful.

TIM MURRAY is the main root cause for all of this and may be the worst GM in the history of professional sports.

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Same here. If they get a ROR like return for Eichel, that might be the last straw for me.

If they trade Eichel, it better be for a return they just can’t say no to. I want at least 2 really high end players back in the trade. Like the other team’s best young player and best prospect, +.

The rumors they want “the equivalent of 4 first round picks” scares me. I feel like that’s a somewhat silly bar to set. Who gives a F what round a player was drafted in if he’s not playing well. They might think getting the “equivalent of 4 first round picks” will make it easier to sell to the fan base, but it won’t if those 4 players/picks are mediocre. And there’s a lot of mediocre/crappy players picked in the 1st round playing in the NHL.

Like Ryan Strome from NYR for example. He was a 1st round pick (5th overall, 2011) but he’s mediocre. His best season in the NHL was 18g, 59pts.

Or Julien Gauthier (1st round 2016. 4th liner in the NHL).

If those 4 first round pieces look something like:

-Ryan Strome

-Vitali Kravtsov

-Julien Gauthier

-1st round pick

I don’t think any Sabres fans are going to be happy. 

I’d much, much rather have a player like Adam Fox (who was a 3rd round pick that signed in NY as a college free agent and looks like a 1st pair defenseman) and 1 other high end piece (like LaFreniere). Give me quality.

Botterill did similar with ROR. He needed 5 pieces. He went with quantity over quality. I don’t know if He wanted the trade to look lopsided on paper, or what.

And I remember when the trade went down, places like Pro Hockey Talk reported “wow! A 5 for 1 trade! That’s crazy!”. But any knowledgable hockey fan actually looking at those 5 pieces knew immediately the Sabres got totally screwed.

If they trade Eichel I really hope the main value pieces of the trade are A prospects and good NHL players. I have zero interest in draft picks making up any significant value in the trade. Sabres don’t need to rebuild for another 5+ years. They need to start winning now, and you don’t do that by trading a franchise #1 C for draft picks.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

So it is Eichel who wants surgery, and the team doctors want him to wait.

Surgery on the neck/spine is pretty risky. There’s a decent chance it limits him in the future, or puts him at a greater injury risk. That type of surgery usually results in some loss of motion and/or nerve damage + scar tissue.

If Eichel is pushing for surgery so he’s ready for training camp and the Sabres are pushing him to exhaust all rehab options first, even if it means missing time next season, I’m actually surprisingly on the Sabres side here.

I get he’s frustrated, especially if he has a herniated disc that’s likely causing him pain. But I kind of wonder if he’s getting some iffy medical advise here. I’m guessing maybe Eichel went to a (likely good) surgeon, who (surprise!) advised surgery. Maybe he will ultimately need it, but why rush it just to get back a little sooner? I see zero reason to rush into a neck/spine surgery before he’s exhausted all other options first. There’s no risk in waiting + rehabbing vs. much more risk in surgery.

I wish we knew more of the details but I doubt we will get much from Kevyn Adams on Wednesday due to HIPPA laws. 

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

So it is Eichel who wants surgery, and the team doctors want him to wait.

Surgery on the neck/spine is pretty risky. There’s a decent chance it limits him in the future, or puts him at a greater injury risk. That type of surgery usually results in some loss of motion and/or nerve damage + scar tissue.

If Eichel is pushing for surgery so he’s ready for training camp and the Sabres are pushing him to exhaust all rehab options first, even if it means missing time next season, I’m actually surprisingly on the Sabres side here.

I get he’s frustrated, especially if he has a herniated disc that’s likely causing him pain. But I kind of wonder if he’s getting some iffy medical advise here. I’m guessing maybe Eichel went to a (likely good) surgeon, who (surprise!) advised surgery. Maybe he will ultimately need it, but why rush it just to get back a little sooner? I see zero reason to rush into a neck/spine surgery before he’s exhausted all other options first. There’s no risk in waiting + rehabbing vs. much more risk in surgery.

I wish we knew more of the details but I doubt we will get much from Kevyn Adams on Wednesday due to HIPPA laws. 

The more I read about this kind of neck problem, the more I see that 99% of the medical community recommends the rehab approach vs. getting the surgery. The rehab takes longer and would preclude Eichel from doing various rigorous training regimens until the rehab is complete and that could jeopardize his availability at the start of next season. Eichel wants to get back to a rigorous workout schedule ASAP so he can be ready at the start of the season.

I can understand the conflict. But it shouldn’t be a relationship killer, either. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The more I read about this kind of neck problem, the more I see that 99% of the medical community recommends the rehab approach vs. getting the surgery. The rehab takes longer and would preclude Eichel from doing various rigorous training regimens until the rehab is complete and that could jeopardize his availability at the start of next season. Eichel wants to get back to a rigorous workout schedule ASAP so he can be ready at the start of the season.

I can understand the conflict. But it shouldn’t be a relationship killer, either. 

If the Sabres medical team is telling him to play through it and rehab and he does not feel fit to play that could be a relationship killer.  I am guessing he just didn't see a point in going out there hurt for a team that was looking at another lottery pick and a new head coach in the fall.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

If the Sabres medical team is telling him to play through it and rehab and he does not feel fit to play that could be a relationship killer.  I am guessing he just didn't see a point in going out there hurt for a team that was looking at another lottery pick and a new head coach in the fall.

I hadn’t heard the Sabres were telling him to play through it but I agree that could kill the relationship if they demanded that and he said no. Demanding he play goes against their advice to rehab the injury vs. getting surgery because the healing time is much longer. Something doesn’t make sense there. 

Who reported that the Sabres were demanding he play? If it was Paul Hamilton, I refuse to believe it. Anybody else and I’d give it some credence. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I hadn’t heard the Sabres were telling him to play through it but I agree that could kill the relationship if they demanded that and he said no. Demanding he play goes against their advice to rehab the injury vs. getting surgery because the healing time is much longer. Something doesn’t make sense there. 

Who reported that the Sabres were demanding he play? If it was Paul Hamilton, I refuse to believe it. Anybody else and I’d give it some credence. 

No one has reported that as far as I know.  I have not seen any credible details on what exactly the disconnect between Jack and the Sabres was. Did they want him to play or is the disagreement on how to treat the injury?  I assumed when he went AWOL to get second opinions and break Covid protocol that it meant he was no longer interested in the opinions of the Sabres medical staff.

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Paul Hamilton has reported the Pegula's aren't enamored with all the power they handed McBeane.

Paul Hamilton simply is an outsider trying to look in.

There is little to his "substantive" info he is spewing.

11 hours ago, BillsVet said:

False equivalency.  Paul Hamilton has reported the Pegula's aren't enamored with all the power they handed McBeane.  Given their track record, I could see them snatching away control if the opportunity presents itself. 

Today cemented that the Pegula's ownership of the Sabres is pretty much the final years of RW owning the Bills.  They (emphasis Terry and Kim) made multiple bad executive hires, got bad results, and now do in-house hires because they don't know/trust anyone.  Not to mention, they're hiring cronies, cutting costs left and right all the while alienating key players.  They've driven people away from the organization, meddled in personnel decisions, and horrible anytime they're in front of the camera. 

They've taken a proud NHL team and run it into the ground.  But it's the NHL's fault for recommending bad executives.  They are incompetent and it will not change. 

Why wouldn't they be happy giving all the power to Beane and McDermott? How dare they build a championship caliber roster. How dare they build a team that won the AFC East and went to the AFCCG. How dare they build a team that is a serious Super Bowl contender in 2021. I don't know if the Pegula's have a home in WNY but they should be thankful for what Beane and McDermott have done with the Bills. If it wasn't for them then the fans in WNY would storm their place with pitchforks and knives and run them out of town given what they have done to the Sabres.

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I don’t think they’re asking him to play through a herniated disc.

My guess would either be that Eichel is in a lot of pain and just wants it to be better (when you’re in that type of pain, you just want it to be be), and/or he wants a trade and knows it’s not happening while he’s injured.

the ab and rib injuries are another story. I guess he’s an some type of ab injury for 2 years now.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Why wouldn't they be happy giving all the power to Beane and McDermott? How dare they build a championship caliber roster. How dare they build a team that won the AFC East and went to the AFCCG. How dare they build a team that is a serious Super Bowl contender in 2021. I don't know if the Pegula's have a home in WNY but they should be thankful for what Beane and McDermott have done with the Bills. If it wasn't for them then the fans in WNY would storm their place with pitchforks and knives and run them out of town given what they have done to the Sabres.

When teams aren't profitable, owners begin doing strange things and letting their ego(s) get in the way.  They want control like they had in their private business, and allowing someone else to drive is anathema to their mindset.     

The Bills were a major investment that brought with it major revenue sharing.  The Sabres were Terry's toy for a few years until they started losing 40-60M per.  

Besides, how much does fan response matter?  

15 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

When teams aren't profitable, owners begin doing strange things and letting their ego(s) get in the way.  They want control like they had in their private business, and allowing someone else to drive is anathema to their mindset.     

The Bills were a major investment that brought with it major revenue sharing.  The Sabres were Terry's toy for a few years until they started losing 40-60M per.  

Besides, how much does fan response matter?  

I don't disagree with you on this but at some point Terry and Kim need to check the ego's at the door (they probably won't) and bring in a qualified person to run the Sabres. Who that is I have no idea maybe JD would be a good choice. It's what 10 years and no playoffs and things appear to be getting worse. If they are going to cut to payroll given the losses then wouldn't it make sense to have someone brought in who could get the most bang for their buck and maximize whatever payroll  Terry allows. 

Edited by Greg S
correct a word

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

I don't disagree with you on this but at some point Terry and Kim need to check the ego's at the door (they probably won't) and bring in a qualified person to run the Sabres. Who that is I have no idea maybe JD would be a good choice. It's what 10 years and no playoffs and things appear to be getting worse. If they are going to cut to payroll given the losses then wouldn't it make sense to have someone brought in who could get the most bang for their buck and maximize whatever payroll  Terry allows. 

No one's gonna force them to check their egos.  The deeper this goes, the more they'll continue blaming others (Jack, local media, NHL) as the reason for the dysfunction.  They don't trust anyone from outside the organization because the last few GM/HC hires didn't go well.  Which means they draw upon the late RW years Bills playbook and hire only people they know and the circle repeats itself.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.