Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

15 hours ago, K-9 said:

Wow, Barzal benched tonight. First missed game in something like four years. Amazing. 

The Isles, ruining careers one player at a time. 

These games are meaningless to the Isles. They did what they had to do to clinch a playoff spot with B2B shutout wins over the Rangers. They have no shot at home ice so they are probably sitting players to give them a rest.  JP Pageau didn't play Monday probably for the same reason. 

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

These games are meaningless to the Isles. They did what they had to do to clinch a playoff spot with B2B shutout wins over the Rangers. They have no shot at home ice so they are probably sitting players to give them a rest.  JP Pageau didn't play Monday probably for the same reason. 

Oh, no doubt. My post was totally tongue in cheek. 

Rangers fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton in shocking move (nypost.com)

I wonder if the Sabres look to Davidson or Gorton. I don't know why I can't post the link here but the story it is up at the New York Post.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Rangers fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton in shocking move (nypost.com)

I wonder if the Sabres look to Davidson or Gorton. I don't know why I can't post the link here but the story it is up at the New York Post.

The Sabres should be calling Davidson immediately! I don’t see them having interest in Gorton unless it’s an AGM role (which I doubt he’s interested in).

But I can’t think of a more perfect hire than Davidson as team president. It would be a home run hire IMO. But I’d be surprised if he had interest in Buffalo. I’m sure he’ll have plenty of other offers.

really interested to see how Drury does. He’s turned down a number of other GM interviews over the years (including an interview with the Sabres) and even a couple of GM jobs iirc. Curious to see if he’s the next Steve Yzerman (hope not!) or if the hype was unwarranted.

42 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Sabres should be calling Davidson immediately! I don’t see them having interest in Gorton unless it’s an AGM role (which I doubt he’s interested in).

But I can’t think of a more perfect hire than Davidson as team president. It would be a home run hire IMO. But I’d be surprised if he had interest in Buffalo. I’m sure he’ll have plenty of other offers.

Is there room for another assistant GM in addition to Karmanos? 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Is there room for another assistant GM in addition to Karmanos? 

I would obviously say yes. But I think Adams did mention something about adding to the front office staff, so hopefully!

I would be somewhat surprised if Gorton doesn’t get other GM looks though. Vancouver seems like a good potential fit (if they move in from Benning). I’d be all about adding Gorton if he was interested though.

Id be good with Gorton as our GM but I don’t see that happening (and it’s probably unfair to give up on Adams so quickly anyway). He put together a really nice team quickly in NY. But he also had the advantage of the NYC draw. Seems like every free agent wants to play in MSG.

Edited by BillsFan4

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why? Davidson is a fairly mediocre exec.

I mean, he’s not Tod Lieweke or Brendan Shanahan. But he’s better than our current team president, by a mile. I think he’s done a pretty good job with every team he’s been with.

The Blues was a “learning on the job” team, but they steadily improved during his time there and they have been a consistent winner ever since. A lot of the guys he helped draft eventually helped STL win a Cup.

Columbus was a rudderless team before he came on board (very similar to Buffalo) with 1 playoff appearances in their entire history and they made the playoffs 4x in his 7yrs there and were steadily improving before he left (and before this season).

They had 5 of their best ever seasons under Davidson and were the 9th best team in the league (by wins) during his tenure (and 4th in wins during his last 3 years there). 

and the NYR have blown by the Sabres rebuild in 1/3 of the time.

Hes helped put together some very strong NHL front offices and scouting staffs.

He’s a well respected front office exec and would bring instant respectability to Buffalo’s front office (something they desperately need IMO). He hasn’t been out of work for more than 3 weeks as a team president.

He’s also a good person, so I think he would fit the “culture” requirements of the Pegulas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Living in NJ I can tell everyone that Rangers fans are upset about these firings. They thought both JD and Jeff Gorton were doing a good job with the rebuild. The Sabres should look to speak with both of them unless the Pegula's are happy with their current FO.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I mean, he’s not Tod Lieweke or Brendan Shanahan. But he’s better than our current team president, by a mile. I think he’s done a pretty good job with every team he’s been with.

The Blues was a “learning on the job” team, but they steadily improved during his time there and they have been a consistent winner ever since. A lot of the guys he helped draft eventually helped STL win a Cup.

Columbus was a rudderless team before he came on board (very similar to Buffalo) with 1 playoff appearances in their entire history and they made the playoffs 4x in his 7yrs there and were steadily improving before he left (and before this season).

They had 5 of their best ever seasons under Davidson and were the 9th best team in the league (by wins) during his tenure (and 4th in wins during his last 3 years there). 

He’s a well respected front office exec and would bring instant respectability to Buffalo’s front office (something they desperately need IMO). He hasn’t been out of work for more than 3 weeks as a team president.

He’s also a good person, so I think he would fit the “culture” requirements of the Pegulas.

absolutely yes to all this.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The same ol' "we're the worst so someone bad is better than what we got" argument? There are dozens of better options than him.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:01 PM, TBBills said:

The Sabres ruining careers one player at a time

Orrrr, Skinner actually sucks.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The same ol' "we're the worst so someone bad is better than what we got" argument? There are dozens of better options than him.

Orrrr, Skinner actually sucks.

Like who?

IMO There aren’t even dozens of currently employed team presidents that are better than him, let alone dozens that are available (at least that I know of). I’d rank him in the top 10 as far as team presidents go.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:NHL_team_presidents

There are about 6-7 guys definitely ahead of him, and then IMO he’s in the conversation with a few guys for who would come next.

He rebuild STL front office and scouting staff and the team has been a perennial contender ever since his time there.

He completely rebuild Columbus’s front office, scouting staff and team from league joke to one of the more well respected front offices and scouting staffs in the NHL.

(exactly what needs to happen in Buffalo)

Both STL and COL consistently improved during his time there and he left with both teams having winning records.

He also did a pretty great job in NY.

I don’t get what’s so unattractive about him?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.