Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

Best game in a long, long time. A solid win agains the hottest team in hockey coming in. We were simply the faster, tougher team all night. I can accept not being as talented, but I can’t tolerate lack of effort and this team has done a complete 180 on the effort scale since the coaching change and getting rid of vets that didn’t give a crap. Now, sit Eakin for Caggiula, get Borgen back in for Irwin and let’s enjoy the last 13 games of the season. 

Oh, and a tip of the hat to Tokarski with his first win in 6 years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I have only been watching the box scores.

The box scores look better

The team is playing much better under Granato.

Last night was probably their best game of the year.

For whatever reason, the Caps came out flat and had an off night, but we still played really well.

Something that can't be argued, also, is that team motivation is way higher now than under Krueger. 

By my count, there has only been 1 game where the team looked disinterested under Granato.

Coming out ready to play and stringing competitive periods together is now more the norm.

Krueger is probably the worst HC in franchise history.

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The team is playing much better under Granato.

Last night was probably their best game of the year.

For whatever reason, the Caps came out flat and had an off night, but we still played really well.

Something that can't be argued, also, is that team motivation is way higher now than under Krueger. 

By my count, there has only been 1 game where the team looked disinterested under Granato.

Coming out ready to play and stringing competitive periods together is now more the norm.

Krueger is probably the worst HC in franchise history.

I would expect team motivation to be higher any time a coaching change is made.  With an interim coach, another reshuffling of the FO, and a yet another rebuild looming everyone is playing for their job or auditioning for new teams.  A lot of young guys are getting their chance to log serious minutes.  Its fun to watch.  I am not sure Granato is some master motivator but it looks like the players are having a lot more fun in the current system.

The main difference has been that players are moving their feet for 60 minutes, which is something they simply weren’t in shape to do previously. No wonder, since Krueger didn’t conduct any conditioning skates at all and Granato said it would take a couple weeks when he took over because the players weren’t in shape. Inexcusable.

Regarding the Caps coming out flat, that may be the case for the first 10 minutes last night, but they found their legs in the second half of the first period, punched us in the mouth ... and then we punched back. Every time the Caps punched, we countered. Why? Because we kept moving our feet and pressing the matter. What a concept! 

The Cozens line flat out line dominated. And they faced the Caps top two lines all night. I saw some analytics that illustrated that total dominance, too. I can’t remember whose Twitter feed it was, though. But it’s out there. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/2525143/2021/04/16/don-granato-has-breathed-life-into-the-sabres-this-season-but-is-he-the-right-coach-for-their-future/
(athletic sub. req.)

Oh, it’s been fun, all right. The players have enjoyed success. They’ve loved playing hockey rather than a system. They’ve appreciated being trusted.

“Our confidence raises every game,” said blossoming defenseman Rasmus Dahlin. “We all believe in each other.”

Not that anyone needs reminding, but the Sabres were a miserable disaster with overmatched coach Ralph Krueger. And they knew they were a miserable disaster. When general manager Kevyn Adams finally fired Krueger on March 17, any replacement was guaranteed to be the Sabres’ best coach of the season.

But who could have guessed Granato would also be a better motivator than the world-traveling paid spokesman who wrote a book on leadership?

“I asked them: Do you need to win to be confident? Are you only going to be confident because you just won?” Granato said. “You have to believe before things happen, not after. We don’t need wins to be confident. Be confident before you win.”

That quote is the exact opposite of what Buffalo heard day after day from Krueger. He said the team was losing because it wasn’t confident.

In fact, almost everything Granato says and does is contrary to Krueger.

good read. I’m liking Granato more and more with every game and interview.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/2525143/2021/04/16/don-granato-has-breathed-life-into-the-sabres-this-season-but-is-he-the-right-coach-for-their-future/
(athletic sub. req.)

good read. I’m liking Granato more and more with every game and interview.

You can tell just by listening to his post game presser's and when Granato appears on WGR that his actual hockey knowledge is night and day from Kruegar's.  Kruegar was just a walking book full of cliche's 

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Don't be fooled by a few effort games. It was bound to happen when you are coming from below rock bottom. When you are hiring a coach you need to think about the long haul would this guy be able to motivate for an entire season and offseason.

They are missing their best forward, best dman and best goalie. Most teams would struggle, which they haven’t been.  They are finally playing an entertaining brand of hockey.  Just bring in a couple of plugs that will hit and fight and this team might be something. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, inkman said:

They are missing their best forward, best dman and best goalie. Most teams would struggle, which they haven’t been.  They are finally playing an entertaining brand of hockey.  Just bring in a couple of plugs that will hit and fight and this team might be something. 

And ditch Skinner

Casey Mittelstadt looks like an NHL player.  I had written him off entirely but he is impressing me.  Asplund, and Ruotsalainen have been highly productive in their limited opportunities.  Tage is contributing.  Cozens is playing with a lot of confidence.  Its a lot more fun watching the young guys play.  I do not miss watching Staal move refrigerators up and down the ice while Hall ran around like a headless chicken.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.