Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

55 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/2513045/2021/04/12/nhl-trade-grades-bruins-win-taylor-hall-sweepstakes-and-give-up-alarmingly-little/
‘NHL trade grades: Bruins win Taylor Hall sweepstakes and give up alarmingly little‘

A trade analysis made in a total vacuum by someone whom I’m willing to bet hasn’t watched much of Hall this season. He is a shadow of his former self. Good riddance. 

There are rumors going around that apparently Hall blocked a trade to a couple teams. 

Isles are one of the rumored teams (apparently they were ready to offer a similar package to the 1 they sent to NJ) and another unnamed wild card team (some saying it might’ve been the Blues).

I haven't posted in awhile. I know most don't want to believe it. I think this current run and the way they have been playing since the losing streak is more the real team. For some reason many seem to ignore the Covid situation but IMO it did a lot to th team. I think the after affects from it hurt a lot of players and with Ullmark out didn't help. The only good that came of it was firing Krueger. 

Since the losing streak ended they have played quite well. It's unfortunate many here only look at box scores. 

15 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I haven't posted in awhile. I know most don't want to believe it. I think this current run and the way they have been playing since the losing streak is more the real team. For some reason many seem to ignore the Covid situation but IMO it did a lot to th team. I think the after affects from it hurt a lot of players and with Ullmark out didn't help. The only good that came of it was firing Krueger. 

Since the losing streak ended they have played quite well. It's unfortunate many here only look at box scores. 

Can't use Covid as an excuse. The team is just garbage.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Can't use Covid as an excuse. The team is just garbage.

This is why I stopped posting for awhile here. Too many box score Warriors. Bet most of you just look at the final score. 

I don't think they are garbage at all. I think they are a .500 team. I think the after affects from the guys getting Covid took a lot out of them. In the losing streak by the 3rd period many guys were out of gas. You probably never noticed as you just looked at the box score and never watched. 

• Disagree 1

55 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

This is why I stopped posting for awhile here. Too many box score Warriors. Bet most of you just look at the final score. 

I don't think they are garbage at all. I think they are a .500 team. I think the after affects from the guys getting Covid took a lot out of them. In the losing streak by the 3rd period many guys were out of gas. You probably never noticed as you just looked at the box score and never watched. 

You keep saying box score but don't actually talk about the team. They were not good even before Covid they were still below average in all scoring metrics at that time. Covid only affected them it seems... No excuse. Even across all sports Covid affected 1 hockey team... No they had a horrible GM and HC. They have a bad team full of players and no leadership.

Edited by TBBills

This whole situation with the Canucks is crazy. 

The Vancouver Canucks will hit the ice for practice Thursday morning and again for a pregame skate Friday.

Friday night, they’ll host the Edmonton Oilers. And the very next day — with less than a 24-hour turnaround to accommodate the broadcast schedule — they’ll play the Toronto Maple Leafs. They’ll then proceed to play five games in seven days.

Talk about a rude “welcome back” from the NHL. Not to mention the baffling acquiescence of the NHLPA.

What remains of this ill-fated Canucks season will be played, and played in full. It just won’t be pretty, it won’t prioritize the gradual, humane recovery of the players and staff involved, and it probably won’t be remotely entertaining from a fan’s perspective.

Nonetheless, the show will go on. The Canucks will return and face six sets of back-to-back games down the stretch, opening with a five in seven and nine in 14. On the heels of a COVID-19 outbreak that ran through a majority of the club’s players and coaching staff, infecting 25 members of the organization in total — some of whom got very ill, some of whom continue to feel ill effects and many of whom passed the illness along to their family members — the club will be tasked with playing 19 games in 31 days with only the narrowest hope of qualifying for the Stanley Cup playoffs. (continued in link)

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This whole situation with the Canucks is crazy. 

The NHL is a joke and should be sued for dereliction of duty when it comes to player safety. It’s more important to prevent any forfeiture of TV revenue in this compacted season than it is to prevent risk to players. We saw that with how they handled the Devils/Sabres game early on which led directly to our two week pause and subsequent consequences.

I’m surprised the NHLPA hasn’t raised a stink with the league yet. To go from 10 days of quarantine to one practice and a pregame skate to playing the Oilers and Leafs immediately as part of a 5 games in 7 days grind is ludicrous. Not to mention grossly unfair. 

• Like (+1) 2

5-2 Buffalo! 

Man, that was such a fun game to watch. It honestly reminded me of when the Sabres used to be a good/fun team to watch!

They were constantly crashing the net and creating traffic + legitimate scoring chances. Attacking the Caps all night. Actually winning puck/board battles. Back checking hard. Super active sticks. Just an overall good, exciting brand of hockey.

Im starting to like Donny Granato more by the day. I’m still not ready to say he should get the full time gig. But he (and Ellis + Girardi) are doing great things. 
Literally every young player is playing night&day better. Mittelstadt looks like he’s really coming into his own. Dahlin looks like Dahlin again. Joker looks great. Asplund. Bryson.

They just need to bench Irwin and call up Samuelsson or another young guy.

Also, I was way too quick to complain about that Bjork trade. He’s really impressed me. I’ll gladly eat crow if he keeps playing like this!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.