Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

14 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I get that, but this has to be less than fun.  It's been an embarrassing endeavor for 10 years.

There is a happy medium between feeling involved and choosing your nhl coaches over your gm's head and funding his wife's Senate campaign.

I remember he was in on bills stuff and the search for qbs.  Give him a stopwatch and throw him in a corner.  

I echo your sentiments. The Pegulas are presiding over a franchise that is in a disarray. It's not only the worst team in the league but it has become irrelevant to the  sport. It's bad enough that the Sabres are an irrelevant franchise but it has descended to the point of being an invisible NHL franchise that isn't even part of the hockey discussion other than about their dysfunction.  How's that for an accomplishment! Simply because they are the owners they have the right to run the operation they want to do. And because of the amateurish manner in which they have exercised their authority they can't hide from the carnage they created that is going to take years to resuscitate, assuming that the owners learn to reach a minimum level competency. This on them. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's possible that it's just no fun for a self-made billionaire to be hands-off.   Not talking about a guy who inherited his money.       

I can appreciate that. I’d want to be involved too, why else buy the team? 

I would just channel that into surrounding myself with the best hockey people who I trust to make personnel decisions. I definitely wouldn’t be interjecting my unqualified gut feeling on Russian players or leading a coaching search. Then again, none of us need to be reminded that they own the team and can rightly do whatever they want. It’s just a shame this once great fanbase has to suffer through it. 

I’m so thankful for McD and Beane. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Lots of good Sabres related talk here:

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/crossroads-with-kaleb-dahlgren/

Some interesting Bills/Sabres related info right around 13mins in.

Friedman says that it’s believed Beane & McDermott came to some sort of written agreement with the Pegulas on exactly what they’re allowed to do and it prohibits the Pegulas from interfering too much. But with the Sabres there’s never been that type of agreement.

worth a listen. 

some terrifying scouting talk info around 19mins.

They're saying the Sabres might be scouting 90% by video.

90%!! 😯

ans they’re not even scouting entire countries like Finland and Russia, or entire leagues in juniors. Crazy.

edit - here’s part of what I was talking about:

You would think the Pegula's would be smart enough to look at what the Bills and Sabres have done and realize its in their best interests to GTFO of the way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/19/2021 at 7:43 PM, May Day 10 said:

I get that, but this has to be less than fun.  It's been an embarrassing endeavor for 10 years.

There is a happy medium between feeling involved and choosing your nhl coaches over your gm's head and funding his wife's Senate campaign.

I remember he was in on bills stuff and the search for qbs.  Give him a stopwatch and throw him in a corner.  

Terry did fall in love with Mahommes. Maybe he should be a scout? LOL

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Skinner could have had a hat trick tonight.  Highway robbery on two of his chances but still buried one.  Beautiful goal by Cozens.  Baby steps to a win in regulation.

And my aunt could be my uncle.  Krueger, Granato, Scotty Bowman......whoever the coach may be, Skinner is simply not good at hockey.  He had a +/- of 0 last night which, if I’m not mistaken, ties his best for the season.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

And my aunt could be my uncle.  Krueger, Granato, Scotty Bowman......whoever the coach may be, Skinner is simply not good at hockey.  He had a +/- of 0 last night which, if I’m not mistaken, ties his best for the season.

Are you arguing he didn't almost net two more except for spectacular saves by the goalie?  Strange hill to die on but you do you.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

You would think the Pegula's would be smart enough to look at what the Bills and Sabres have done and realize its in their best interests to GTFO of the way.

Apparently, according to what a couple posters here have said, Paul Hamilton said a couple weeks ago that the Pegulas actually regret giving up so much power to Beane & McDermott.

terrifying, if true.

• Agree 1

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Apparently, according to what a couple posters here have said, Paul Hamilton said a couple weeks ago that the Pegulas actually regret giving up so much power to Beane & McDermott.

terrifying, if true.

They are the owners. At the end of the day they could fire Beane and McDermott if they wanted to so they will always have control. Obviously that is not going to happen since the team is doing very well. They should be happy with Beane and McDermott and try to find the right people to do the same for the Sabres. If I were the owner I would want to win. I would want qualified people making decisions who could help the teams win. Winning sells tickets and winning helps the Pegula's make money with their teams. Seems like an easy decision to me.

• Like (+1) 1

Id be a lot more excited about this if it were the 2022 or 2023 draft classes.

This draft looks terrible. I’m not even sure there’s really even a defined #1 pick or even top 3 in this draft (so watch the Sabres win the #1 pick), but at least it increases the Sabres odds at winning #1 overall when they inevitably suck again in the future (especially if they trade Eichel). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This draft looks terrible. I’m not even sure there’s really even a defined #1 pick or even top 3 in this draft (so watch the Sabres win the #1 pick), but at least it increases the Sabres odds at winning #1 overall when they inevitably suck again in the future (especially if they trade Eichel). 

Luckily who ever we draft this year likely won't even make an impact until 2024 giving us two or three more drafts in prime bottom feeding lottery position.  

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

terrifying, if true.

I generally like Paul Hamilton...but I just have to ask, how would he know this?  How would anyone know this, unless one of the owners was going around saying this.  

I am not going to defend the Pegulas handling of the two teams, they have made plenty of errors...but I think sometimes people read a lot into things, trying to make sense of things, and then run with them as fact.  Unless the Bills were hemorrhaging money (like the Sabres most likely are) why would they regret giving so much power to Beane and McDermott?   

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes, I looked at the list of top prospects and most of them are defenseman. Might be a great year to flip that pick for a proven NHL player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Are you arguing he didn't almost net two more except for spectacular saves by the goalie?  Strange hill to die on but you do you.

I’m arguing that he is a bad hockey player who cares only about scoring goals.  And that is exactly what he is.  He has exactly zero net positive +/- ratios in his entire career and he is not going to be part of turning the organization around in a positive way.  Krueger certainly had faults, but he had the right idea with Skinner.  

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m arguing that he is a bad hockey player who cares only about scoring goals.  And that is exactly what he is.  He has exactly zero net positive +/- ratios in his entire career and he is not going to be part of turning the organization around in a positive way.  Krueger certainly had faults, but he had the right idea with Skinner.  

I don't see why any mention of Skinner necessitates this crusade.

Skinner has just as many positive +/- seasons as Eichel for whatever that's worth.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.