Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

24 minutes ago, Beast said:

Right?

I mean, Eichel, Reinhart and Risto are all around 25 years old right now. We TRIED to build around them. How much longer do we keep trying until they have absolutely no value in a trade?

I love Eichel and Reinhart. I don’t want to see them go. But it hasn’t worked. We changed coaches and GMs several times. I don’t know what else to do

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I love Eichel and Reinhart. I don’t want to see them go. But it hasn’t worked. We changed coaches and GMs several times. I don’t know what else to do

Therein lies the problem.  Bylsma, Housley, Krueger. How many coaches can you go through until, just maybe, the responsibility lies at the feet of the players?

IMO, this is the most talented Sabres team I've seen since the Briere and Drury days.....but it isn't working. There is no jam at all with these guys as a group.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Therein lies the problem.  Bylsma, Housley, Krueger. How many coaches can you go through until, just maybe, the responsibility lies at the feet of the players?

IMO, this is the most talented Sabres team I've seen since the Briere and Drury days.....but it isn't working. Their is no jam at all with these guys as a group.

I agree 100%. There’s no way a group this talented should be this bad. Kruegers absolute refusal to play Skinner with Eichel is just weird. Eichel, Hall, Skinner, and Okposo make the most money on the team and they have 3 goals between them. Something is wrong 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I agree 100%. There’s no way a group this talented should be this bad. Kruegers absolute refusal to play Skinner with Eichel is just weird. Eichel, Hall, Skinner, and Okposo make the most money on the team and they have 3 goals between them. Something is wrong 

Yeah. Krueger sucks. Probably the worst coach since Rolston. But these players are also a problem. Individuals. No leaders. No cohesion. Nothing.

Edited by Beast

20 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah. Krueger sucks. Probably the worst coach since Rolston. But these players are also a problem. Individuals. No leaders. No cohesion. Nothing.

It’s a mess. The players are underperforming. I don’t know what the answer is. Eichel has completely checked out. Not sure if another coaching change will help matters at this point

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Skinner isn’t actually that good at hockey and rewarding him by putting him on with Eichel would be the wrong move.  He’s a one trick pony who had one good stat season which was an illusion to his overall career.  Botts rewarded him with a ridiculous contract, but I don’t really blame Botts.  The numbers forced his hand and the whole row of dominoes was set up by the worst GM in the history of team sports, Tim Murray.  Murray was so incredibly inept that he doomed the team for a decade with a mix of squandered resources, bad players and bad contracts.  I feel bad criticizing Okposo because he seems to be a great guy, but giving him that contract is like signing Josh Rosen to a 7 read $185M deal.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:37 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Well, stick a fork in this season...

Ullmark is out for at least a month. I don’t see any way they can overcome that loss.

Hutton as their starter for an entire month... 😬yikes!

JJ and Tokarski are no better. JJ’s hardly an AHL caliber goalie.

Really happy to see Risto back though! Hopefully he doesn’t suffer any PASC related setbacks. 

But Ukka Pookah Sambuca is going to be ready right after Seattle wins their second cup.

Also, although I hate to say it, there aren’t many explanations for Eichel’s play.  Playing injured, booze/substance, and women make up the entire list.  Garden variety checking out does not look like this.

Edited by 4merper4mer

You can keep burning through coaches if you want, go ahead and fire Kruger and bring in Julien or whatever other guy that got fired that you want.  But the problems with this team are obvious, and can be summed up in one word:

Eichel

He is getting paid to be a superstar and plays, at best, as an average NHL player.  He is being paid to be the captain and the leader, and is as far from a leader as you can get.  The goal yesterday where he lets the guy waltz right down to the front of the net to score, and then blames Dahlin, is a prime example of his nonsense.

And when your supposed leader does this, then it infects the entire team.

Get rid of the infection.  Trade Eichel and let him poison another franchise.  Get guys back that actually want to put forth some effort, go into the corners and hit guys, that want to actually earn their money when on the ice. Dahlin looks like he cares; give him the C on his jersey.  Or give it to Staal, a guy who understands what Cup winners need.

So far Eichel has burned through a former Stanley Cup winner in Bylsma, a guy that wanted to coach an attacking style in Housley, and now a guy that preaches process and accountability in Kruger.  And all three coaches can't get him going?   Please.

When Kruger was hired and then when Adams got lifted to GM, I saw the Sabres trying to do what worked for the Bills:  a coach and GM with a process they felt would lead to success, and who would work in tandem to get players would would match and align in that system.  Yes, some will say that their process is flawed, and that they need a coach and GM that match their system to the players.  But again, three coaches have tried to do that with a lot of the players on this roster, and none have succeeded?  That tells me it's the players and not the systems.  And the player most guilty is Eichel.  

• Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You can keep burning through coaches if you want, go ahead and fire Kruger and bring in Julien or whatever other guy that got fired that you want.  But the problems with this team are obvious, and can be summed up in one word:

Eichel

He is getting paid to be a superstar and plays, at best, as an average NHL player.  He is being paid to be the captain and the leader, and is as far from a leader as you can get.  The goal yesterday where he lets the guy waltz right down to the front of the net to score, and then blames Dahlin, is a prime example of his nonsense.

And when your supposed leader does this, then it infects the entire team.

Get rid of the infection.  Trade Eichel and let him poison another franchise.  Get guys back that actually want to put forth some effort, go into the corners and hit guys, that want to actually earn their money when on the ice. Dahlin looks like he cares; give him the C on his jersey.  Or give it to Staal, a guy who understands what Cup winners need.

So far Eichel has burned through a former Stanley Cup winner in Bylsma, a guy that wanted to coach an attacking style in Housley, and now a guy that preaches process and accountability in Kruger.  And all three coaches can't get him going?   Please.

When Kruger was hired and then when Adams got lifted to GM, I saw the Sabres trying to do what worked for the Bills:  a coach and GM with a process they felt would lead to success, and who would work in tandem to get players would would match and align in that system.  Yes, some will say that their process is flawed, and that they need a coach and GM that match their system to the players.  But again, three coaches have tried to do that with a lot of the players on this roster, and none have succeeded?  That tells me it's the players and not the systems.  And the player most guilty is Eichel.  

If we’re just talking about this season, then I agree with a lot of what you just said. He’s been extremely average this season and that’s probably being nice. But this isn’t the same Eichel we’ve seen in the past. Last season he was a top 7 or 8 forward in the league. He had been on the rise his entire career. Last year he seemingly reached his full potential. I do think it might be a time for a change of location, but I’m not putting this all on him. There’s a losing culture in Buffalo from the very top down. The organization is just ran like *****. I think it’s finally caught up to Jack and you’re seeing it in his play

6 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

If we’re just talking about this season, then I agree with a lot of what you just said. He’s been extremely average this season and that’s probably being nice. But this isn’t the same Eichel we’ve seen in the past. Last season he was a top 7 or 8 forward in the league. He had been on the rise his entire career. Last year he seemingly reached his full potential. I do think it might be a time for a change of location, but I’m not putting this all on him. There’s a losing culture in Buffalo from the very top down. The organization is just ran like *****. I think it’s finally caught up to Jack and you’re seeing it in his play

It's strange how the Pegula's got it right with the Bills but continue to strike out with the Sabres. The Sabres need a Lou Lamoriello type to come in and take charge of the franchise. Look at what Lou has done for the Isles. For the longest time they were a joke but with Lou and Barry Trotz they have turned it around. The Sabres desperately need that type of change at the management level. You don't even need to look at the Isles just look at the Bills with Beane and McDermott leading the way.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Some good points here.  My view is that leaders lead.  And he is not that.  

25 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It's strange how the Pegula's got it right with the Bills but continue to strike out with the Sabres. The Sabres need a Lou Lamoriello type to come in and take charge of the franchise. Look at what Lou has done for the Isles. For the longest time they were a joke but with Lou and Barry Trotz they have turned it around. The Sabres desperately need that type of change at the management level. You don't even need to look at the Isles just look at the Bills with Beane and McDermott leading the way.

The difference is night and day. I feel like they got very lucky with Beane and McDermott 

21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Some good points here.  My view is that leaders lead.  And he is not that.  

Yeah it’s pretty evident this season. He doesn’t want to be here. It’s sad because he really can be a top forward in the league. 

Edited by Brennan Huff

4 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

The difference is night and day. I feel like they got very lucky with Beane and McDermott 

Yeah it’s pretty evident this season. He doesn’t want to be here. It’s sad because he really can be a top forward in the league. 

Good dialog.  I don’t think they got lucky with McD and Beane.  McD was on the short list of coordinators ready to take the next step.  They looked at several guys and bought into his idea of bringing a process to building a consistent winner, and that having a GM in concert with the HC was essential.

I think they approached the Sabres in a similar way.  Kruger is a guy who very much believes in process and a system that should produce winning hockey.  And after his first year they brought Adams on as a GM in concert with the HC.  Is it working right now?  No.  Is that because they might have to get rid of some players who don’t want to buy in and get guys that will?  Probably so.  

Every coach and GM will have their philosophy of how to build of course.  But some of these players have now been through 3 different coach/GM combos with no real on ice difference.  They need to look in the mirror.

• Like (+1) 1

You guys need to listen to this rant. It’s a bit lengthy but it’s absolutely perfect. I wish somebody, anybody from the organization had this passion 

https://www.radio.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/03-01-sean-rants-about-the-sabres-jeremy-has-a-passionate-response-358188316?fbclid=IwAR0zjFFeYAwuu0e9tp78PU5fl3KlFn-HaeY10vKhjRcp5SuroAHKLqiGZII

7 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

You guys need to listen to this rant. It’s a bit lengthy but it’s absolutely perfect. I wish somebody, anybody from the organization had this passion 

https://www.radio.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/03-01-sean-rants-about-the-sabres-jeremy-has-a-passionate-response-358188316?fbclid=IwAR0zjFFeYAwuu0e9tp78PU5fl3KlFn-HaeY10vKhjRcp5SuroAHKLqiGZII

That guy is basing his premise on Skinner being some sort of a savior and that is flat out wrong.  It undermines the rest of his rant.  Skinner is a one trick pony and not a very good player at all.

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

That guy is basing his premise on Skinner being some sort of a savior and that is flat out wrong.  It undermines the rest of his rant.  Skinner is a one trick pony and not a very good player at all.

I definitely disagree. He was saying that Skinner should absolutely be getting playing time over Eakin and Okposo. They’ve done nothing. Okposo got 16 mins of ice time versus Skinner’s 6

21 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I definitely disagree. He was saying that Skinner should absolutely be getting playing time over Eakin and Okposo. They’ve done nothing. Okposo got 16 mins of ice time versus Skinner’s 6

Skinner has produced exactly zero AND insists on playing selfishly from what I can see.  He has pretty much been that way his whole career.  

Okposo is a player way past his prime on a bad contract who stinks at this point but gives effort.  There would be no difference in the W/L columns by playing Skinner and the rant guy would find some other way to blame Krueger at that point.  Rant guy coached hockey “at a high level” so clearly they should fire Krueger and hire him.  He’s a clueless caller to a radio show.  He’ll solve it all with Skinner.

The Sabres clearly have issues.  The coach may or may not be one of them but Skinner is not a solution unless he changes.  Personally I think Eichel is boozing or has something else serious going on.  I would not be surprised if he checks into a rehab at some point over the next few months.  Pulling an O’Reilly is one thing, but yelling at Dahlin after Eichel himself screwed up is indicative of something worse.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He is getting paid to be a superstar and plays, at best, as an average NHL player.  He is being paid to be the captain and the leader, and is as far from a leader as you can get.

Therein lies the problem with the Sabres compared to the Bills.

On this current roster, there is not one player that is remotely considered a leader. Not one.

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Skinner has produced exactly zero AND insists on playing selfishly from what I can see.  He has pretty much been that way his whole career.  

Okposo is a player way past his prime on a bad contract who stinks at this point but gives effort.  There would be no difference in the W/L columns by playing Skinner and the rant guy would find some other way to blame Krueger at that point.  Rant guy coached hockey “at a high level” so clearly they should fire Krueger and hire him.  He’s a clueless caller to a radio show.  He’ll solve it all with Skinner.

The Sabres clearly have issues.  The coach may or may not be one of them but Skinner is not a solution unless he changes.  Personally I think Eichel is boozing or has something else serious going on.  I would not be surprised if he checks into a rehab at some point over the next few months.  Pulling an O’Reilly is one thing, but yelling at Dahlin after Eichel himself screwed up is indicative of something worse.

Skinner was literally 20 seconds of the entire 15 minute clip. He’s not being used the best way he should be. That’s basically all he said. And he brought up his goal scoring totals of the last seasons

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.