Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

Assuming our schedule doesn't change any more before we start playing again next Monday, we have 7 games in 11 nights!  

And it's really not going to slow down a ton after that. 

With our win % of .500, we may be out of a playoff spot (for good) in the next 2 weeks. 

• Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

I wonder how many people would care if the Sabres packed up and moved? I mean, I wouldn't like it but I also know this team is straight up garbage. I now watch out of some kind of stupid loyalty. It certainly isn't entertaining.

It wasn't that long ago the Bills were in the same boat. The Pegula's need to find the hockey version of Beane and McDermott.  The Bills are the perfect example as to what can happen when you have the right people in charge. If the Pegula's can find that for the Sabres then they will become a good team again.

• Like (+1) 2

I would definitely care if they moved the Sabres. As much as I hate what they’ve become, I am still a die hard sabres fan. I still attend more Sabres games than Bills games (well, not this season...). I would be devastated if they left.

I’m almost positive that Tom Golisano put a clause in the sale contract that the team could not be moved, anyway.

Screw that moving ****. If the Pegulas don’t think they can get it right then they should sell the damn team. The Sabres belong to Buffalo.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

Couldn’t even buy a shot in the third. How far I had to scroll down for this thread says plenty about the mood surrounding the team.

Yep. I used to be active in this thread all the time and was active on another hockey message board. Not so much anymore.

I know the team has been through a lot in the last couple weeks and they were missing a bunch of players, but still... not to muster even a single shot on net in the 3rd period when you’re down by 2 goals? That is unacceptable, especially with all the talent they have on offense.

I don’t want to hear any BS from the players about how bad they want to win/make the playoffs until they actually start showing it on the ice. And that includes Eichel (who really hasn’t been anything special so far this season). The time for talk is long over. I only care about their actions now.

I can accept a loss when they fought their ass off. Let’s at least see some consistent fight from this team.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

It wasn't that long ago the Bills were in the same boat. The Pegula's need to find the hockey version of Beane and McDermott.  The Bills are the perfect example as to what can happen when you have the right people in charge. If the Pegula's can find that for the Sabres then they will become a good team again.

I'm a Bills and Islanders fan and I've seen it happen to both teams in the past few years. Things can turn around relatively quickly with the right coach and GM. The Pegula's pulled the plug on the Rex Ryan fiasco before it got any worse and they've seen the results so there should be hope they can turn the Sabres around too.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I wonder how many people would care if the Sabres packed up and moved? I mean, I wouldn't like it but I also know this team is straight up garbage. I now watch out of some kind of stupid loyalty. It certainly isn't entertaining.

I get it because they have really become unwatchable and this has been going on for a decade now.  But I still think it would hurt like hell if the Sabres left town.  They have too much history here and WNY is without a doubt a hockey town.  It's not like Buffalo would be given an NBA team or something like that all of a sudden if the Sabres left and there just isn't much to do in the Winter time.  If they Bills could finally figure things out I have faith the Sabres will eventually figure it out.  When the Sabres are playing well this town is electric during hockey season.

27 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I get it because they have really become unwatchable and this has been going on for a decade now.  But I still think it would hurt like hell if the Sabres left town.  They have too much history here and WNY is without a doubt a hockey town.  It's not like Buffalo would be given an NBA team or something like that all of a sudden if the Sabres left and there just isn't much to do in the Winter time.  If they Bills could finally figure things out I have faith the Sabres will eventually figure it out.  When the Sabres are playing well this town is electric during hockey season.

The Bills are not being run by the owner's wife on a whim, as a hobby.

I've been saying for over a year now, the best Sabres fans can hope for at this point is for Pegula to sell the team and focus on the Bills.

We (the Sabres) are now stuck in a form of institutional irrelevancy, much as the Bills were for the last 15 years or more of Ralph Wilson's life.

It will end when Pegula sells the Sabres, or he and Kim have a drastic re-think as to what they are doing and completely change who they are and how they run the team.

It would be easier (as a fan) for them to simply sell the team.

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I've been saying for over a year now, the best Sabres fans can hope for at this point is for Pegula to sell the team and focus on the Bills.

We (the Sabres) are now stuck in a form of institutional irrelevancy, much as the Bills were for the last 15 years or more of Ralph Wilson's life.

It will end when Pegula sells the Sabres, or he and Kim have a drastic re-think as to what they are doing and completely change who they are and how they run the team.

You would think given the success of the Bills that they would follow the same model with the Sabres. Different sports but you still need a strong management team in place. The Pegula's know they have that with Beane and McDermott so why not try to find that with the Sabres. I don't follow the Sabres that closely (Isles fan) but if Kim is calling the shots then their is no hope for WNY's hockey team.

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

The Bills were never in that boat... NHL is much easier to get better than the NFL. Yet... Sabres can't get it done.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Who's going to buy the Sabres? I mean, the arena is getting older by the day, the Harbor Center and 716 would have to be included in a sale. I just don't see the Sabres as being a team that can be sold as is. The price tage will be way too high. The Pegula's, like them or not, are it.  

Edited by Beast

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

This is very true.

I don't think the owners understand that.

Terry Pegula was a Sabres season ticket holder for 18 years. He knows as well as anybody the fervent nature of the fans, especially when cup fever hits the city. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

this team is such a mess. where do you even start to fix this turd

Well, if you are the Pegulas, you get the F out of the way and try to hire professionals to the run the business for you.

Until that happens, expect more of the same.

It's been a decade now!

54 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Well, if you are the Pegulas, you get the F out of the way and try to hire professionals to the run the business for you.

Until that happens, expect more of the same.

It's been a decade now!

Ralph Krueger is 100% a professional.  There are players with talent, obviously, but it seems that whoever they put on the ice it ends up moribund.  Tim Murray is far and away the biggest culprit and they are still digging out if the hole he dug.  The best hockey minds money could buy would need time for that but Bots was far from a strong hockey mind and made things worse.  Adams needs a chance.  I have no idea why Eichel is playing like someone that would get back a 4th round pick at the trade deadline.  It’s baffling.  

On a positive note there are only 37 years left on Okposo’s contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.