Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

Sabres desperately need to at least get league average goaltending.

Ideally they’d trade for a starting caliber goalie.

Get a slightly above average goalie and they may actually have a shot at the playoffs, especially if the goals start going in for them. The chances are there and net front presence is definitely getting better. They’ve been unlucky though (according to the advanced stats). 

What will happen if Skinner won't buy into Ralph's system ? At $9M a year that's not good news. I would just put him back with Jack unless Jack won't take him . 

From the Aud Club

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/28817-the-ralph-krueger-put-jeff-skinner-on-the-4th-line-discussion-including-an-excerpt-from-the-instigators-thread/

• Like (+1) 1

Lucky to get a point after that craptastic display. Totally unprepared to play a ranger team that kicked our assess in the 3rd period on Tuesday and who you knew were gonna come out of the gate hard tonight. Perhaps the boys were reading their recent press clippings. Anyway, the entire team, save Ullmark was not ready to play. 

I’m looking at you Ralph. 

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

there’s no way you can say that wasn’t intentional.

I know Skinner gets under people’s skin and maybe he did before that but IMO that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the line and deserves: 

1. A massive suspension.  Just because the guy missed he should not ever be excused for that.  A few inches and he literally could have killed him.  Plus using a skate as a weapon should really be revocation of his man card.  Hit him it you want to hit him.  Your skate?  Really?

2. The next time they play the Sabres need to hammer that guy.....like drop the gloves and all five go right after him hammer.  I can see how it might have been missed during the game because it wasn’t obvious like Lucic/Miller but it was bad and they can’t let it slide.

My expectation is a fat zero from Bettman.  Let’s hope Ralph noticed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I know Skinner gets under people’s skin and maybe he did before that but IMO that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the line and deserves: 

1. A massive suspension.  Just because the guy missed he should not ever be excused for that.  A few inches and he literally could have killed him.  Plus using a skate as a weapon should really be revocation of his man card.  Hit him it you want to hit him.  Your skate?  Really?

2. The next time they play the Sabres need to hammer that guy.....like drop the gloves and all five go right after him hammer.  I can see how it might have been missed during the game because it wasn’t obvious like Lucic/Miller but it was bad and they can’t let it slide.

My expectation is a fat zero from Bettman.  Let’s hope Ralph noticed.

Looks like the skate comes up because Skinner tried to trip him.

Art Panera Bread's goal was a lucky bounce.

That was a bull#### hit on Okposo.  That hit should be reviewed and someone needs to go after him next time we play NYR.

Linus stood on his head and made some incredible saves yesterday.  I can't recall the last time we saw a Sabres goalie commit robbery like that.

The Power Play continues to click.  

Skinner can't buy a goal.  I saw a stat that Skinner, Montour, and Dahlin lead the league in shots without a goal.

Dahlin flipped a guy.  Showing some toughness.

We stole a point even though after tying the game at 2 the Sabres sat back as if they were leading by 2 in the 3rd.

Eichel's turnovers were the start of two goals against.  Absolutely terrible giveaways by the captain.  

I thought Olofsson looked good with Staal. Not sure about moving Hall to second line and Olofsson up to first.

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

Lucky to get a point after that craptastic display. Totally unprepared to play a ranger team that kicked our assess in the 3rd period on Tuesday and who you knew were gonna come out of the gate hard tonight. Perhaps the boys were reading their recent press clippings. Anyway, the entire team, save Ullmark was not ready to play. 

I’m looking at you Ralph. 

Teams not showing up for entire games, or 1 or 2 periods is a part of the modern NHL.  Some nights BOTH teams do this.  And then they blame the schedule.  "back to back games" or "third game in 4 nights", etc.  

As I often point out, your typical regular season NHL hockey game how has the intensity and competitiveness of a high school scrimmage played at Lincoln Park in the Town of Tonawanda.

I know because I used to play in those! LOL

Empty buildings only take a terrible product and make it a lot worse.  

The new unwritten code is "go along to get along," keep it easy going, no one gets hurt, and the pay checks keep rolling in. Don't hit me, I don't hit you...and let's not break too much of a sweat here.  Thanks.

Thankfully, the playoffs are still like the old days, and a completely different sport.

I watched last night's game as I always do, online for free, in about 1.5 hours FF-ing through all breaks, delays, and intermissions.  I have no idea how people sit through these things in real time.

It doesn't help that RJ and Rob Ray are easily among the worst 3 pairs of announcers in the NHL currently working.

I LOVE RJ TO PIECES but he needed to retire 3 or 4 years ago.

I also LOVE RAYZOR TO PIECES.  He was actually pretty good as the third man working from ice level, but as the color guy in a 2 man team, he is atrocious.

I hate to say it, but I now tend to watch only the other team's broadcasts, some of which are so much better than the current Sabres' product as to be quite sad.

I genuinely don't know what young person or viewer new to the game of hockey would stumble across an NHL regular season game on TV and think "Oh this looks interesting.  I need to dive into this!"

In the old days when ESPN televised NHL games, they would point out that the PBA got better ratings for freaking bowling matches than an NHL hockey game! 

The product is a lot worse now.

With a win today the Sabres cam move into a playoff spot.

Lets see how bad the players actually want to make the playoffs. A lot of times I kind of feel like it’s just lip service (even with Eichel). If they truly want to make the playoffs they should look like the more desperate team on a nightly basis, not just an occasional game or period here and there.

I really do think they’ve been playing pretty good overall this season. Their team defensive structure has been impressive and they’re creating more scoring chances + starting to get to the dirty areas more consistently. But I’m still left wanting a more consistent effort. I know it’s tough to play every game with the energy they had during that 1st Philly game (where they looked like they simply wouldn’t be denied), but that should be the goal (IMO).

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

With a win today the Sabres cam move into a playoff spot.

Lets see how bad the players actually want to make the playoffs. A lot of times I kind of feel like it’s just lip service (even with Eichel). If they truly want to make the playoffs they should look like the more desperate team on a nightly basis, not just an occasional game or period here and there.

I really do think they’ve been playing pretty good overall this season. Their team defensive structure has been impressive and they’re creating more scoring chances + starting to get to the dirty areas more consistently. But I’m still left wanting a more consistent effort. I know it’s tough to play every game with the energy they had during that 1st Philly game (where they looked like they simply wouldn’t be denied), but that should be the goal (IMO).

They have been pretty good, though the last Rangers game was their worst effort of the year. Ullmark single-handedly stole that point.

The most disappointing player so far has been Eichel. Could be lingering injury or not having a full camp. But he's been very meh this year. I'm hoping the good play isn't another early season mirage like the last few seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

-Nice to see Skinner get some time with the top line tonight.  He had a great feed to Lazar who couldn't finish.  Feels like I'm saying that a lot lately. 

"Mark" Staal continues to produce. Stay out of the penalty box Mark!

-Krueger's plan to juggle the lines and lineup every single game strikes me as odd, but one adjustment needs to be permanent.  No more Tage on top line and Cozens needs to stay in the lineup.

-Hall had a miserable game. Non-stop giveaways, an offensive zone penalty, a lot of running around to littlel effect after Ralph put him with Staal.  I don't know why Ralph played Hall the whole OT.

-Ullmark played another strong game aside from drifting off the post on that 3rd goal. The team defense is vastly improved so far and Ullmark has made big saves when called upon.

-Eakin and Rieder are looking like solid acquisitions.  I like the speed they bring, they're great on the PK, and Rieder is pitching in with 3 goals on the year, more than Eichel and Skinner combined.

-Olofsson has great hockey sense on the ice.  His playmaking ability is shining this year.  Hes not JUST a finisher but he is a hell of a finisher.  Is there a quicker release in hockey? 

-Ristolainen looks very steady.  Hes easily been the best Sabres defenseman this year in my opinion and he has the best +/- on the team at +3! I am glad the team stuck with him because he is really settling in and looking like the player many of us thought he could be. 

-Dahlin looked lost out there today. Ugly.  Side note: Dahlin and Reinhart have the lowest +/- on the team at -7.

-Sabres inability to win in regulation is concerning as that has been the story for a few years now.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.