Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

That’s more like it! 

Plenty of talent on the team, I just hope they can continue to build some chemistry. Just not a lot of room for growing pains with the shortened season. Glad they got a couple critical points, would be tough sledding stacking too many loses.

Skinner was all over the place but man is he snakebit. He can't buy a goal right now.  But his line scored twice last night and they were buzzing all game.  More time for the 4th line please.  3rd line was mostly invisible so that shouldn't be hard.

January 13th, 2021 - January 18th, 2021 - RIP to the Tage 1st line experiment.    Eichel - Hall - Reinhart is here to stay.

Olofsson has the quickest release I have ever seen.  Just filthy.

Good game for Hutton.  He didn't face too many challenges and didn't give up any softies.  

I expect to see a more motivated Flyers team tonight.  A win here would be quality.

There's no question that the Sabres should be the most desperate team every night in the NHL.  That playoff draught is a huge monkey on their backs.  Last night they showed it.  There will be a big push back from Philadelphia tonight but the Sabres can't play on their heels and defend. Gotta keep pushing the pace.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

LOL.  1-3.  Very little has changed with this team, though some of the names are different.

The PP should be good, but there's not a lot here to be excited about.

The team's energy level is somewhere between dead and non-existent.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL.  1-3.  Very little has changed with this team, though some of the names are different.

The PP should be good, but there's not a lot here to be excited about.

The team's energy level is somewhere between dead and non-existent.

I thought they played well last night.  They gave up a goal late while pressing but other than that I felt they had the better scoring chances.  If Skinner elevates the puck he might have had a pair of goals last night.  Skinner is totally snake bit.  Olofsson had a shot at a wide open net and held the puck until the opportunity passed.  They need to capitalize on their chances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I swear many just don't watch the games and just look at the record and say same old Sabres. Many forget there was no pre-season, its going to take time to get into regular season shape. Outside of the first game they have looked pretty good. Once they start scoring they will start winning games. 

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I swear many just don't watch the games and just look at the record and say same old Sabres. Many forget there was no pre-season, its going to take time to get into regular season shape. Outside of the first game they have looked pretty good. Once they start scoring they will start winning games. 

Oh I watch every game. And the bolded part of your response is the problem. They still can’t score consistently and will continue plodding along as a below average team until they do. I expect this year to be much like the last couple. Mostly frustrating with the occasional glimmer of a competent team. 

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I predict they win every game in which they score more than the opponent does.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Oh I watch every game. And the bolded part of your response is the problem. They still can’t score consistently and will continue plodding along as a below average team until they do. I expect this year to be much like the last couple. Mostly frustrating with the occasional glimmer of a competent team. 

It’s very frustrating.  They have a good coach IMO and clearly have a number of good players.  I’m not sure what the issue is anymore but it seems like some of the players are simply useless and allows the other team to bottle up one line most nights and be done with it if they do.  It is a combination of horrible drafts/acquisitions like Mittlestadt and Tage, picking up guys 5 years too late with Staal being this year’s example, rushing guys like Cozens, trying to make one trick ponies like Skinner become more than what they are.....etc.  Skinner is a waste of space when he isn’t on Eichel’s line and he gets paid a billion a year.  Reinhardt is just ok but seems to be valued as a cornerstone.  

There are two cornerstones of this team: Eichel and Dahlin.  The goalie with the long name might become one someday.  Hall is one if he stays.  After that, we have guys who either suck, are 47 years old or are 15 years old.  That is STILL Tim Murray’s fault.  He completely ruined this team.  Botts was inept and unable to move anything forward in any substantial way.  Adams needs to be better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Ullmark back in net tonight.

Okposo was back on the ice for practice. Sounds like he’s ready to play but I’m not sure if he’ll be on the lineup tonight.

also:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30754041/washington-capitals-alex-ovechkin-3-other-players-least-4-games-covid-19-protocols

Caps are dealing with a potential covid outbreak.

Ovechkin, a three-time NHL MVP, was placed on the league's unavailable list Wednesday along with No. 1 center Evgeny Kuznetsov, starting goaltender Ilya Samsonov and top-four defenseman Dmitry Orlov.

Those are big losses. Especially the first 3.

We play them twice in the next 3 days. The Sabres have to take advantage of this and make up some ground. 2 wins would put them back at .500. 

Let’s get it done Buffalo!

I’m hoping the Sabres will be extra fired up to get Ullmark a win tonight in his first start since he lost his (63yr old) dad on Monday. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What do you think of this . CBJ fans seem to love it. Torts hated PLD. 

Laine to me is the better player 

It’s an interesting trade. Both players were unhappy and wanted out. Neither really got what they wanted...

PLD (reportedly) wanted to go to a big city. Winnipeg is like NHL’s Siberia.

But I read his dad coaches Winnipeg’s AHL team in Manitoba.

Laine (reportedly) wanted to play with a true #1 C and the blue jackets current best center is now Domi(? 😬). 
Supposedly he also wanted to go somewhere he could kind of be the guy and get steady top line minutes.

Laine is definitely the better goal scorer. He’s one of the best pure goal scorers in the NHL (IMO). 
PLD plays a bit better 2 way game (but still isn’t the greatest 2 way player). Laine doesn’t really play much defense from what I’ve seen in my limited viewings. 

So I think it all depends on how Tortorella and Laine mesh. I don’t exactly see Laine as a Tortorella type player but he made it work well with Panarin. 

It also depends on what happens with both guys contracts - if either team can get the player signed long term.

I think Columbus wins this trade if they can sign Laine and he meshes with Torts. Laine is the better overall player IMO (when he’s playing like he did his 1st two seasons) and Getting Roslovic for a 3rd should help their C depth (assuming he’s able to stick at center). 
If Torts uses Laine similar to Panarin it changes the whole dynamic of that Blue Jackets team. Panarin drove their whole offense. They haven’t really been the same since he left. I don’t know if Laine can drive the offense the same way, but we’ll see. he’s also been somewhat disappointing in recent seasons. And I’m not sure how he looks with CBJ’s current centers. PLD was their best center without a doubt. But CBJ needed an elite goal scorer.

PLD could be a nice fit for Winnipeg too, if he’s happy and willing to sign long term there. He was a beast in the playoffs.
They really have some envious depth at center now.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Coming off his best game of his career after a pretty solid first four games, Dylan Cozens gets benched after a rest day. Makes no sense. I’ve had enough of Krueger’s too clever by half, doctor of hockey psychology, wanna be zen master bullcrap. He’s beginning to make Housley look like he actually knew what he was doing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.