Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

That went about as I expected. It looked like a bunch of guys who haven’t played hockey in a long time. Rusty, sloppy, out of sync, timing off, guys getting tired quick...

Despite the piss poor d zone play and big mistakes the Sabres were still in it right till the end. It took Eichel quite a while to get going too. He looked super rusty. Lots of guys did. 

I’m anxious to see how they look tomorrow night. Let’s hope they shook off some of the rust tonight and come out looking more ready to play. I think we can compete with this Washington team. I totally forgot they hired Peter Laviolette though. That sucks. Why couldn’t they have stuck with Todd Rierden for 1 more season? 😂

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Having Thompson on a line with Eichel is a pointless waste.

Tage belongs in Rochester.

It was disheartening to see that Eichel took the night off tonight, after 10 months of not playing hockey.

Hall looked good; he'll be gone after this year so enjoy him while he's here.

42 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Tage belongs in Rochester.

It was disheartening to see that Eichel took the night off tonight, after 10 months of not playing hockey.

Hall looked good; he'll be gone after this year so enjoy him while he's here.

I disagree. Nobody took a night off. They were rusty from not playing for 10 months. Washington didn't look much better. It's going a bit for them to gel. Especially with not having any preseason games. 

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It was the first game back with no preseason. I'm expecting a better game tonight with Ullmark in net. I'm guessing you didn't even watch the game. 

It was the first game back with no preseason for both teams.

I watched. Washington was better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t want to overreact to one bad game, but they didn’t look good. Washington also looked sloppy and still probably should have had a couple more goals.

Don’t really understand the strategy with Skinner or Tage. Hutton let in one softie, but for the most part he wasn’t getting much help in front of him.

But fret not, Eichel and Staals hair was looking great...

Edited by Rockpile233
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It was the first game back with no preseason. I'm expecting a better game tonight with Ullmark in net. I'm guessing you didn't even watch the game. 

Im guessing that you’re wrong a lot. I watched the first 2 periods. But thank you for updating me with things that everyone already knows 

Rambling thoughts on last nights game:

Hall was the best player on the ice in blue.  He was all over the place making things happen.  He and Olofsson show some real chemistry with the PP and extra attacker.  Despite his efforts, top line really struggled to get much of anything going until the 3rd when the Caps were hanging back and defending the lead. 

Staal line was the only line to generate some sustained pressure in the offensive zone through the first two periods but generated only one or two scoring chances from it.

Defensive breakdowns were the story of the game in my opinion.  Montour went fishing on the first goal and let his man go through free for a 2 on 1 ten feet from the net.  Oshie had a free path to the crease on the PP goal.  Carlson basically has a breakaway after a turnover in the neutral zone.  Then there is Staal's gift to Vrana.  Dahlin plus a bouncing puck = scoring opportunity.  Tough to blame Hutton.  Maybe the wrist shot from the blue line which had eyes through the traffic and the rebound that was left for Oshie?

I like Rieder's energy.  At least let Skinner play with Rieder.  I don't think Cozens is ready for the NHL.

• Agree 1

I'm surprise some of you were not happy with Thompson last night. I thought he looked way better than the last time we saw him in Buffalo.

I take it will be Ullmark tonight. Hopefully he plays well.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.