Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I think Olofsson brings next to nothing to 5 on 5 play.  This Skinner deal will go down as an absolute disaster unless Krueger can get something out of him.  I find it hard to believe that one of the league's best scorers the past few years just forgot how to play.

What I don’t understand is it is rumored that Krueger dislikes him because he doesn’t play a 2-way game. So he puts him on the checking line? At least you get scoring from him if he’s on the top 2 lines. This way you’ll get next to nothing and he’s the 3rd highest player on your payroll. 😔

17 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

What I don’t understand is it is rumored that Krueger dislikes him because he doesn’t play a 2-way game. So he puts him on the checking line? At least you get scoring from him if he’s on the top 2 lines. This way you’ll get next to nothing and he’s the 3rd highest player on your payroll. 😔

I really don't understand that rumor because Reinhart is atrocious defensively and Jack is no saint.  Rino has zero back check.  Zero. 

On a team that is starved for scoring and plays miserable team defense one might think there is room for Skinner.  Glad to see Tage is developing.  He had better score 20 plus goals on the top line.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I really don't understand that rumor because Reinhart is atrocious defensively and Jack is no saint.  Rino has zero back check.  Zero. 

On a team that is starved for scoring and plays miserable team defense one might think there is room for Skinner.  Glad to see Tage is developing.  He had better score 20 plus goals on the top line.

That’s what makes me think that there could be more going on behind the scenes w/skinner. We don’t know what is happening in practice and meetings that could be contributing to whatever the issue is.

Thats why it’s so hard to judge stuff like this as fans, since we really only know a small fraction of what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s what makes me think that there could be more going on behind the scenes w/skinner. We don’t know what is happening in practice and meetings that could be contributing to whatever the issue is.

Thats why it’s so hard to judge stuff like this as fans, since we really only know a small fraction of what happens.

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ralph-krueger-confident-jeff-skinner-will-bounce-back-for-sabres/

Reading between the lines it sounds like:

1. Skinner wasn't buying into the Krueger system of play

2. Ralph is trying to roll 3 lines that have some threat of scoring

“He’s worked hard in the offseason,” Krueger said on a Zoom call Sunday. “He’s coming in here and for us, it’s important no matter your role, no matter your skill level is that in general you play within the principles. He’s continuing to work on that together with the coaching staff. I think once he lets that go and relaxes and trusts his instincts, he’s going to give us what we need, which is we need scoring right through the lineup, and the present setup will give that line opportunity to add to our offense.”

"It’ll be important for Jeff to just keep working hard,” Krueger said. “And again, our principles need to be the guideline, but within that framework every player has the opportunity to let his genius express itself. For Jeff, that’s usually in the danger zone in front of the other team’s net. So his linemates need to get him there, he needs to do the work to get himself there and the goals will follow. It’s always hard work before you get rewarded.”

• Like (+1) 2

Keep an eye on our goaltending.  If it doesn't improve substantially, we'll miss the playoffs again for sure, regardless of how well the skaters play.

I'm not sure why we should expect the goaltending to improve, but it has to.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Keep an eye on our goaltending.  If it doesn't improve substantially, we'll miss the playoffs again for sure, regardless of how well the skaters play.

If we do nothing more than improve the PK, our goaltending will improve as well. Ullmark’s numbers 5v5 are indicative of solid net minding. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Ulmark had a respectable .915 save% last year and has been a better than .500 goalie both the last two years with minimal help.

I'm way more concerned with getting production from the wings than I am with Linus.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Maybe now that Hutton isn't as blind he won't ***** his pants as much.  

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately, the season starts in January this year which has historically been a month where the team crashes back down to the bottom of the division after a surprisingly hot start.  But we have some new pieces and promising young rookies in the lineup who know nothing about our culture of losing and Ristolainen has a crazy new haircut so nothing would surprise me in a pandemic season.  

Over/under -

1.5 goals scored tonight 

10 mins of TOI for Skinner

2.5 goals allowed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.