Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

It's not new thread worthy, but since this is a hockey thread, I'll post it here.

Travis Roy died yesterday.  The name may not ring a bell but you probably remember the story.  Roy broke his neck seconds into his first shift as a freshman at BU.  It was almost exactly 25 years ago.  As a BU graduate, an athletic department employee, and a many year season ticket holder, I'd have to say he was probably the most beloved person around that building.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, shrader said:

It's not new thread worthy, but since this is a hockey thread, I'll post it here.

Travis Roy died yesterday.  The name may not ring a bell but you probably remember the story.  Roy broke his neck seconds into his first shift as a freshman at BU.  It was almost exactly 25 years ago.  As a BU graduate, an athletic department employee, and a many year season ticket holder, I'd have to say he was probably the most beloved person around that building.

I remember that.  Very sad that he has passed.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the NHL will have a season this year. Most likely there won't be any fans allowed at the games or sparse crowds like the NFL is doing. Unlike the NFL the NHL doesn't have that strong of a TV contract to survive without fans as they depend gate receipts that the fans bring in. Curious to see if the NHL can make it work.

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I wonder if the NHL will have a season this year. Most likely there won't be any fans allowed at the games or sparse crowds like the NFL is doing. Unlike the NFL the NHL doesn't have that strong of a TV contract to survive without fans as they depend gate receipts that the fans bring in. Curious to see if the NHL can make it work.

I sure hope so, and soon! Sabres have not played at all in so long 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I sure hope so, and soon! Sabres have not played at all in so long 

I want hockey to start as well since its my second favorite sport behind football. I haven't heard anything that hockey won't play but the league also hasn't officially announced a start date either. It already mid Nov so if they want an early Jan start date for example I would think something would have to be announced soon. Still need training camp and preseason games to get ready.

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I want hockey to start as well since its my second favorite sport behind football. I haven't heard anything that hockey won't play but the league also hasn't officially announced a start date either. It already mid Nov so if they want an early Jan start date for example I would think something would have to be announced soon. Still need training camp and preseason games to get ready.

The silence is very strange. Must be some serious issues they can't resolve, like who gets paid what and for how long? 

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-eichel-pleased-with-buffalo-sabres-offseason/c-319705298
Eichel happy with 'great moves' by Sabres in offseason

We're really excited," the Sabres captain said Tuesday. "They're great moves from management in the offseason. Now, more than anything at this point, you want to get back to playing.

"I think it's great. I think it definitely sparked some excitement in me and other guys in the room."

"Whenever you can add people like Taylor Hall and Eric Staal and Cody Eakin to your roster and the locker room, they not only bring talent to the ice but also veteran presence to the locker room," he said. "In a situation like ours where we're trying to find a winning culture with a young group and trying to figure out the right way to do things at times, I think having older guys can help you out especially during periods of adversity.”

"It's awesome."

• Like (+1) 1

Directv sent me an email yesterday to let me know that center ice package was about to renew on my account.  It's priced at the same number as last year.  What a slap in the face.  I thought maybe it was just an automated process, but no.  If it was, that would have kicked in over a month ago.  So I'd love to know who flipped the attempted robbery switch within that company.

I’m guessing the opening night roster will be:

G1: Ullmark

G2: Hutton

D1: Dahlin - Jokiharju

D2: McCabe - Ristolainen

D3: Miller - Montour

F1: Hall - Eichel - Reinhart

F2: Skinner - Staal - Olofsson

F3: Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo

F4: Mittelstadt - Cozens - Thompson

This is playoff-caliber! Good things seem to happen whenever an ADAMS is put in charge. It’s time to break the longest NHL postseason drought (9 seasons) and third-longest playoff series win drought (13 seasons, behind the Panthers and Maple Leafs).

As for when the new season begins, most likely it will have to be pushed back beyond the target January 1 date because of the expected holiday season Covid-19 flare-ups. I don’t know if you guys follow our Buffalo Bandits as well, but the National Lacrosse League cancelled their season back in mid-March and isn’t even bothering with the next one until mid-April (their usual start date is around early December)! Hopefully the new NHL season won’t have to be pushed back quite that far…

23 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I’m guessing the opening night roster will be:

G1: Ullmark

G2: Hutton

D1: Dahlin - Jokiharju

D2: McCabe - Ristolainen

D3: Miller - Montour

F1: Hall - Eichel - Reinhart

F2: Skinner - Staal - Olofsson

F3: Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo

F4: Mittelstadt - Cozens - Thompson

This is playoff-caliber! Good things seem to happen whenever an ADAMS is put in charge. It’s time to break the longest NHL postseason drought (9 seasons) and third-longest playoff series win drought (13 seasons, behind the Panthers and Maple Leafs).

As for when the new season begins, most likely it will have to be pushed back beyond the target January 1 date because of the expected holiday season Covid-19 flare-ups. I don’t know if you guys follow our Buffalo Bandits as well, but the National Lacrosse League cancelled their season back in mid-March and isn’t even bothering with the next one until mid-April (their usual start date is around early December)! Hopefully the new NHL season won’t have to be pushed back quite that far…

Once again, the Sabres will be on the outside looking in with that tandem in goal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.