Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Boy, paying a defenseman on the wrong side of 30 that kinda coin for that term is risky.

I'm really curious to see Hall in Blue and Gold.  He's a real difference maker.

Yep.  For the 1st time in ages they have 2 full lines worth of top 6 skaters & for the 1st time since at least the early '90's 2 of those are arguably in the top 5 at their position.

Fix the goaltending & if healthy, this should be a playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Boy, paying a defenseman on the wrong side of 30 that kinda coin for that term is risky.

I'm really curious to see Hall in Blue and Gold.  He's a real difference maker.

I didn't realize he was already 30.  The bigger guys always seem to break down quicker, which makes me wonder how in the hell Chara lasted as long as he has.  I can't remember ever seeing such a huge difference between the contracts signed by the top two free agents.  I'm still baffled by what the Sabres pulled off.

All I can think of is a while back when Selanne and Kariya as a package deal both signed one year deals with the Avs.  Where is our second part of the package?

13 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Been listening to WGR the past few days to hear some reaction to the Hall signing and all I get is Bills talk. What does amaze me is how many Bills fans that aren't from WNY anymore only care about the Bills but dislike hockey. 

They were talking about it all day on Monday. Do you have the radio.com app? You can go back and listen to old shows

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

They were talking about it all day on Monday. Do you have the radio.com app? You can go back and listen to old shows

I guess why it bothers me is that sports radio in Canada talks hockey non stop. In Buffalo outside the Sabres show, they will spend maybe a day talking about the Sabres. Everyday is Bills football day. 

10 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I guess why it bothers me is that sports radio in Canada talks hockey non stop. In Buffalo outside the Sabres show, they will spend maybe a day talking about the Sabres. Everyday is Bills football day. 

During the season there is a lot more hockey talk. I’m pretty sure the instigators is on everyday during the season. But I do know Monday morning Howard and Jeremy talked about the Hall signing for at least the first hour

• 2 weeks later...

I’m just glad it wasn’t a 2 year deal that walked Reinhart right to UFA. I was nervous about that happening.

———————————————————

Seems pretty unrealistic on the Sabres part. Ullmark’s ask is a bit high, but not as out of whack as the Sabres offer. I hope such a low ball offer doesn’t end up biting them in the ass in arbitration. I understand what they’re trying to accomplish but Sometimes when one ask is so unreasonable the arbitrator sides more with the reasonable ask/side (Ullmark in this case). 

Edited by BillsFan4

23 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's a good signing for both sides. Sam is still a RFA next year. He's a very good player, haters notwithstanding.

I hate when people bring him up in trade talks. To me, he’s a guy who makes his line mates better.

• Like (+1) 1

I think just Olofsson left now and about $6.5M in cap space. 

Adams is doing pretty good, even if he is just kicking the can down the road another year. I actually like the flexibility it gives the Sabres to sign Hall.

Edited by BillsFan4

On 10/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, BillsFan4 said:

I’m just glad it wasn’t a 2 year deal that walked Reinhart right to UFA. I was nervous about that happening.

———————————————————

Seems pretty unrealistic on the Sabres part. Ullmark’s ask is a bit high, but not as out of whack as the Sabres offer. I hope such a low ball offer doesn’t end up biting them in the ass in arbitration. I understand what they’re trying to accomplish but Sometimes when one ask is so unreasonable the arbitrator sides more with the reasonable ask/side (Ullmark in this case). 

The arbitrator can select any number in between the two offers, so of course the team is going to aim low.  Any player who is hurt by that is being completely dishonest since they're playing the same exact game on their side, setting the bar as high as possible.

On 10/26/2020 at 2:10 PM, shrader said:

The arbitrator can select any number in between the two offers, so of course the team is going to aim low.  Any player who is hurt by that is being completely dishonest since they're playing the same exact game on their side, setting the bar as high as possible.

I wasn’t worried about Ullmark being hurt by it. I was worried about the arbitrator siding with Ullmark.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn’t worried about Ullmark being hurt by it. I was worried about the arbitrator siding with Ullmark.

That was a good watch. In the last two Embedded episodes I’ve seen, Kevyn Adams doesn’t strike me as somebody who is out of his depth in the least. Quite the contrary, he seems very well prepared and capable. And a helluva lot more cerebral than JBotts, who seemed like a nervous wreck most of the time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 10/29/2020 at 11:21 AM, BillsFan4 said:

Not that it matters at this point, but the arbitrator can pick any number in between the two offers.  I'd be curious to see if an NHL arbitrator has ever set the contract at either side's asking point.  I'm guessing no.  But anyway, specifically with Olofsson, I'd have a hard time picturing the arbitration go towards his number seeing as how he doesn't even have a full season of NHL hockey under his belt.

People get it mixed up with baseball too much, where the arbitrator picks either the team's number or the player's.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.