Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

6 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

If they trade Eichel what is the point of even putting a team on the ice??? Why not trade Josh Allen while we are at it?

Also why aren't goalies the top picks? They are like the franchise QB in importance to a team...

I compare goalies closer to running backs at this point.  

8 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

If they trade Eichel what is the point of even putting a team on the ice??? Why not trade Josh Allen while we are at it?

Also why aren't goalies the top picks? They are like the franchise QB in importance to a team...

Goalies are more like running backs. Teams rarely take them that high. Hockey isn't like football. 98% of the time draft picks are 1-3 years from playing for you because they are still kids. Goalies especially are a crap shoot.

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I compare goalies closer to running backs at this point.  

Most important player on the ice followed by your top offensive player...

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Goalies are more like running backs. Teams rarely take them that high. Hockey isn't like football. 98% of the time draft picks are 1-3 years from playing for you because they are still kids. Goalies especially are a crap shoot.

Not if you took me number 1 Sabres...:wub:

I chuckle at people who hardly follow hockey, or at least prospects (you have to be a pretty dedicated hockey fan to watch junior hockey and follow prospects in all the different leagues. It’s hard to even get the games on TV in some places), who get furious about a draft pick they know very little about (besides whatever few articles they read or highlight videos they watched) because “reasons”. 

It just becomes group think.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A huge crap shoot. There are very few can’t miss goalie prospects, and even then they usually take 3-5 years to hit the NHL. Meanwhile goalies drafted in the 6th round pass them by...

Drafting goalies is tough. The Sabres used to be pretty damn good at identifying goalies though. I think some of that had to do with Jim Corsi. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Most important player on the ice followed by your top offensive player...

Goalies are very important for sure.  

The issue is, the position has become very technical as opposed to athletic and reactionary.  It is a spreadsheet on where to be depending on the positioning of the puck/players, etc.  In the late 80s/90s and even early 00s, you absolutely needed 1 of 8-ish 'franchise goalies' to stand a chance at finding playoff success.  Now, not so much.   Its not hard to be at the top of the league if you are willing to do the homework.  

The spread between the top goalie vs the #20 goalie is really negligible... and even down through like the #40 goalie.  Who are the 'franchise' goalies these days?  it seems to change year to year.  Goaltending results are largely a result of how the team is in front of them and how well the defensive schemes are being executed.    

Goalies also develop in a really weird pattern, always have.  It is VERY tough to figure out who a top goalie is at the age of 18.  The best practice it try to grab 1 goaltender every draft for a stable of goalies and let them flesh out in Juniors, NCAA, in Europe, etc, then the ones who emerge to the AHL when they are ready.   The Sabres have actually done this somewhat well.

One of my favorite resources for OHL prospects. 

https://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2020/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2020_28.html

5. Jack Quinn - Left Wing - Ottawa 67's

As stated, Quinn has seriously closed the gap for me between Rossi, Perfetti, and he. It wouldn't shock me at all if he was drafted before one or both. NHL scouts love this kid. IMO, Quinn was actually the better and more consistent OHL player in the second half for Ottawa, if we're comparing him to Rossi. My write up for Quinn is going to focus a lot on those who downplay his abilities for various reasons. The first is his age. Yes, he only missed last year's draft by a few days. I don't care. Human development is non linear. Quinn was playing AA hockey and was well under 6'0 before his minor midget year. Physically, this kid is a late bloomer and is the exact reason why we have the September cutoff. That extra year has allowed him to fill out his growing frame (now over 6'0), and improve his overall athleticism and skating ability. The second is the team he plays for. Quinn doesn't play with Rossi at even strength. He plays with Mitchell Hoelscher (a late round NHL draft pick), and either a converted defenseman (Belanger) or a rookie (Jack Beck). Yet, he led the OHL (with Nick Robertson) in even strength goals. He plays with Rossi on the powerplay, on the penalty kill, and when protecting a lead late. But he does not ride piggy back. Quinn is terrific at creating his own scoring chances. He is such a deceptive player in transition. He has such a high level shot that defenders have to try to be aggressive in taking away his space, so he exploits that by cutting to the middle, using defenders as a screen. He is also exceptionally intelligent without the puck. His anticipation as a goal scorer is outstanding. And his play away from the puck as a defensive player improved by leaps and bounds this year. This kid has to be considered one of the most complete wingers available this year. The third is the quality of the team he plays for. This is an easy one to refute. Maybe the 67's are as good as they are because of Quinn? Ottawa had more injuries than any team this year, and to key players, yet they found themselves on top because of kids like Quinn. Look, I won't pretend that Quinn's game doesn't have limitations. I don't necessarily think that he's a high level playmaker. He is great working the wall to prolong possession. However, in transition, he's usually very driven to score. And while his skating has improved a lot, it's still not elite. Likely equates to being slightly above average in the NHL. However, IMO, it's rare to find such a quality goal scorer, who also happens to have good size and plays a 200 foot game. This is a kid you can have on the ice if you need a goal, or are up a goal. His minutes won't have to be sheltered. For that reason, he's a candidate for the top 7 IMO.

He also says this:

For me, the players ranked 3 through 5 here (Rossi, Perfetti, and Quinn) are all pretty interchangeable. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them drafted in any combination of order, be it even Quinn first (he's got a way higher standing with NHL scouts than some internet scouts want to believe). 

edit - I won’t lie. When the Sabres were on the clock and both Rossi + Perfetti were there I wanted one of them. But mainly because they seemed to be the consensus higher ranked prospects according to most stuff I read (and I’ll bet it’s the same for most people who are upset). But as mentioned above, clearly NHL scouts were higher on this kid than the internet scouts and average fans were. Im willing to wait and see how this plays out. 

Quinn definitely adds an element that this team is missing - pure goal scoring and more important - a net front presence. Someone who actually likes to get to the dirty areas in front of the net. He made his living there last season. I also love his personality and (reported) work ethic & drive to get better. I think that’s extremely important. You can have all the talent in the world but with no drive it’s wasted (see: Alex Nylander). 

My main concern is that last season was an outlier. He quadrupled his previous goal output and had a pretty high shooting percentage. 

But he also seems like a late bloomer and he just started to focus solely on hockey in the last few years. He’s said that he didn’t really even have a good training regime until recently. I feel like there is a lot of untapped potential with this kid. Who knows, maybe he will end of being the steal of the draft! I’m excited to see what he can do with real professional coaching and training.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can't remember a time where we drafted a guy who was described as the best pure goal scorer in the draft.  That part is very intriguing, something that is lacking pretty much anywhere in this organization.  The only thing that makes me nervous is that I tend to shy away from the late bloomers in these drafts.

One complaint I saw somewhere was that they didn't get anything that helps this team in 2021.  That wasn't happening no matter who they took.  That suggests that people may have wanted to trade it, but look how that entire round played out yesterday.  That option wasn't happening either. 

Best case scenario, short term anyway, is that I want to see this kid lighting up the AHL in 2021-2022 (I believe he'll be old enough, too lazy to look that up).  There was no Cozens on the board this year, a guy we're hoping will contribute one year post-draft.

• Like (+1) 1

sounds good to me!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/381855/john-jason-peterka

"His unrelenting motor is a force multiplier in every zone. He's hard on every puck. He's an eager, willing combatant in board battles. He's violent, disruptive -- a real pain in the ass. He'll make second and third efforts where other players generally relent. He's rarely, if ever stationary, constantly scanning the ice when the puck isn't on his stick."

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

sounds good to me!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/381855/john-jason-peterka

"His unrelenting motor is a force multiplier in every zone. He's hard on every puck. He's an eager, willing combatant in board battles. He's violent, disruptive -- a real pain in the ass. He'll make second and third efforts where other players generally relent. He's rarely, if ever stationary, constantly scanning the ice when the puck isn't on his stick."

Reading this, all I could picture is Pat Kaleta without all the fighting and penalty minutes. Kinda brought a smile to my face. This would not bother me at all.

the end of this interview makes me nervous that we won’t be big players in UFA or trades. He made it sound like we will be looking for lesser role players and leaving room for some of the young kids. He’s saying the model is to build from within, and I get that. But we need to win now. With how cheap players are being traded for because of how tight money is, this feels like such a unique opportunity to get good veteran players for cheap. I hope they don’t pass it up because of some internal budget. Hopefully I’m just reading too much into his comments. 😂

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

the end of this interview makes me nervous that we won’t be big players in UFA or trades. He made it sound like we will be looking for lesser role players and leaving room for some of the young kids. He’s saying the model is to build from within, and I get that. But we need to win now. With how cheap players are being traded for because of how tight money is, this feels like such a unique opportunity to get good veteran players for cheap. I hope they don’t pass it up because of some internal budget. Hopefully I’m just reading too much into his comments. 😂

We do?  After being the league doormat for the last ten years, I'm sure a few more won't matter.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, shrader said:

I can't remember a time where we drafted a guy who was described as the best pure goal scorer in the draft.  That part is very intriguing, something that is lacking pretty much anywhere in this organization.  The only thing that makes me nervous is that I tend to shy away from the late bloomers in these drafts.

One complaint I saw somewhere was that they didn't get anything that helps this team in 2021.  That wasn't happening no matter who they took.  That suggests that people may have wanted to trade it, but look how that entire round played out yesterday.  That option wasn't happening either. 

Best case scenario, short term anyway, is that I want to see this kid lighting up the AHL in 2021-2022 (I believe he'll be old enough, too lazy to look that up).  There was no Cozens on the board this year, a guy we're hoping will contribute one year post-draft.

38 years ago we took a kid that scored 58 goals in 67 games for the Oshawa Generals sixteenth overall and...

.. Rated in The Hockey News draft preview issue as No. 7 overall prospect and No. 3 OHL prospect for the 1982 NHL draft. ... Ranked by NHL Central Scouting Bureau as the No. 7 overall prospect for the 1982 NHL draft. .

His name.was Dave Andreychuk.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Is GMKA aware that Free Agency began at Noon today? Lots of signings around the league, crickets so far from the Sabres. The Leafs snagged Wayne Simmonds on a 1-year deal.

Not expecting huge signings from the Sabres, but I did expect an upgrade in goal early.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/free-agency

Not a lot left in FA in goal. Maybe they have a trade in the works. So far, don't get not signing Kahun. I'd rather have kept angry Larry, too. It's one thing if you're bringing in good players, but so far it looks like they overpaid for Zemgus, bet on Tage (which I don't mind, actually) and then brought in maybe a 4th line PK fella that can't score.

• Like (+1) 1

why? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Bottom 6 guy. Fwiw, TSN doesn't have it listed yet on their official signings page.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/10/9/21509760/report-sabres-sign-rieder-to-one-year-deal-nhl

Meh. Decent 4th liner, good on the PK.

Not too impressed with Kevyn Adams signings so far. Nothing he’s done so far outside of the Staal trade has moved the needle at all.

Still holding out hope though. Lots of good UFA’s left. Lots of potential trade targets.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.