Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

On 8/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, BillsFan4 said:

First big upset - Montreal eliminated Pittsburgh from the play-in round. Montreal will advance to the playoffs. 

Coyotes eliminated the Predators too.

Leafs are facing elimination tonight (8pm EST). I’m torn because I’d lie to see them eliminated but I don’t want them getting the 1st overall pick. That would be a nightmare. Adding LaFreniere to Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Morgan Rielly, Nylander... ugh. 

Thankfully we played 2 less games than MTL and finished one less win and one less tie otherwise this could have been us!  Thanks Bettman.

• Like (+1) 1

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/08/10/new-york-rangers-win-2020-nhl-draft-lottery/

Rangers get #1 overall as Dr. Who mentioned. 

Id have definitely preferred for it to go out west but at least Toronto didn’t win it! ?

and at least LaFrienere won’t be in our division. Technically, with the teams in the bottom 7 and with Ottawa holding 2 top picks, all 3 of the top 3 picks could have ended up right in our division. So it definitely could have been worse. 

the NYR are going to be a really good team though. I love what their GM has done so far in their rebuild. It’s been about 10x faster than the Sabres too, but it sure helps when so many players want to live & play in NYC (and big time execs want to work there too, like John Davidson). They didn’t even have to go that hard after Panarin. They got Fox to sign there instead of going to UFA after he refused to sign elsewhere. They get good college free agents all the time (they’re basically in the running for any good college UFA they want). But Gorton has still done a phenomenal job with the rebuild. Can’t take that away from him.

edit - just saw that the Leafs 1st round pick sits at #13. 

They sent it to Carolina this past offseason to dump Patrick Marleau’s contract. ?? Ouch. 

Edited by BillsFan4

I don't care how you justify it, a team with 79 points picking 1st and one with 68 points picking 8th is absurd.    Red Wings look like one of the worst teams in history and they pick 4th?

Lotteries are a terrible idea, unless you're running the league and are more interested in helping big market teams than in helping crappy teams .

Then again, all the #1 picks in the world wouldn't make a difference for the Sabres.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I don't care how you justify it, a team with 79 points picking 1st and one with 68 points picking 8th is absurd.    Red Wings look like one of the worst teams in history and they pick 4th?

Lotteries are a terrible idea, unless you're running the league and are more interested in helping big market teams than in helping crappy teams .

Then again, all the #1 picks in the world wouldn't make a difference for the Sabres.

I never liked it from the start when it was only one team, but the three team lottery is a complete travesty.  Every year they've done it, there's been at least one big jump in the lottery order.  Hell, the Rags have done it now two years in a row.  The teams that desperately need the elite picks are being leapfrogged each year.  It will be fun to hear all of the "it's fixed" talk fire up after this one because right as they're in a mini-rebuild, the Rags are handed two elite prospects.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I never liked it from the start when it was only one team, but the three team lottery is a complete travesty.  Every year they've done it, there's been at least one big jump in the lottery order.  Hell, the Rags have done it now two years in a row.  The teams that desperately need the elite picks are being leapfrogged each year.  It will be fun to hear all of the "it's fixed" talk fire up after this one because right as they're in a mini-rebuild, the Rags are handed two elite prospects.

The fear that teams will all be jockeying to lose games at the end of the year is just idiotic.  As if a bunch of pro athletes are going to try to lose so that the team can draft a young kid who will take one of their jobs.  Right.    

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Imagine working in the Sabres PR department or the social media team and having to push these “new” jerseys. I like them but I’m too mad at the team for being god awful for so long

Sabres: "How's about we throw in a free Sabrejak?"

95% of the fans:  "ALL IS FORGIVEN!"  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

They nailed it for the most part.  Especially the white.  I like the extra stitching on the Buffalo. A minor complaint is the the two random white lines feel unnecessary.  I was a big fan of the late 90's jerseys but this is pry their best jersey combination ever.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

picture_65.1476232297.jpg

Why is that ? NOT behind a paywall?  Or a sneaky link?  ?

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

You could probably offer JC Penny $500 and a good case of beer to get the rights to manufacture and sell the line.

39 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

My mom has one stored away in her closet.  I really need to claim that thing at some point.  It's probably way too small for me since the original owner (her uncle) was almost a foot shorter than me.  But hey, it would still be a cool item to have on a wall or something.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They nailed it for the most part.  Especially the white.  I like the extra stitching on the Buffalo. A minor complaint is the the two random white lines feel unnecessary.  I was a big fan of the late 90's jerseys but this is pry their best jersey combination ever.

??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.