Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

John Chayka resigned. 

The coyotes didn’t pull any punches in their statement:

Here’s some details on what happened. It looks like the new opportunity was with another NHL team.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29555087/why-were-arizona-coyotes-angry-gm-john-chayka-quit

Reading that last sentence I was like “hmm... maybe the opportunity really was with the Sabres...”. 

But then I read the next line: @njbuff

I’m not really sure how I would’ve felt about Chayka in buffalo anyway. 

I haven’t heard anything about him coming to NJ, but I might be a little bit behind in the news to begin with.

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man, watching on and off last couple of days makes me all kinds of pissed at JBOT again. Their presentation seems to be far and away the best so far. 

25th... ?

I am thrilled to have live hockey back to watch, but It’s also kind of depressing watching all these other teams get ready for the playoffs. I know they didn’t deserve to be there (though neither do some of these other teams....) but I would have loved to see what Ralph Krueger could do in more of a tournament setting like this. He’s pulled off some pretty huge upsets coaching tournament play over the years (beating team canada for silver has to be the most memorable. That was Insane!). Plus, with all the time off and strange circumstances we see some weird upsets in these play in rounds. 

The Sabres have been known to get hot for a stretch too...

It would have been a lot of fun. Well, maybe. If they didn’t **** the bed right away. ?

• Like (+1) 1

It so nice having hockey back! 

Im enjoying this Montreal Vs Pittsburgh game. I’m kind of rooting for Montreal. Actually, I’m kind of rooting for every team in our division during this play-in round. Even Toronto. I don’t want that 1st overall pick to end up in our division. After the play-in round I’ll pick a new team to root for, but until then, Go East! lol 

play-in round Tv schedule:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2020/08/01/nhl-playoffs-times-tv-stanley-cup-games/5557652002/

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bbb said:

What slot gets the pick?

It’ll go to one of the 8 teams that don’t make the 16 team playoff round. So if a team loses in this play-in round, they’ll get a chance at #1 overall. I believe each team gets a 1 in 8 chance iirc.

So, for example, if Toronto doesn’t make the 16 team playoff round they’ll end up with a 1 in 8 shot at the #1 overall pick. It would be a f’ing nightmare if they added LaFreniere to Matthews, Marner, Tavares! 

I’m hoping the pick goes out west somewhere.

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’ll go to one of the 8 teams that don’t make the 16 team playoff round. So if a team loses in this play-in round, they’ll get a chance at #1 overall. I believe each team gets a 1 in 8 chance iirc.

So, for example, if Toronto doesn’t make the 16 team playoff round they’ll end up with a 1 in 8 shot at the #1 overall pick. It would be a f’ing nightmare if they added LaFreniere to Matthews, Marner, Tavares! 

Guaranteed right now..loser of the Pens-Canadians gets LaFraniere(sp) 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Oh, I thought it was already slotted, like to whoever finishes in the tenth seed or whatever.  So, they are going to have another ping pong thing or whatever they do? 

4 hours ago, bbb said:

Oh, I thought it was already slotted, like to whoever finishes in the tenth seed or whatever.  So, they are going to have another ping pong thing or whatever they do? 

Yep. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-round-2-explained/

The initial lottery, held June 26, was supposed to determine the order of the draft.

The Detroit Red Wings had the best individual odds at 18.5%. The Ottawa Senators came next, with their own pick rated at 13.5% and a pick they received in the Erik Karlssontrade with the San Jose Sharks (September 2018) at 11.5%, for a combined 25% chance of picking first. 

The other five teams that won’t be playing in the postseason include the Los Angeles Kings (9.5%), Anaheim Ducks (8.5%), New Jersey Devils (7.5%), and Buffalo Sabres (6.5%). “Placeholders” were included in the lottery for whichever teams lose in the Qualification Round. Labeled “Team A” through “Team H,” they had percentages ranging from 6% to 1%. The placeholders had a cumulative 24.5% chance of winning the lottery.

That 24.5% came through. When the dust cleared, Team B, with a 5% chance, landed in the top spot, followed by the Kings, Senators (from San Jose), Red Wings, and again the Senators. 

I feel for Detroit. That was worst case scenario for them. But I’m also kind of glad. There was a chance the top 3 picks from this draft all landed right in our division (Detroitx1 and Ottawa x2). 

The second lottery, to determine which team becomes “Team B,” will be held following the Qualification Round. Half of the 16 teams participating will advance to the actual 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs. The other eight teams will each have an equal chance to win the second lottery at 12.5%. 

One of the eight teams will pick Lafrenière (or another young stud). The other seven teams will select 9th through 15th.

So now the teams left in our division that are in this play-in round are Toronto, Montreal and Florida. If any of those 3 fail to quality for the playoffs, they’ll get 12.5% odds at that #1 overall pick. 

The other teams in the play-in round:

East- Pittsburgh, Carolina, NYI, NYR, Blue Jackets

West- Chicago, Calgary, Edmonton, Nashville, Arizona, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Minnesota

12 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yep. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-round-2-explained/

I feel for Detroit. That was worst case scenario for them. But I’m also kind of glad. There was a chance the top 3 picks from this draft all landed right in our division (Detroitx1 and Ottawa x2). 

So now the teams left in our division that are in this play-in round are Toronto, Montreal and Florida. If any of those 3 fail to quality for the playoffs, they’ll get 12.5% odds at that #1 overall pick. 

The other teams in the play-in round:

East- Pittsburgh, Carolina, NYI, NYR, Blue Jackets

West- Chicago, Calgary, Edmonton, Nashville, Arizona, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Minnesota

Thanks - great explanation! 

• Like (+1) 1

First big upset - Montreal eliminated Pittsburgh from the play-in round. Montreal will advance to the playoffs. 

Coyotes eliminated the Predators too.

Leafs are facing elimination tonight (8pm EST). I’m torn because I’d lie to see them eliminated but I don’t want them getting the 1st overall pick. That would be a nightmare. Adding LaFreniere to Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Morgan Rielly, Nylander... ugh. 

55 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

First big upset - Montreal eliminated Pittsburgh from the play-in round. Montreal will advance to the playoffs. 

Coyotes eliminated the Predators too.

Leafs are facing elimination tonight (8pm EST). I’m torn because I’d lie to see them eliminated but I don’t want them getting the 1st overall pick. That would be a nightmare. Adding LaFreniere to Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Morgan Rielly, Nylander... ugh. 

If the Leafs end up with the first overall pick, I'm done with hockey . . . alright, probably not, but I shall be very, very cross.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Toronto eliminated. Columbus definitely deserved to win this series. They were the better, more motivated team. 

Now we just cross our fingers that Toronto doesn’t win the #1 overall pick... ? 

The NHL is beyond absurd. What other sports league would give 24 teams, 77% of the league, a chance to win the championship or be awarded the first overall pick in the draft upon entering the same post-season tournament? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.