Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/kevyn-adams-has-a-low-bar-to-clear-for-drafting

‘Kevyn Adams has a low bar to clear for drafting’

Adams will need to do a lot better at selecting than his predecessors.

In the first round, where you have to hit on your pick, there have been too many misses in recent Sabres memory.

It really starts in 2012.... (continued in link)

Looking back through the last decade of Sabres draft past, the first round is not a pretty sight either (sic). From 2010-2016, seven out of 59 draft picks have played over 82 games for the team. Of those seven, just two came outside of the first round: Jake McCabe in the second round and Linus Ullmark in the sixth round of the 2012 NHL Draft.

I think he meant “outside the first round” is not a pretty sight either (and it’s not). 

Jeremiah Crowe, one of two pro scouts retained by Adams last week, was promoted to director of scouting, and Jason Nightingale, the Sabres’ director of analytics, will add the title of assistant director of scouting. An official announcement is expected Friday morning. 

Rather than having separate people run the pro and amateur scouting staffs, Adams chose to have scouts work under the same umbrella and the Sabres’ new model on both sides will include the integration of more video and analytics.

“We are going through the process of really looking at how we can do things more efficiently and effectively,” Adams told The Buffalo News. “One of the areas we really are looking at is our scouting system. To be honest, we want to be a little more progressive in getting away from the traditional pro and amateur scouting. We want to build more of a scouting staff. Everybody will have different roles and responsibilities and how we lay that out.”

“Where I see this overall is we have talented scouts that do more than just what traditionally has been done, where you just have an amateur scout and you just have a pro scout.”

the full article is worth reading.

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Not a conspiracy guy but that was RIGGED as hell.

Makes the play-in round more interesting.

What a total croc that was. Detroit got royally screwed. There is no way any team in the post-season tourney should be eligible for the top two picks in the draft. The NHL is a joke. 

And Buffalo with yet another 8th overall selection. See you in three years whoever it ends up being. Better yet, just trade that pick for whatever you can get because we need help now. 

• Like (+1) 2

Not totally Sabres related (and will also put in TSW) , but further proof that PSE financial condition is a mess.  Always bad news when you fire your top finance guy, but don't immediately name a replacement.

Chuck LaMattina out as executive VP of finance at Pegula Sports and Entertainment

Please oh Please hire this man!! He is exactly what Adams needs. One of the best talent evaluators in the NHL. I think he’s improved the scouting of almost every team he’s worked for.

and the hybrid scouting model he put together in Carolina is exactly what Adams is trying to do here:

https://buffalonews.com/news/rick-dudleys-hybrid-scouting-model-in-carolina-could-be-option-for-sabres/article_8023a4cb-b40b-53ec-b835-ccf13cb0cd3a.html

Plus he still owns a home in Buffalo. I can’t imagine a much more perfect hire than Dudley.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Pavel Zacha for Casey Mittelstadt?

No thanks, I’ll take my chances on Mittelstadt over Zacha at this point. Zacha is 5yrs removed from the draft and has 4 NHL seasons (of 6”+ games) under his belt. 

I don’t know if Mittelstadt will ever live up to the draft hype but I’m not ready to give up on him yet.

I’d include him in a package to get a legit, good #2 C under 30 if that’s what it took. 
Not really looking for a Nylander/Jokiharju type trade for Mitts yet (not that it’s up to me...). 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Please oh Please hire this man!! He is exactly what Adams needs. One of the best talent evaluators in the NHL. I think he’s improved the scouting of almost every team he’s worked for.

and the hybrid scouting model he put together in Carolina is exactly what Adams is trying to do here:

https://buffalonews.com/news/rick-dudleys-hybrid-scouting-model-in-carolina-could-be-option-for-sabres/article_8023a4cb-b40b-53ec-b835-ccf13cb0cd3a.html

Plus he still owns a home in Buffalo. I can’t imagine a much more perfect hire than Dudley.

This hire would instantly add credibility and markedly improve the perception folks have of the Pegulas. They could almost make it seem like they have a plan.

• Like (+1) 1

Originally at least 1 hub city was supposed to be in the US. They were actually planning on having both here for a while. Now it looks like neither will be in the US. Can’t say I blame them.

Edited by BillsFan4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.