Is now the time to remove OJ Simpson from the wall of fame and HOF?

Beast

Is now the time to remove OJ Simpson's name from the wall?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Remove OJ?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Since you’re going political, let me clear one thing up.  There is no racial issue in America.  

This is about cops and their overaggressive, militarized tactics. 

The left is using this event to further push their fake agenda. 

Although you might be partially right (as I just read a WSJ article on the topic).. Understand that this is not a proven fact, and you certainly cannot just blanket it across all situations.  Please be mindful that this opinion can anger other people who have dealt with personal experiences that you do not understand.

I based on statistics I've read on actual killings, it appears that the racial bias is not as bad as it seems.. BUT, i have not seen, or know if statistics on general harrassment from police force to people of color have been normalized to assess.  ALSO - there are statistics showing problems beyond just the Police.  I'd reccomend researching statistics on conviction rates and prison sentances for the same crime (white vs black) before assuming that this problem is distilled down to only police brutality.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/9/2020 at 9:14 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Kelly beat and cheated on his wife, Bruce Smith had a cocaine issue, and Daryl Talley has had such fits of anger that his wife and kids were scared for their lives, should they be off too?

And thats just what the public knows.   Every one of the guys listed on the wall of fame had some sort of issue.  I know this because they are humans.   They are on the wall because of what they did on the field not for what they did off the field.

Honestly, what we should do is never celebrate another human ever.  No more statues, no more awards, no more nothing because no one is perfect.  O.J. is far less than that as a human.   But the best idea is just remove everyone now from every wall and hall of fame, this way we dont have to ask these questions when they fail at being perfect.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:15 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

My question is why ask about it now? The only thing he might have done that should get him removed he did 25 years ago, and he was not convicted. Simply do not invite him back and leave it alone 

What these two posters said.   He''s in the HOF and he's on the Wall.  Leave it be.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

It was proven in the court of law that he was innocent.

It appears OP is suggesting we remove his name because of his race, to reach “racial harmony”.  Which is counter productive hence my “no” vote. 

Is that why he lost the civil case to her family and paid millions of dollars?

Do some research about how that trial was 'managed' and then come to your own conclusion. The court of law is not the court of mankind.

1 minute ago, Buffalo619 said:

The left is attempting to create a civil war on race. When the real issue is cops and their over aggressive tactics. Let’s not get distracted from the real point here.

Did you read what I wrote? There is data that you are ignoring.

ALSO calling it a Civil war on race pisses me off... Whites and Blacks are marching together on this one.

Edited by Jobot
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

He is/ was innocent. Any other opinion is false. 

The data is not the point. In reality this has NOTHING to do with race. 

Ah, got it, I know who I'm talking with now. Have a nice day.

11 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Has anyone ever argued CTE on OJ's behalf? Has nobody made that connection?

OJ isn't the first ex-husband/boyfriend to kill his ex.  In fact, it's so common that ex-husbands/boyfriends frequently top the list of suspects whenever a woman is murdered or disappears under mysterious circumstances.   From my memory of the well publicized murder trial, there was never any testimony by anyone claiming that  OJ displayed erratic behavior that might, in hindsight, be considered symptomatic of CTE.  He did demonstrate anger and a willingness to threaten his ex wife.

29 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

The left is attempting to create a civil war on race. When the real issue is cops and their over aggressive tactics. Let’s not get distracted from the point here. The majority of America have no racist thoughts or negative opinions of minorities.  

This is simply untrue.  The only groups that have been shown to trying to inflame a "race war" have been some white supremacist groups, which are part of "the Right" not "the Left".

Moreover, who made you an expert on what the "majority of America" thinks about anything?

Hitler was a pretty decent painter. I collect his pre-Nazi works because it wouldn't be right to collect the post-Nazi works. 

Come on. The answer to "Is now the right time to remove OJ" is ALWAYS and ONLY "YES." 

We are paying homage, totally optionally, to a double murdering wife beater. And that's not even all of his crimes. 

22 minutes ago, SoTier said:

OJ isn't the first ex-husband/boyfriend to kill his ex.  In fact, it's so common that ex-husbands/boyfriends frequently top the list of suspects whenever a woman is murdered or disappears under mysterious circumstances.   From my memory of the well publicized murder trial, there was never any testimony by anyone claiming that  OJ displayed erratic behavior that might, in hindsight, be considered symptomatic of CTE.  He did demonstrate anger and a willingness to threaten his ex wife.

He didn't just threaten her. Before he killed her, he beat her. 

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I've felt his name should've been torn off the wall long ago. The HOF isn't anything the Bills have control over, so who knows what would happen there. But yeah, I wish they'd remove that skidmark from their history.

You take it down, you get headlines and Tweets for 5 days, everyone moves on. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Removing the name won't change the circumstance.  Taking a name or statue down does not change anything.

No, but it stops giving homage to an undeserving person. And this is a sportsperson--its not like he was a slave-raper who wrote the seminal American document. 

OJ ran a football for a few years. Turned out to be a dirtbag. His numbers don't go away. Just our honoring of him does. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

All cops are white supremacists? No. This is nothing more than another hollow attempt of a coup, disguised as a race war.  America is not a racist country, doesn’t matter how many times the news says it, it’s not true.  

This is about cops being overaggressive with everyone, including dogs. They need to be regulated and demilitarized NOT defunded. 

Thank you. You also. 

I doubt you do, and I am only responding because literally.. LOL at your assessment of America right now.  It's like hearing an alcoholic try to convince other people he's not an alcoholic, by saying "I'm not an alcoholic"

4 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

It’s cool man. Critical thinking skills are required on the level I operate on.  

You shouldn’t label anyone until the problem is defined and established. In your analogy, if the user doesn’t think he is an alcolic then he is NOT. 

I would suggest to stop judging on superficial words and see the big picture. 

Bud, you were the one that labeled the problem...

6 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

OJ is god cause he is black and killed a whity. If you disagree you are a racist. 

It’s getting old. You’re convincing people you’re a Russia bot at this point.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Jobot said:

Did you read what I wrote? There is data that you are ignoring.

ALSO calling it a Civil war on race pisses me off... Whites and Blacks are marching together on this one.

The "civil war" is not between the races. Race is the wedge issue being exploited to initiate the conflict. 

Just as OJ, who distanced himself from the black community for most of his adult life, exploited race to influence his trial.

The real question is, if OJ can get away with murder, why can't Oliver have a few drinks and drive home?

Eh, a push to get OJ off the wall just gives more attention to OJ, which is what he seems to want given his recent twitter history. I would rather just leave him up and not worry about it or him ever again. 

48 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s getting old. You’re convincing people you’re a Russia bot at this point.

damn that post you quoted got clipped in record time. Good job mods. ?

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Sundancer said:

No, but it stops giving homage to an undeserving person. And this is a sportsperson--its not like he was a slave-raper who wrote the seminal American document. 

OJ ran a football for a few years. Turned out to be a dirtbag. His numbers don't go away. Just our honoring of him does. 

I don't think that anybody gives "homage" to OJ for the last quarter century.  I think that many like myself don't take pride in the greatest player to ever wear a Bills uniform because he so tarnished his legacy by his later actions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.