Is now the time to remove OJ Simpson from the wall of fame and HOF?

Beast

Is now the time to remove OJ Simpson's name from the wall?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Remove OJ?

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s a BS argument to say “we can’t agree on where the line should be so we can’t use a line”.  “I don’t think there should be a moral component” or “the line should be here” are valid arguments, however.  That holds whether or not I agree with them. 

I’m embarrassed to have OJ on our Wall of Honor.  I’d be embarrassed to have Ray Lewis, Aaron Hernandez or a number of other people on there too.  As you point out, 3 out of 4 people voting in the poll don’t have a problem with it.  That’s their opinion and while they are welcome to it, it doesn’t quite jibe with the outrage I see so often for players on other teams for doing almost nothing comparatively.  I mean, how do you complain about Brady deflating some footballs when you’re cool with keeping a dirtbag like Simpson (armed robbery and kidnapping convictions on top of that double murder thing) on your wall?  I can’t bring myself to do it.  I’ll just leave my part in this conversation at that. 

Now you’re misinterpreting (at best) what I’m saying completely. I never said I like it, I just wouldn’t take action.  If a new stadium were to go up and he wasn’t recognized there, I’m fine with that. I wouldn’t do anything to draw attention to his removal, especially at this point in time. 

I try not to play the morality judge. I think in many respects, he’s a despicable human being. What Brady (supposedly) did affected the game, on the field. During his career. He cheated the game. (I really think that was more Belichick and fumble related, but I digress.)

What if OJ never killed anyone (again, he was never convicted in criminal court), but it was later learned that he beat his wife decades after his career? Is he out then? Jim Brown had some serious problems in his personal life. Is he out of the HOF too? He may have been the best/most dominant player ever. How about Michael Irvin or Marvin Harrison? Do we banish them in some way? This is a long, long list. Should Lawrence Taylor be erased? He’s part of the history of the game, even with all his flaws. The HOF would have to rent out a lot of empty space is you want to play character police.  Eventually what you are left with is the Hall Of Well Behaved. 

Once you start this, you realize it’s just not practical to judge for off the field incidents, even bad ones, especially long after their careers, IMO. You can have your opinion, but again....where do we draw the line and who plays judge?  

I may not LIKE the people or the behavior, but if you judge one you have to judge all. Where is the line? 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It is a bit of a conundrum actually, Before OJ went insane, he was a hall of fame running back, he retired, did some rental car company commercials, etc, then he went bat sh-t crazy and murdered his ex wife and her lover/ partner, then he cleverly got away with it and did other crazy azs sh-t, so there you have it, arguments have been made on behalf of both camps on every Bills board that has ever existed. 

I agree with the guy, “Steve believe” above this post. I think the Football hall of fame should do something similar as well...  OJ is after all the poster child of weak men getting away with domestic abuse violence, an on going theme in our country... 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Has he had anything to do with Buffalo since he left?

Not that I have noticed, never heard him say a word about Buffalo that I can remember... but hell my memory is starting it’s 62nd year, there’s lots stuff in there that doesn’t need to be recalled...

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not that I have noticed, never heard him say a word about Buffalo that I can remember... but hell my memory is starting it’s 62nd year, there’s lots stuff in there that doesn’t need to be recalled...

I"m only 5 years behind!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Remove? Keep? Yes? No? 

I can’t vote. I looked at the results and I don’t even know what they mean. I think I know what the intent was, but don’t make me guess. 

This is why I’m not an autograph or jersey guy. These are just people, some more flawed than others, and we have no idea to what degree. I’ll cheer for our guys on the field. I don’t know what they are like as people. 

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Remove? Keep? Yes? No? 

I can’t vote. I looked at the results and I don’t even know what they mean. I think I know what the intent was, but don’t make me guess. 

This is why I’m not an autograph or jersey guy. These are just people, some more flawed than others, and we have no idea to what degree. I’ll cheer for our guys on the field. I don’t know what they are like as people. 

AMEN!   Who knows how the CURRENT Bills think or what they believe in!  It is NOT important to me.  It's a game that amuses millions of people.  A game and not relevant to real life.

3 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Has anyone ever argued CTE on OJ's behalf? Has nobody made that connection?

It's been argued. It's hard to say unless OJ has his brain examined which I don't think he has done. Based on everything we know on CTE, he definitely would suffer from it.

Anyway I don't think OJ's name should be removed from either. If he were convicted for the murders, they would've probably been removed. But even though he obviously did it, there's no great justification for it, other than... y'know, it's embarrassing for the Bills. He's one of the top 5 players in team history, easily, in terms of individual accomplishments.

4 hours ago, GregPersons said:

It's been argued. It's hard to say unless OJ has his brain examined which I don't think he has done. Based on everything we know on CTE, he definitely would suffer from it.

Anyway I don't think OJ's name should be removed from either. If he were convicted for the murders, they would've probably been removed. But even though he obviously did it, there's no great justification for it, other than... y'know, it's embarrassing for the Bills. He's one of the top 5 players in team history, easily, in terms of individual accomplishments.

Yeah, he's really suffering...

image.jpeg.c38d401c97afb83ce91ccd90ba48ba16.jpegOJ Simpson pulls up to golf club in his Bentley with disabled ...Las Vegas Locally ? on Twitter: "O.J. Simpson is safe and happy ...image.jpeg.52a616e8c9f033ea19e13ff0cd49d7ec.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, he's really suffering...

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you can't really identify brain diseases with these kinds of photos. You're going to need a CAT scan or something similar. Just in case you thought you might be making a good point with these, you weren't. Thanks for the images though, looks like he's doing well, which doesn't mean he doesn't have CTE.

Just now, GregPersons said:

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you can't really identify brain diseases with these kinds of photos. You're going to need a CAT scan or something similar. Just in case you thought you might be making a good point with these, you weren't. Thanks for the images though, looks like he's doing well, which doesn't mean he doesn't have CTE.

He suffers from no debilitating neurological disorder--even as an old man.  The topic is whether a debilitating brain injury led him, 26 years ago, to butcher his wife and another.

There is no imaging mode for detecting evidence of traumatic brain disease.  PET scan looked promising, but no.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He suffers from no debilitating neurological disorder--even as an old man.  The topic is whether a debilitating brain injury led him, 26 years ago, to butcher his wife and another.

There is no imaging mode for detecting evidence of traumatic brain disease.  PET scan looked promising, but no.

Fair enough, although — do we know enough about CTE to say he definitely does not have it, because he seems to be in fine health? Does it necessarily lead to decreased motor function in everyone?

4 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Fair enough, although — do we know enough about CTE to say he definitely does not have it, because he seems to be in fine health? Does it necessarily lead to decreased motor function in everyone?

It's a wide range of physical and mental illnesses that result.  No doubt his brain on autopsy would show he has tau protein in high amounts.  But CTE is really a clinical diagnosis.  Like an asymptomatic COVID patient does not have COVID flu.  You can't say an individual suffers from CTE if they have no symptoms from it.

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's a wide range of physical and mental illnesses that result.  No doubt his brain on autopsy would show he has tau protein in high amounts.  But CTE is really a clinical diagnosis.  Like an asymptomatic COVID patient does not have COVID flu.  You can't say an individual suffers from CTE if they have no symptoms from it.

Right. Well I think the theory goes that his erratic behavior is an indicator; mood swings like beating his wife and murdering two people and then less disastrous but some erratic behavior since then. To be clear though, I'm 100% speculating and I really have no idea — I thought you were just taking the piss with the photos but you seem to know what you're talking about, I believe you. 

Edited by GregPersons

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.